Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Eleven

A meeting was held with all the townsfolk later in the week and Hope was not given any time to see how Gerard was doing. She knew he hadn’t died, though, for Kelli had not returned. At first she didn’t want to; she just wanted to check up on him and still attend to Hope. But Hope insisted Kelli stay with him. Besides, she had a distinct feeling that her life as a general’s daughter was going to end. Many townsfolk were angry.

It was being held in the church and the King came to retrieve Hope from the dungeons. Per the request of his people, he had sent her to one of the few cells with a window. She went with no objections.

“It is time to go,” the King said, opening the cell door.

Hope was still in her wedding dress though it was considerably dirtier than it had been the week before. She had been given a lot of time to think about the idea of him being her father and it made more and more sense. It was an easy thing to accept for her and she did notice similarities between herself and the King.

She stood and followed him out the dungeon, allowing a guard to put her in clamps. The King put a cloak around her shoulders and they walked down to the church in silence. They trudged through the snow, both lost in their own thoughts. Hope was wondering what would happen to her. Why were the people so upset?

Perhaps it was that they had lied. But she never really spoke to them…

The church was packed and stuffy. When they walked in, the King took the cloak off her shoulders and escorted her to a seat up at the front of the church. A young man was standing at the front, eyeing Hope curiously. When she turned around, she saw the same curious look on everyone’s face.

“So,” the young man began. “My name is Trent. I own the church and am the spokesperson for the town. We all have some… questions for you.”

“I will answer any question you have,” she said firmly.

He seemed taken aback. Hope assumed he didn’t expect this answer.

Trent cleared his throat and pulled out a list.

“What is your real name,” he read, “and where do you hail from?”

“My name is Hope. I am from the same kingdom as King Zeke.”

She glanced around. Zeke was standing to the side, arms crossed, and watching closely. He saw her watching and gave a small nod of encouragement.

“Why are you here?”

She sighed. “That is a long story…”

“She has witnesses.”

Saria had stood up among the crowd, James joining her.

“And we stand beside her,” James added as the two of them walked up to stand on either side of Hope.

She smiled weakly at her.

“We aren’t here to judge her,” Trent said quickly. “We just want to understand what has happened.”

“Then why are her hands cuffed?” Saria demanded. “Why did she spend the week in a cell?”

Trent avoided her gaze. “It’s common practice,” he stuttered and Saria scoffed.

“Look, I talked her into it,” she said and Trent frowned. “We met on the road as I ran from town. James and I were eloping because I found out I was pregnant and I did not want to marry King Zeke.” She turned to him. “I don’t mean to offend. My heart and my child belong to James.” Zeke bowed his head. “I convinced her to go in my stead. As you can see, we look very much alike. Meanwhile, James and I ventured into the kingdom she was leaving to start a new life together.”

“Why were you fleeing from your kingdom?” Trent asked and Hope sighed.

“There I was an outcast. People thought I was an orphan and orphans were not… cared for after our queen passed away. I was put out on the streets. I did not have a life there. I decided to come here. Start a new life, you know? Then I met Saria and, well… You know the rest.”

The people whispered among themselves.

“Unfortunately,” Trent began, “what Seth said is true. It is treason to impersonate someone of high standing.”

“She is not an impersonator,” the King said suddenly. “She is my daughter.”

Silence followed his remark. Everyone stared at her and at the King. He launched into his story again and Hope fumbled with the cuffs on her wrists. She wanted them off of her. Zeke rushed over, grabbed the keys from the guard, and took them off.

“Are you all right?” he asked quietly, caressing her cheek.

“I am fine,” she whispered. “But what happens next?”

The King had finished his story and Zeke helped her stand.

“King Talon has always been good to us,” Trent said to the crowd. “I believe his story.” He turned to Hope who was standing beside Zeke. His arm rested on her waist. “I think a wedding is in order. If you do not mind a change in scenery.”

Hope grinned and looked up at Zeke. He smiled back at her. They both nodded and they walked over to the center. As Trent spoke words and prayers over them, Hope knew there was a lot still to go over, questions that needed answering. But as Zeke put his arms around her, she knew it could all wait.

Finally, Trent spoke the words she had been waiting for.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your wife.”

Hope giggled as Zeke pulled her close and kissed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is not the end. My sister's wedding is in nine days in which I am the maid of honor and there's still a lot of things to get in order. So, it will be a while before chapter 12. Thank you so much to backtodecember and fearless-forever for your comments. :) I'll update - hopefully - a few days after my sister's wedding. Hope you enjoyed a happier chapter.