Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Ten

The snow finally stopped falling and village people were getting excited about the holiday festivities and the wedding. Inside the castle, Hope was sitting in her room, wondering when she would tell the King. She knew it would be before the wedding. He had to know, surely he did. Suddenly, there was a cry from below and she bolted up.

Using the rod given to her by Zeke, she got there as quickly as she could. When she reached the foyer, panting, Zeke put a comforting hand on her shoulder. The King was crying and embracing a young man who looked exactly like the King and tears were falling down the young man’s face as well.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“That is the King’s son.”

“Gerard? The one that’s been in the dungeon?”

“That’s the one,” Zeke confirmed with a smile on his face. “It’s good to see the two together again. Come. You should meet him.”

Zeke helped her downstairs and smiled at the young man. “Gerard, this is my fiancée, Saria. Saria, this is Gerard.”

They shook hands but Gerard was staring at her with a curious look on his face. His eyes darted to his father’s then back at her. She blinked, not sure what was going on.

“Father, may I speak with you?” he said slowly.

The King gripped his son’s shoulders happily. “We have all the time in the world to talk. But for now, we have a wedding tomorrow!”

Gerard looked to Hope then to his father but let himself be dragged away by his father to prepare the ceremonies.

“He knows,” Hope whispered to Zeke when they were alone. “He knows I’m not Saria.”

“Yes, I noticed,” Zeke murmured. “Do you want to tell him now?”

Hope chewed on her lower lip as she thought. “No,” she answered finally. “But before the wedding. I can’t marry you under a fake name…”

Zeke stared at her as she blushed. That had been on her mind for the last few days. She had fallen in love with Zeke amongst all the turmoil that they had endured but something just didn’t feel right about it all.

“Miss.” Hope yelped and Zeke jumped. “Kelli,” she breathed. “You startled me.”

“Forgive me. The time has come to fit your dress now that you are feeling better. Master Zeke, they are waiting for you in your bedroom.”

Hope was about to follow Kelli but Zeke grabbed her hand. She looked at him, confused.

“Meet me in the garden when you are finished, please.”

She nodded. “I will.”

..

The night was cold and Hope pulled her cloak closer to her body. She didn’t know what was taking Zeke so long. He had said to meet her here as soon as the dress fitting was done. It was a beautiful dress. Floor length with a corset top, it had a ruby red stripe down the back. The jewelry she had been given was the same ruby red and she was excited about tomorrow.

There was the sound of footsteps crunching in the snow from behind her and she turned around. She beamed at Zeke as he ducked under a low hanging branch.

“How did it go?” he asked.

“It went well,” she returned. “Tomorrow will be a splendid day.”

“Speaking of tomorrow,” he murmured and rubbed the back of his neck. A strange electricity filled the air and Hope’s back straightened. “I- I- Well, I have something for you.” He pulled a small box out of his pocket and her breath caught in her throat. “Uh… I know I should get down on one knee, but it is rather damp. Is it all right if I stay standing?” She laughed and nodded. He gave her a nervous grin and opened the box to reveal a diamond ring with a golden band. “Hope, I made you this promise years ago. I should have kept it yet I did not. Today, I plan to correct my error. Will you be my queen?”

A tear slid down Hope’s cheek as she nodded, unable to speak. He grinned and slid the ring onto her ring finger. They embraced and she rested her head on his shoulder, enjoying just standing there in his arms.

The only problem was a plan was coming to close and the next day would not be what they expected.



The sun rose and Hope woke to giggling servant girls. They helped her get into her dress and jewelry and Kelli dismissed them all so she could do her hair.

“Today is a special day, miss,” Kelli said, leading her to a chair. “In a few days you will get to go back home.”

“I have no home,” Hope said sadly.

Kelli gave her an encouraging smile. “You will in a few hours. Are you excited?”

“Very,” she admitted. “He proposed to me last night,” she added, showing Kelli the ring.

Kelli paused in the act of weaving roses through Hope’s hair. “It is beautiful.”

An hour later, a knock on the door announced the King. He smiled and asked Kelli to leave. She curtsied, gave Hope one last smile and departed.

“Since your uncle has disappeared,” he said, “I will be escorting you today.”

“I am honored.”

“You look beautiful,” he complimented as she stood. “Listen, I have something to tell you,” he said suddenly. “Something you should know before you marry young Zeke.”

“What is it?”

For some reason, she was nervous.

“Do you remember your parents?” His eyes were searching hers.

“Of course I do. They were –”

“I am talking about your real parents, Hope.”

Hope’s blood ran cold as she stared at him with fear in her eyes.

“H- How long have you known?” she whispered.

He put his hands behind his back. “Since you arrived.”

“Did Zeke tell you?”

“No. I knew,” he breathed, “because you are my daughter.”

Hope let out a short laugh. “That is quite the joke,” she said.

“It is not a joke,” he said and sat down in a chair by the fire, gesturing for her to do the same. He began to tell her the truth of her birth and, as much as she thought it sounded ridiculous, his words made sense to her. “I am sorry things turned out the way they did but I am glad that you have such a promising future.”

Hope gave him a watery smile and wiped away a stray tear as she stood. He stood as well and they shared an awkward yet meaningful hug. Another knock told them that they were ready for her and she took a deep breath.

“Wow. So much has happened…”

“I know,” the King whispered and offered his arm for her to take. “Are you ready for your future?”

Hope grinned. “Yes.”

It could not be more beautiful. A group of young men had cleared an aisle of snow and laid down a rug for them to walk on. The orchestra struck up a tune and the King smiled at her again before a servant handed her a bouquet of red and white flowers. She swallowed nervously as they began to walk.

Zeke was dressed in his Kingly attire, hands behind his back and a broad grin on his face. Gerard stood beside him, smiling as well, and she realized this was her brother. But there was time for that later. All of her attention was focused on the man standing at the altar. She kissed King Talon on the cheek as he handed her over to Zeke.

“You are beautiful,” Zeke whispered and she handed the bouquet to Kelli, the woman Hope had chosen to be by her side.

The priest began his speech but her eyes, mind, and heart were focused on her husband-to-be. They shared their vows and she stepped closer to him, ready for them to share their kiss as husband and wife.

“Stop!”

The voice rang through the cold winter air like a sharp knife. They all turned to see Seth and Erick standing at the end of the aisle, a strange weapon pointed at them. Zeke stepped in front of Hope as Erick approached with a wicked smile on his face.

“Why are you protecting that women, King Zeke?” he asked nastily.

“What are you talking about?” he demanded.

“It is time the truth be told!” Seth yelled, walking forward to stand beside Erick. Seth was the one holding the weapon. “Tell us who you really are, Saria.”

Hope’s jaw clenched as the spectators whispered.

“Go on,” Erick goaded. “I must admit I am surprised. You even had me fooled.”

The owner of the merchant stall stood. “What is this about?”

“I am not Saria,” she murmured and people gasped.

Seth’s face twisted into a nastily. “I knew it.”

“I am sorry,” she said but another voice rang out from behind her.

“No, it is not her fault!”

“Saria?” Erick breathed and Hope turned to see Saria and James rushing forward.

Saria’s stomach was bulging and Hope wanted to congratulate her but knew now was not the time. No one said anything for a long time.

“Enough!” Seth said finally. His eyes were shining with a malice that made Hope step closer to Zeke. He pulled a strange hammer shaped piece on the weapon and it clicked. “Enough of the lies! This is treason! And the price of treason is death!”

He aimed for Hope and she shut her eyes, ready for what would happen. But nothing happened. Then a bang ran through the air but there was no pain. Someone screamed. Her eyes shot open to see Gerard falling to his knees.

“No,” she breathed as Kelli continued to scream. They both rushed to his side as Zeke tackled Seth to the ground. Erick was wrestled to the ground by a few men. “No, not you.”

Kelli held his head in her lap, tears splashing onto his forehead. He smiled at Hope, blood spilling out of his mouth.

“I am glad I finally got to meet the sister I never knew,” he choked. “I just wish I could have known you better.”

“D- Don’t talk like that,” Hope said, her voice constricting with tears. “We’ll get you taken care of; just like they took care of me.”

Gerard just shook his head slowly. His eyes wandered up to Kelli’s. “I’m sorry you and I could never…” He coughed. “Don’t think Father would have approved anyway.”

“You should not jump to conclusions,” Talon said, stroking his son’s hair. “Come on, Son. Do not give up so easily.” He put an arm around Kelli. “Last I checked, you do have something to live for.”

Gerard’s eyes closed slowly but his chest was still moving.

“Someone come help!” Hope cried and a man who she did not recognize helped the woman who had attended Hope lifted Gerard gingerly.

Kelli, sobbing, tried to stand. Hope helped her stand and follow the nurse. Zeke and the man kept their hold on Erick and Seth who just stared.

And just like that, the day that should be the happiest of Hope’s life, became one of the worst.
♠ ♠ ♠
I cried a little writing this chapter. We'll let chapter eleven write itself. I'll update soon.