Status: In progress. Updates when I get the chance.

Cross My Heart

I'll Be Good To You

“Amanda’s throwing a Christmas party tomorrow night.” Josh said, absentmindedly shaking the two boxes at my feet marked ‘JOSH’ the rest of the gifts I still needed to wrap. “They sound fabricy.” He said to me.
“No hints.” I told him and took the boxes, going to stash them in my closet, Josh followed.
“So, you wanna go? To Amanda’s party?” Josh asked, sitting on my bed and tossing a Green Day CD back and forth.
“I dunno, she doesn’t really like me.” I shoved the boxes on the top shelf as far back as possible, knowing Josh would still be able to reach them.
“Well, she invited me and I’m inviting you. So that means your coming.”
“And if I don’t wanna go?” I taunted Josh.
“Then I don’t go either.” He leaned back on the bed, putting his hands above his head.
“Well…I dunno. I might go.” I shrugged and sat down on the end of the bed, leaning against the foot board and pulling my knees up.
“Well, Shaun will probably make you go.” He added. “She didn’t seem so happy when you didn’t show up to Matt’s.”
“I barely know Shaun, why would it be such a tragedy for her?”
“You’d laugh if I told you.”
“Try me.”
“She’s trying to set us up.” Okay, I did laugh. And of course, was again stuck by how amazing Josh truly was…maybe I would go to the party.
“Oh shit!” Josh jumped up, looking over at my clock. “I gotta get to practice.” He started running for the door. He stopped and looked over his shoulder at me. “You wanna come?”
“Am I allowed to come?”
“Well, Shaun always comes and the rest of the guys don’t have an issue with it.”
“Yes, but Shaun is Matt’s girlfriend. She’s everywhere he is. And maybe you’re band mates don’t have an issue with Matt bringing his Girlfriend, they might have an issue with you bringing you’re bitchy best friend.”
“Pfft, status’s can change.” He said and grabbed my hand, pulling me along with him.
“And this means…?” He suddenly spun around to face me. I smacked right into him, not expecting his abrupt stop. I tried to back away from him but his arms were around my waist, holding me to him.
“It means…you don’t have to just be my best friend.”
“And what does that mean?” I asked, a little light headed.
“This.” He kissed me. Oh my god you idiot. I barely heard myself think the words, only wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back.
I remembered the morning when I met Josh, saying to myself I wasn’t going to fall for anyone. I wasn’t gonna be heart broken when I left. Now what was I setting myself up for? Heartbreak. But I just kept on kissing him until something vibrated between us.
“Fuck off.” I heard Josh mutter as he grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket, still keeping one arm around me.
“Hey?” He asked in to phone. “Yeah yeah, I’ll be there in a bit…I don’t care, start without me…Yeah yeah, gimmie…half an hour…I don’t care if I’m late Matt! …I’m at Phoenix’s…I’ll be there!” He hung up the phone. “Damn Matt.” He said and shoved his phone back in his pocket.
Suddenly, mine rang from my pocket. “Hello?” I asked.
“Why is Josh at you’re house? WTF are you doing? Why is he late?” Shaun’s voice echoed in my ear.
“Josh, please ask Matt if he has it on speaker before going about telling people you’re whereabouts.” I told him.
“Answer my questions!” Shaun screamed in my ear when I didn’t answer. Josh laughed.
“He’s at my house because he never leaves.” I looked at Josh.
“Oh, right…bye.” Josh ran half way up the stairs then came flying back down. “You coming?”
“Sure….Bye Shaun.” I hung up the phone as Shaun protested loudly from the other line.
“Come on. Matt’s ready to kill me as is.”
“Fine, I’m coming Mr. Impatient.” I ran after Josh as he booked it up the stairs. “How are we supposed to get to…where are we going?”
“Steve’s house. And we’re getting there via car if my mom will lend hers.”
“Don’t you only have you’re learners?” Josh slowed to a walk once we we’re out of the house.
“Yes.” He gave me an evil smile.
“Well, good bye world. Please send Josh to hell for killing me.”
“Where’s the trust? I won’t kill you…on purpose.”
“That makes me feel better.”
“Mom!” We walked though the door of Josh’s house and he immediately ran for the sound of a piano playing deeper in the house.
“Thanks for leaving me, Josh. I’ll just make myself at home.” I walked to where I saw someone on the couch in the living room.
“Hey Phoenix.” Josh’s sister, Sara, greeted me.
“Hey, what’s up?” I asked and flopped down beside her.
“Absolutely nothing.”
“Phoenix come!” I heard Josh call from the foyer.
“Yes master!” I replied and walked back over to him. He twirled a set of keys around his finger. An evil smile playing on his face. “Dear god.”
“Hey, trust me. I’m a great driver.”
“Lets just get his over with.” I pulled him towards the van in the drive way
*
“No, seriously. The guys made an oath that there was no girls at practice except girlfriends. I’ve always been so alone…” Shaun had tugged me out of Steve’s garage and was pulling me towards the kitchen now.
“And…?”
“Are you a Josh dating?” When I didn’t answer right away, she squealed. “You are! Yes!”
“No! Well…not technically…I don’t think…”
“What do you mean you don’t think!? Are you dating or not?” She spun to face me. “Tell. Me. Everything.”
“Well…we were just hangin’ at my place and Josh asked if I wanted to come to the practice and I complained that the only reason you came was because you’re Matt’s girlfriend and then…well…”
“Spit it out! Before I jump off a bridge!”
“He…kissed me.” We we’re in the kitchen now. Shaun’s jaw dropped.
“Wait, wait, wait. What kind of kiss? Like, a peck? Or like full frontal snogging? How long did you kiss? Give me information!” She shook my shoulders.
“Calm down, Shaun!” I yelled at her.
“I can’t! I’ve been trying to set you and Josh up for over a month!”
“Well it worked! Now calm.” She backed up away from me.
“Okay…I think I’m good.” She spun to the fridge and tossed a can off Dr. Pepper at me, taking a Pepsi for herself.
“Steve never has any good food.” She mumbled to herself and continued digging around the fridge.
I heard footsteps behind me and before I knew it, somebody had grabbed me around the waist. “Mep!” I let out a small scream before I heard Josh whisper in my ear.
“Hiya, Beautiful.”
“God, Josh, give me a heart attack much.” I said and relaxed in his arms.
Shaun spun around from the fridge and started clapping while jumping up and down. “My master plan has worked!”
“You have major issues, Shaun.” Josh told her.
“I know! I’m damn proud of them.” She took a bottle of water from the fridge – for Matt, I guessed – and headed back towards the door, leaving Josh and I alone in the kitchen.
“So why are you here?”
“Why am I here as in this room or why am I here as in the great question of life?”
“The kitchen.”
“I’m thirsty.” I felt his lips press to my neck.
“Unless you’re thirsty for my blood I suggest the tap.” Josh laughed.
“Fine.” He detached himself from me and went to the cupboard, grabbing a cup.
I pushed myself up on the counter top, opening my Dr. Pepper.
“So, you like the band?” Josh asked.
“For sure.” I licked the bubbles off the top of the can.
“That wasn’t very enthusiastic.” I watched as Josh drank the water out of the once full cup, placing it gently in the sink. He turned to me and smile. I couldn’t help but smile back. How could this hottie be mine? I wasn’t all that special. Red hair, barely hitting 5 foot 2, eye sight that put moles to shame.
“What are you thinking about?” Josh asked me, studying my expression.
“How me of all people ended up with you.”
“And what does that mean?”
“Well like, you’re…well, in all honestly you’re hot. I’m well…average.” I looked down at the can in my hands.
“Phoenix.” He was closer now, but I still didn’t look up. “Phoenix look at me.” I shook my head. He tilted my head up with his finger. “You’re beautiful. In no way are you average. Average people are boring.”
I smiled a pathetic half smile. I didn’t believe him. “You don’t believe me?”
I shook my head. He pressed his lips to mine. “And now?”
“Almost.” I full out smiled now.
He kissed me again, this time I knotted my fingers into his hair, holding him to me.
After about 30 seconds, he pulled back. “Average girls can’t kiss like that.” He kissed me again, this time not breaking away.
“Not in my kitchen, please.” Josh jumped away from me, clearly startled. Steve stood in the door way of the kitchen. “The guys are waiting for you, Josh, so maybe you should use your lips for singing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Song credit for title, Good To You - Marianas Trench