Sequel: Close Yet Far

Anything but Ordinary

Goodbye Albany

(Kay’s POV)

I couldn't take it anymore. It hadn't even been three days since returning to Albany and I was dying for another excuse to leave again. I missed Aimee. I missed Heather. God, I even missed Bam and I barely knew the man. Grumbling to myself as I washed the dishes that had been in the sink from dinner, I thought back on Hellview. It had been one hell of a party. That much was certain. Something wasn't quite right though. For some reason, the entire night didn't seem as fun as it could have possibly been.

I had been with my friends, seen one of my favorite bands perform and hung out with the guy I was sorta dating... What else could I possibly need?

“Hey I'm heading to the store. Did you need anything?” Kelly asked as she came into the kitchen with her jacket on and her purse slung over her shoulder. November was heavier jacket weather and I wished the summer wouldn't take so long to return.

I pondered for a moment before responding. “Not that I can think of. If you see something I might want though, just pick it up. I'll pay you when you get back.”

“You got it.” My roommate said as she grabbed a handful of mixed nuts from the bowl on the kitchen table. “I'll be back in about an hour.”

“See you then.” I called as she left the room. A moment later I heard the apartment door close and before I could stop myself, I let out a sigh. I had been feigning happiness ever since I had returned to New York, but I couldn't fake it anymore. Being cheerful was exhausting and my body had given up.

My cell phone beeped from its place on the table behind me. Drying my hands off on a towel, I walked to where it waited and glanced down at the text I'd received.

Missing you like crazy. When are you coming down again?

A knot lodged itself in my throat making it hard to breath. The message brought me so close to tears that I expected to lose it right there. Swallowing past the lump, I lifted the phone in my hand as if it were a bomb ready to explode.

Josh.

Taking a shuddering breath, I made my decision. There was no way I could stay in Albany or even New York for that matter. I would never be truly happy unless I was in Pennsylvania.

And that was where I was going.

***

I had nearly packed all of my belongings by the time Kelly returned from the store. I had put the boxes of the larger stuff in my car and the only thing left was the suitcase that held all of the clothes I owned which, I had to admit, wasn't much at all. I planned on leaving all of the furniture at the apartment with Kelly and Dan. I wasn't going to need it and even if I did, there was no way I was bringing it down on one trip. In my tiny car.

“So I found one of those smoothie fruit drinks you like so much. This one has spinach and kiwi...” Kelly's voice faded away as she stopped at the doorway to my room. Her eyes darted around the empty space with a look of shock on her pretty face. “What the hell happened? Did you get robbed?”

The question made me smile despite what I was about to tell my friend. “Of course not.”

“Then what is going on?” This time Kelly crossed her arms in front of her chest. She was determined to get some answers.

Sighing, I sank down on the now sheet-less mattress and met my roommate's gaze. “Kelly- you know I can't stay here.”

Kelly didn't appear to understand my statement. “Of course you can. This is just as much your home as it is Dan or I's.”

I shook my head. “It hasn't been my home for a while now.”

Kelly frowned as if I hurt her feelings. “Is it because Dan moved in? I thought you were alright with it.”

“It's not Dan and it's not you. It's me. It's this city.” I ran a hand through my unwashed hair. “I don't belong in Albany anymore, Kel. I need to get out of here.”

Her eyes widened as she finally understood. “Is this about Josh?”

“Somewhat.” I admitted though it wasn't like me to do something just for a guy. “I just need a new beginning. This city holds too much pain for me to stay here.”

Kelly smiled reassuringly. “If you need to leave, Kay, I won't stop you. I just want you to be happy.”

I smiled at my friend, but it didn't reach my eyes. “I do too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Now the fun begins! Thank you for reading!