Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

When Hell Freezes Over

(Kay's POV)

“Why are we here?” I asked as I plopped down on the couch between Eva and Aimee. Neither woman could give me a straight answer so I leaned back into the soft leather cushions. It was such a nice couch I could fall asleep if given a few minutes of peace. “Clubby pulled me from a nap so this better be good.”

Bam was standing at the pool table with Chad, Beth and Chris Raab. It didn't seem as if any of them knew what the hell was going on either. My sister was busy texting away on her phone on the loveseat across from us. I could probably guess who she was talking to. She and Jimmy had been hanging out so much the past year that they were practically an item.

“As long as Heather doesn't announce that she's going to be a mother then I'm good.” Aimee said with a laugh. “Can you imagine Clubby as a parent?”

“Or Dico?” Bam asked from across the room, overhearing our conversation. “That's a scary thought.”

“The fact that they're together is scary enough.” Chad muttered from where he stood. He noticed me watching him with a smirk. “What's so funny?”

“You are really bothered by the two of them, aren't you?” I asked, unable to hide my grin. It was so funny to see Chad uncomfortable. He always tried to act cool in a situation, but he was unhinged when it came to the pirate couple. I guess that applied to the rest of us as well.

“If you knew Dico as long as I have, you'd be bothered too.” Chad replied with a shiver of fear. “The things that man is capable of.”

“You clearly don't understand what we've gone through the past ten years with Clubby.” Aimee responded with a shake of her head. “You wouldn't be saying that if you did.”

Chad gave Aimee a weird look to which she smiled. The two of them loved to go at it recently and Beth had told me that the two of them acted like siblings. Now that I watched it in person, I had to admit she was right. The two of them acted more and more like brother and sister every day.

Dico and Heather walked into the room a few minutes later. Both of them had been acting awfully weird as of late and I didn't really think I was going to like what they had to say. With a serious expression, Heather took in the sight of all of her friends waiting on her announcement.

“So I have something to say to all of you.” Heather began, taking the time to meet each one of our gazes. I was starting to get worried.

“Do you have to be so dramatic?” Chad asked with an eye roll.

“It's dramatic news.” Heather replied, way too serious for my liking. Then it hit me.

“Are you sick?” I asked, unable to keep fear from my voice.

“What?” Clubby and Dico asked at the same time, confusion mirrored on both of their faces.

With a relieved sigh, I replied, “I guess not.”

“I'm not sick.” Heather said with a smile. “Actually I'm great. Better than great.”

The group of us just stared at her as we waited for her to continue.

“I'm pregnant.”

The silence that followed her announcement was eery. I didn't think anyone knew how to respond to it. I didn't know how to respond. When no one said anything, Heather glanced around in concern.

“Is everyone ok?”

“Yeah.” I said with a reassuring smile. “We're just in shock. How long have you known?”

“Two months and three weeks. I'm almost at the safe zone now so I thought we'd tell everyone. It's why I haven't been around as much lately.” Heather turned to her husband and took his hand in hers. The two of them were meant to be, that much was true, but I wasn't entirely sure children should have been in their future. I feared for my future children.

“Hell's frozen over.” Chad's voice cut through my thoughts and all of us glanced up at my boyfriend. “That's the only explanation.”

His muttering continued as he left the room and the rest of us laughed. It was all we could do.