Sequel: Where Have You Been?

Can't Stop Lovin' You

It Feels So Wrong

“Mum!!” Shane yelled the moment he opened his eyes. “I’m four years old today!” he jumped to the side of his mother’s bed.

Savannah was still sleeping like a baby when her son jumped on her to remind her about his birthday, and after such a long night at work, all Savannah needed was a little something called sleep. She completely forgot about Shane’s birthday and it was too much for one 22 years old girl to take. Awake from her so called sleep, she sat upon the bed beside her son.

“Look who’s a big boy now…” Savannah said as she tickled Shane down and Shane laughed.

“I am!” Shane grinned. “Mom, are we going to visit nana today?”

Savannah pulled her hair into a bun as she smiled and nodded. Slowly, she took Shane out of her room and walked him straight to the bathroom and started the day with a visit to her mother’s grave.

Ever since Martha died, Savannah had been very busy working for her and Shane’s life. Lucky her Tara and Randy were a pretty handful best friends when it comes to babysitting Shane, and because of that, she rarely visit Martha’s grave.

Having his own breakfast, Shane enjoyed his favorite cereal while watching some spongebob squarepants and wait for Savannah to finished her bath and getting ready for the day. Savannah knew it was going to be a very long but fun day, until she realized her apartment rent was over by the 15th and it was already the 10th.

“Let’s pick aunt Tara first, and see if maybe uncle Randy could make it today.” Savannah said, grabbing her son’s hand as they went out of the apartment.

Shane had grown a very strong bond with Randy, since he is the only male / father figure Shane could’ve ever gotten and it means like Randy was the closest to what Father means for Shane. A little bit of truth, Savannah had once grown a feeling toward him for being there for Shane whenever he needed him, but it was more like a summer fling, because Savannah had no intention to break him up with Maika.

“Mom, why are we always celebrating my birthday but never celebrates yours?” Shane asked from the backseat of the car.

The car is the only thing Martha left behind for Savannah in Dallas, the rest of her heritages were all placed in the state where she started her work from the beginning, Baltimore. Martha knew Savannah couldn’t live by her own, so she planned everything out for her daughter and grandson, which Savannah didn’t know what to feel about.

“Let’s just say mommy is a little too old to celebrate birthdays…” Savannah chuckled as Shane nodded.

“Then I don’t want to be old, because I want to celebrate birthdays with you! I love you, mommy.” Shane said as Savannah pulled in over a driveway.

Savannah took Shane out of the car as she knocked on her best friends’ house. Waiting for Tara to get the door, Savannah let Shane played a little over their front yard. Expecting Tara to get the door, Savannah was a little shock to find Maika standing in front of her.

“You’re her? We were just getting ready to get to your house. Randy is on a day off, and Tara wouldn’t stop talking about this surprise she has for Shane.” Maika giggled as Shane looked up to her.

“Aunt Tara has a surprise?” Shane asked, politely.

Just when Maika was about to answer, Tara came out and she pulled Randy out. There was something different with the twins that morning but Savannah couldn’t put her mind on what was so different about them.

“I’m driving.” Randy said, taking the car key off Savannah’s hand as he pulled Maika close to him. “You, Tara, and Shane have to sit on the backseat.” He added while he turned on the car’s engine.

Randy was driving to a fancy restaurant that has a playground on the backyard that was located nearby his work. Savannah loved the food there, but she never really come there by her own, because it was too expensive, and treating Tara, Randy, and Maika for Shane’s birthday could also mean spending her salary for one whole month.

“Look guys, I don’t think I can pay if we’re eating brunch here.” Savannah gulped.

“Didn’t Maika tell you I have surprise?” Tara whispered as she jumped out of the car, followed by Randy, Maika, Shane, and lastly, Savannah.

Savannah was holding Shane’s hand when she entered the restaurant and found a very familiar back who turned out to be Riley. The moment she realized Riley was there, Savannah was both happy and anxious. She wasn’t ready to be dragged out of Dallas back to Baltimore, but Riley coming to town means it would happen anytime soon.

Quickly, Shane ran toward Riley as she picked the little guy up and smiled toward Savannah. Just when Savannah was about walk toward Riley, someone hugged her tight from behind without even making any sound, but Savannah knew the smell of the body and she knew she only had one friend with the posture. She can easily recognize the muscle through a single glance, and she was right, the moment she turned her back, she saw Zack smiling.

“The boys and I have missed you so much.” Zack said, pulling Savannah into another hug.

“What are you doing?” Savannah asked, panic.

“Tara called Riley to come over, and at first, she insisted me not to come and meet you, but…” Zack’s word was cut off when he realized Riley was with a little boy. “He looks like Jack.” Zack mumbled.

Zack was never good at faking his surprise look, and what Savannah saw, Zack really was surprised to find Shane, and it was no lie. Savannah realized that Riley kept her promise to not let Zack know anything about her private life, including Shane, but Zack found out already and Savannah had no way out but to tell him the truth.

“Aunt Riley, thanks for coming to my birthday!” Shane whispered. “Who is he?” Added the boy.

“It’s your birthday today?” Riley asked in surprised.

“Hi little buddy.” Zack said.

“I’m Shane.” Shane stopped. “What’s your name, mister?” He added as Zack smiled and shook his hand.

“Shane? Well, your mother never changed. I’m Zack. I’m Aunt Riley’s boyfriend.” Zack laughed as Shane smiled wide.

“Then I'm going to call you uncle Zack!”

They sat down on a table together as Tara, Randy, and Maika took Shane to the back of the restaurant to play, giving Zack the time he needed to catch up. Zack couldn’t believe how strong Savannah could be, remembering all the pain they used to share, Zack found it stupid to not move back to Baltimore.

“I need you to keep it a hush.” Savannah said, wiping off her tears off her face.

“But Jack has to know! Shane is his son, Van.” Zack argued.

“Are you ready to lose everything? Think, Zachary. What if the media finds out about me and Shane? It will cost your band’s fame!”

“Yeah, and keeping this huge of a secret for four years isn’t enough for you? You tortured him since the day you left, you tortured us!”

“I might as well give myself some credit for your band’s songs.”

Riley was all silent, even though she was on the same board with Zack, she couldn’t spill everything and ruin the band. All Savannah wanted was the boys to live their dreams, and if coming back means ruining their life, she didn’t see the point of sacrificing.

“Look, Shane needs a father figure. Think about it, Van. Growing up for us was hard enough, and we had our parents.”

“You forgot I lost my dad at the age of five.” Savannah said, sarcastically.

“But you know how he looks. You have a memory of him. Look at Shane! Let me guess, you’re the closest to what a father is for him, am I right?” Zack asked.

“Zack, maybe it’s not the best time to talk about it…” Riley stopped. “It’s Shane’s birthday today. That’s why Tara wanted me to come here.”

Zack looked over Savannah’s direction with hope she’d listen to what he says as he approached the boy and took him back inside to tell them that all the birthday brunch was on his treat.

“He’s not angry at you, Van. He just missed you so much and he wanted you to come home. The other boys miss you too. Jack, especially.” Riley whispered. “I’m taking him back to the airport tomorrow morning, but I’ll be staying here until you come back with me to Baltimore.” She added.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?

Enjoy!
-Amelia