Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Home Sweet Home

(Aimee's POV)

There was a good three boxes in the living room, most containing guitar stuff more than anything else. It was kinda sad that guitars took up most my life. Most of the people I had graduated with would be busy packing up their husbands and kids yet I was more concerned with ensuring my instruments made the journey in one piece. It made me wonder if I was missing out on something more meaningful than working at a bar, a guitar store and being single. Was beginning to believe Heather had become psychic. “I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THE PARTY!!!” huffing and puffing, my child-like roommate came out carrying a couple outfits. “That's it! I'm going back to West Chester!!” the clothes fell onto different pieces of furniture as she stormed back into her room “I'm gonna have to wear my Batman suit!”

“Kay won't let you into the party in a crazy outfit. Dress normal like how you did for Dico!” Pulling myself off the couch, I headed to my room to change for the night's festivities. It was Kay's birthday party at Jillian's and I was excited for it, I really was. Just not for what I was going to have to do before hand.

Wanting to be comfy yet fashionable for my friend's event, I grabbed one of my form-fitting black mini-skirts and a cute burgundy tank top. Layering a leather coat over it along with a pair of my black heeled boots, I shook my head at the five remaining outfits in my closet. It was rather pathetic. “You still getting a ride downtown?”

“That's what he said.” winking at me, Heather tossed on a rather cute navy blue single sleeved shirt and jeans. Was a funny outfit on her. “I feel weird.”

Walking in the doorway to the Bayou, I quickly found Aaron behind the bar pouring a couple pints of beer. “Ah, McCluskley has graced us with her presence!”

“Can we talk Aaron?” my fingers nervously ran through my hair. What I had to say already got me placed on a personal leave of absence from Guitar Central. But then again, Bertha was the moron who threatened to make the rest of my week hell. Guess I should have warn her I had been talking to the district manager at the time on my cell phone. Her bad.

Aaron raised a brow at me before motioning to the empty end of the bar. “You …. being serious? Someone die?”

“Ha-Ha.” my tone didn't match my words at all. “You know I'm moving down to Pennsylvania for the Guitar Central?” a slow nod told me to continue. “I'm moving down a lot sooner, like Sunday.” Looking away I didn't want too know how mad he was. I was giving next to no notice.

After looking in Philadelphia, I felt almost completely hopeless. Each of the addresses on Jaimie's list was far too small for all of us, but perfect sizes for her and Mel. Like any good friend, I encouraged her to take the best of them for the two of them. Least she knew she had a place to move into, which with her having a child to think of was more important to me. Thankfully on the way back to Bam's to pick up my car, I spotted a perfect one bedroom right in town. The owner really needed a renter immediately and I had fallen in love with the beautiful stained glass door.

“You can finish out your week right?” Looking to Aaron quickly, I couldn't believe my ears. “Will have to find someone else to pick on though.”

The cool September air hit my face quickly as I exited the bar and walked up the street to another one where Kay's party was being held. Why it was at Jillian's and not the Bayou was beyond me, but it was the birthday girl's wishes. Showing my id, I got to skip on paying the cover. It was another thing I wasn't going to question. Taking up a couple booths, I spotted the girls and Amid instantly. “What took you so long to get here?”

“Tying up the last of my Albany loose ends.” Hugging my best friend, I felt a little sad I would be leaving her behind to deal with the insane ones.

Realization hit me that this was probably one of the last times I would get to see all of the insanity together at one time. Eva had even managed to stay an extra couple of days to see what Albany was all about. X-Tina was the only one not in attendance but she never did like driving up to Albany. Silently sitting in the booth, Clubby worked fast on texting whoever she was texting.

“Hello Albany!” a loud voice echoed a bit from the stage as Debbie spoke into the microphone. “Thank you so much for coming out to Jillians on this wonderful Monday night!” A drink, I needed a drink. Walking across the room, I stood at the bar and ordered a drink. “Tonight is a special night! Tonight is Kristin's Birthday!” Looking across the room I saw everyone clap and raise their glasses to the birthday girl. “It's you're 21 again this year right? So this is like 3 years of becoming of age.” Cheering, I could hear Kay conform it.

As an hour or two passed, and a drink or two to match, I attempted to appear happy even though deep down the change in my life had me freaking out inside. It was going to be about a month until the shop opened and I would have no income until then. Stress was eating away at me and since I had already paid for the first few months of rent, I was already near broke. Kay staring at me caused the glass I had been playing with to raise to my lips. If she saw me drinking then she would assume nothing was wrong. Right?

A buzzing in my pants pocket caused me to jump but it went unnoticed as Debbie belted out the chorus of 'Pleasures'. Oddly it was the ringtone I had assigned to my cell for text messages too. How is the party going reading it a couple times I slowly answered the text. Little boring compared to a couple nights ago.

“For our next song, we are going a little 80's on you.” Ignoring Debbie, I was more fixated on how quickly Bam had responded back. It cant be that bad with clubby there Looking to the girl in question, I saw the phone hadn't left her hands yet. is dico busy texting too? “We are going to play a song that I need my favorite bartender for.” the phone started buzzing again with a reply yup how u know? “Ames get up here and play!”

Kay started nudging me from where she had been dancing with a few of the girls “Go up and play!”

“Ah, no.” sliding my phone into my pocket after sending him a pic of Clubby hard at work, I stood up and looked to where Debbie held my guitar. Why had I given Kay a spare key to the apartment? “I need a ton of booze for that and I drove.”

Smiling, Kay took the keys from my bag and tossed them to Clubby. “She's not drinking anyways.” Pointing me to the stage I dropped my head in defeat. But then again, me going up to the stage required a pitstop at the bar for two shots of whiskey. “I WANNA HEAR BITS N PIECES!!”

“You heard the birthday girl!” Debbie told us as I took a drink from the jack and coke Eva dropped off for me. Least Kay would find this all entertaining.