Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Found

(Kay’s POV)

The spa was going to have to wait. We’d been walking through the mall at Amid and Jaimie’s request when Amid spotted a store he had to go into. It was a high fashion store and when I glanced into it, I realized what had grabbed his attention. There was a mannequin wearing a scarf that screamed Amid’s name at me. Glancing at the others, I noticed they hadn't even seen Amid disappear.

“I’ll keep an eye on the gay boyfriend. Meet you guys in about twenty minutes?”

The girls agreed and we split up to do the things we wanted to before we went to our appointment. The spa wasn’t far from where we were so we could hang out for about forty minutes before we’d be late.

I caught up with Amid near the button down shirts. “Looking for more work shirts?”

“No just some extra things for my closet.” He responded. Holding up two different shades of blue, he met my gaze. “Which color is better? The navy or the teal?”

I was never big with fashion or partial to a color so I shrugged. “I like them both.”

“You are very unhelpful.” He said with a sigh. Replacing the shirts back to their spots, another color caught his eye. “The marine is lovely.”

“Have fun with your color matching.” I told him with an eye roll. “There are some shoes that need my attention.”

Amid responded with his own eye roll, but continued on his hunt for the perfect blue. I, on the other hand, took to staring at a pair of leopard print pumps. I hadn’t seen a pair like these since the last time I’d been to New York City. Flipping the shoe over, I noticed the price was just as bad as the NYC shoe, but I was tempted. I didn’t have a nice pair of leopard shoes. I could even wear them to the party with my outfit.

Carrying the shoes with me, the sight of a simple black lace dress caught my eye next. Grabbing it and laying it over my arm, I went on a search to find Amid so we could pay and rejoin the group.

Then he appeared.

I hadn’t been aware that he shopped in Express let alone that he’d be in the same store the same time I was. It was too odd to be a coincidence. Besides, I didn’t believe in those. There was a reason for everything and I figured he was standing there staring at the coats on purpose.

Backing away, I took the long way around in order to get to Amid and avoid him at the same time. Finding Amid, I grabbed his arm to get his attention.

He looked at me with a peeved expression until he noticed my pale complexion. “Is everything ok, pumpkin? You don’t look so well.”

“Can we just leave? Please?”

Holding up his purple shirt, he replied, “I still have to buy this.”

“We can come back for it later.” I told him sternly though my worry was outweighing everything else. “I promise. We just need to find the others.”

My eyes darted towards where the leather jacket stood out clearly among the peacoats. He hadn’t noticed me yet and I planned on keeping it that way. The last time we’d spoken had been mortifying. I didn’t want to relive that again.

Amid pulled out his cell phone to check the time. “We still have ten minutes. Let me check out. It’ll only be a minute.”

He turned to go the register when I grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving me alone in the store. Amid’s eyebrows went up in concern.

“What is going on? What are you so afraid of? It’s only a store, Kay.” Amid said seriously though my fears to him would probably seem silly.

“If you are going to pay, I have to leave.” I told him as I pushed my dress and shoes at him. “I’ll pay you back for them.”

“I don’t understand-”

“Hey. I know you.” A voice spoke from behind me.

I froze at the recognition of who’s voice it was. He had found me.

Taking a deep breath to calm the anxiety that pulsed through my body, I turned to face him. Chad’s dark eyes were all I could see at the moment. They were the perfect blend of coffee and chocolate. I could get lost in those eyes, but I knew Amid was behind me wondering what the hell was going on.

“Kay- who is this?” Amid asked with a smirk on his face. Oh shit.

“Yeah Kay.” Chad said with his own half smile. “Who am I?”

Hearing Chad say my name as if he knew who I was pissed me off more than it should have. “You don’t know me so stop pretending like you do!”

Chad’s smile fell from his face at my display of anger. Amid made a surprised noise behind me. The gay man leaned in close to my ear to whisper into it. The gesture made Chad’s mouth become a thin line.

“Is this Josh?” He asked me without preamble.

Furious at both of their stupidity, I walked past Chad and out of the store. I knew he and Amid would follow, but I needed backup… Backup only my best girls could provide.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to Amy for all of her help and support during this writing process! You rock girl!