Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Epilogue

“The end,” Hope finished, smiling at her daughter, Autumn.

She pouted. “Not fair! What happened to everyone else?”

Hope stroked Autumn’s auburn hair. “Well, your uncle married Kelli, much to everyone’s surprise. I knew it would happen, though.”

“Did they live happily ever after like you and Daddy?”

Hope grinned and kissed her on the forehead. “Of course they did. In fact, they’ll be visiting us next month.”

Autumn grinned, too. Hope was still struck – after six years – at how much she resembled her father aside from her hair. She had Hope’s small rebellious streak, though.

“What about that lady Michelle? Did you ever see her again?”

Hope laughed. “Who do you think cooks our meals?” Autumn’s mouth dropped open in an ‘O’. “Now time for bed.”

Autumn started to argue but stopped when her father leaned on her door. Neither of them had heard him coming.

“You heard your mother,” he said. “Time for bed.”

Autumn pouted again. “But Dad-”

“No buts,” he said and kissed her on the forehead. Grudgingly, she slid under the covers. He laughed and tucked her in. “Get some sleep and we’ll do something fun tomorrow.”

Autumn’s eyes lit up with the promise and snuggled into her covers. Even with the fire, the rainy day’s cold had slipped through every crack.

“Good night, my love,” Hope whispered and kissed Autumn’s cheek.

“Good night, Mommy.”

Hope blew out the candle and took Zeke’s hand after shutting the door.

“What story was it this time?” he asked, swinging their hands.

“Ours,” she said simply. “She loves that story.”

Zeke’s forehead wrinkled. “Did you tell her about Erick and Seth?”

“What, and give her nightmares? No, she’s better off not knowing.”

“She’ll need to be told sooner or later.”

Hope sighed. “Look, she’s only six. Erick and Seth have been dead a long time. She doesn’t even remember what they did.”

“She might not but I do,” Zeke said darkly, glaring at the fire as he dressed for bed.

When Autumn was just a baby, Erick and Seth had slipped into their kingdom. Hope remembered with a shiver the attempted kidnapping. Thankfully, one of the guards heard the window break and caught them just in time. They were hung a few days later and buried with the other criminals. Since then, Autumn’s room was moved closer to their own.

Hope cuddled up to her husband and sighed happily.

“I love you,” he murmured sleepily.

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The end. :) I hope that you all enjoyed it and thank you to those who stuck with it from the beginning. My new story will come soon.