Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

The Next Step

(Kay's POV)

Today was the day. Chad and I were finally taking the next step and I was moving in. It was odd, but since the two of us had been spending nearly every day at either my place or his, it was as if we were already living together. It shouldn't be difficult... At least I hoped not.

Carina dropped my last suitcase into the trunk of my car before turning to look at me. “You still have time to change your mind, you know?”

I rolled my eyes. “I'm leaving, Car. Get used to it.”

My younger sister pouted and gave me a death glare all at the same time. I had no idea how she managed to pull it off. “You suck.”

“That really hurts my feelings.” I said sarcastically as I pulled my car keys out of my coat pocket.

“You don't have feelings. It's why you and Chad get along so well.” Carina shot back. She slid into the passenger seat as I got into the driver's.

“Cruel, Carina. Very cruel.” I told her although a laugh wanted to come out. My sister was ridiculous at times.

Carina spoke as if she was angry at me for leaving, but I knew she was relieved. She wanted Chad and I to move to the next level. We still hadn't said those dreaded three words to one another, but we cared for each other enough that moving in together was the next logical step. Carina and Aimee were worried that I still hadn't admitted my feelings to Chad, but after the amount of times I'd been hurt over the past few years, the last thing I needed was to get hurt again.

The biggest reason I thought my sister was happy I was moving on was because of the strange relationship she had formed with Jimmy Pop. They had met one another at a gathering for Kelly and Dan's wedding and although it was hard for all of us to believe, the two had never met before that. It'd been months since the wedding and they were hanging out a lot... I told Carina it was considered dating, but she wouldn't label it. I guess she was worried what our mother would say. Jimmy was the same age as Chad.

The silent treatment didn't last more than ten minutes before my sister was talking my ear off. The drive felt longer than the usual 45 minutes and once we pulled into the driveway, I was out of the car faster than we'd gotten in it.

Chad met us outside to help with the luggage. At the sight of my tiny Hyundai Accent filled with boxes, he met my gaze with a worried expression. “Is there more than this?”

I shook my head with a smile playing on my lips. He was cute when he was worried and didn't want to be. “Sadly everything I own fits into this car.”

“Really?” He asked as I popped the trunk. “What's with all the crap at the apartment?”

“Hey!” Carina snapped, grabbing a bag from the backseat. “If you must know, that stuff is mine.”

“And you managed to fit all of that into the Toyota?” Chad asked with a sly grin on his face. He knew the answer to the question before she even spoke.

“No! Of course not!” She rolled her eyes as if it were quite obvious... which it was. “I hired a moving truck for the rest.”

“That must have been expensive. I mean, someone had to drive that from Kingston, New York all the way to West Chester, Pennsylvania... Not to mention the miles you would have paid for...”

“Stop trying to be a smart ass.” Carina told him sharply. She tossed the bag in her hands at him which he caught with ease. “Just shut up and help us unpack.”

“Yes, sir.”

Carina took off towards the house with a huff. Chad lost it at the sight and I smirked, loving every minute of the sibling rivalry between my sister and boyfriend.

Loading the boxes into the house had taken a good portion of the afternoon. We'd gone into town for dinner before Carina jumped into her Toyota, which had been at Chad's house for the last month due to a transmission issue, which my loving boyfriend so happily paid to get fixed. I'd managed to unpack two boxes of clothing when I felt Chad's strong arms wrap around my waist. With a sigh, I leaned back into him, enjoying the feel of him holding me so securely.

“Carina is really mean.” Chad said with a chuckle.

The statement brought a bright smile to my face. “It's the only way she knows how to show love.”

I felt Chad pull his arms from me and confused, I turned to face him with a frown. “What's wrong?”

Chad looked down about something. “I'm an idiot, Kay.”

“What did you do?” I asked, fearing the worst. Did he already hurt me and I didn't even realize it?

“It's what I didn't do.” He said with a wry expression.

“I don't understand.”

“I heard you tell me you love me on Christmas morning. I just pretended that I was sleeping the whole time. I'm sorry. I didn't know how to react.” Chad seemed to be really upset over it.

I took his hand in mine and gave him a reassuring smile. “Babe- I'm not angry. It's alright. You weren't ready. You were scared. It's why I said it while I thought you were sleeping.”

Chad pulled one of his hands free and placed it softly on my cheek. He gazed into my eyes and I knew he wanted to get it right. So I waited silently.

“I should have done this before asking you to move in. I realize that now, but I don't mean it any less.” Chad took a breath before speaking his next words. The three words that would change everything for us. “I love you.”

Tears were in my eyes before I could stop them. “I love you too.”