Status: In progress. Updates when I get the chance.

Cross My Heart

Acadia Is Gone

I rubbed my hand over my face, yawning. Three hours of shopping, both Phoenix and I were tired as hell. I was 90% sure this was her last trip to the change room.
I lay on a black leather couch outside change room number 5.
“I really am sorry about Scooter.” Phoenix apologized for the trillionth time. “He’s usually a really nice guy. He just gets jealous I guess.” She peaked over the top of the door. “Okay, last trip I promise.” I smiled.
“Take your time.”
“But seriously, Scooter can be a douche but he’s great.”
“I believe you.” I closed my eyes, wishing I could fall asleep.
“He’s had this fantasy in his head since I’ve known him that I’m some sort of possession he can own. That’s why he always says I’m ‘his’. I’ve told him before I don’t belong to him but you know, in one ear out the other.” Phoenix was defiantly as tired as I was. This is what she did when she was tired, babbled on.
“Okay all done.” Phoenix left the change room, carrying her final decisions for her new wardrobe. “Thanks for this Josh…getting me back on my feet and looking after me and all…I promise I’ll be out of your hair as soon as I’m 100% better.” I gave a thumbs up as an acknowledgment and jokingly rolled over and curled up into a ball.
“Wake me up tomorrow.” I mumbled.
“C’mon Josh!” Phoenix laughed. “Quicker you get up quicker we get home.”
“I’m too comfy.” I complained. Phoenix sighed.
“We’re closing in ten minutes.” A new voice said.
“Josh get up.” Phoenix said sternly.
“Phoenix!?” The other voice yelled. There was the sound of the air leaving Phoenix’s lungs as the other girl tackled her. “Oh my god I haven’t seen you in years!” The voice yelled.
I decided it was time to sit up. I surveyed the situation. Phoenix lay on the floor, a girl who’s face I couldn’t see leaned over her as if her hug had sent Phoenix to the floor.
“It’s me, Shaun!” The girl yelled.
“Holy fuck.” I said, forgotten on the couch.
“JOSH!” Shaun screamed, running over and tackling me right off the couch.
“Great to see you to Shaun.” I wheezed out from under her. “Now please get off of me.”
***
I LIED PHOENIX’S POV IT’S GONNA SWITCH WHEN I WANT IT TO
The three of us sat in the change room of some clothing store down town Vancouver. Cross legged on the floor like we were in high school again.
“I can’t believe you guys are here.” Shaun squealed.
“I can’t believe you’re alive!” Josh laughed. “You disappeared without a trace…kinda ruined Matt.” Josh’s face fell. “If you thought he was quite in high school…”
Shaun hung her head, like she really did feel bad. “T-there’s a long story behind that…I didn’t want to leave…”
“Could you tell us? I’m sure Matt would really like to know…I haven’t seen him since I left but Josh-“
“NO!” Shaun cut me off, snapping her head up. “Matt can’t know…he just can’t…” Shaun hung her head back down.
“Could you tell me?” I asked, placing a hand on her arm. “We can excuse the smurf.” I looked to Josh.
“Great. I love you to.” He pouted.
“Oh, fuck off.” I gave him a glare, and he left the change room.
“Call when you need me.” I watched Josh leave, then turned back to Shaun.
“Please Shaun?” I begged. I’m here for you.
She smiled a little. “You and Josh are so cute…at least one of the couples worked out.”
I was surprised. “Oh no, no, no me and Josh aren’t together he’s just helping me out I kinda fucked myself over since high school and-“
Shaun cut me off. “But…you have a ring…” She pointed to the hand that wasn’t rested on her shoulder.
“Oh…yeah that…he gave that to me in high school…week or two before I left.” I looked at the ring for a second. I guess it did seem like me and Josh were a couple…maybe even married…we walked down the street together, teasing each other and laughing…the ring on my finger…
“Shaun, don’t change the subject.” I gave her a stern look. “Why did you leave?”
She twiddled her thumbs together. “I-…I got knocked up.” She whispered. “I didn’t want to get an abortion, or have it get in the way of Matt’s dreams…but I knew he wouldn’t just leave me if I told him to…so I left.” She whipped a tear from her eye. “She’s ten now. Her name is Valerie…”
My mouth dropped open. Like, I guess I should have expected that…but I never really thought about that. “You should tell Matt.” I rubbed her arm. “He’d be there for you still. And Valerie. You know that.”
“Phoenix, how would you go about telling Josh you are keeping his ten year old daughter hidden from him?” She said angrily. I was speechless. “See, it’s not so simple is it?” She stood up. “Just pay for your stuff and get out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its shorter than usual but it felt like a good place to end it.

Acaida - Marianas Trench