Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Two

Hope woke to the sound of birds chirping overhead. Michelle had placed her in a spare bed in her attic. Hope lay there for a while, remembering the look on Zeke’s face as he studied her. He had grown quite handsome over the years. She finally sat up and looked over the edge of the loft. Michelle was still asleep and Hope climbed down quietly. She left a note of thanks on Michelle’s table and left, grabbing her cloak as she did.

The day was bright and humid. It was difficult to avoid the puddles and Hope returned to where she spent most of the day. Her few belongings were still there and she packed them in her rucksack. Something Michelle said last night got her thinking. It had been years and Hope had nothing for her here in the village.

So why stay?

People were on the way to the market and sneered at her as she walked by them. Hope ignored them; she was leaving anyway. When she reached the edge of the kingdom she turned around to take one last look at her former home. The rain from the day before had caused a fog to lift among the rooftops. The castle stood elegantly, looking over the homes.

Hope nodded resolutely and continued down the muddy road. She didn’t know where she was going but she didn’t care. Anywhere was better than what was behind her: nothing but shattered dreams and a broken heart.

When the sun reached its peak, she paused and searched for berries. Even though her lunch was small, her desire to find a new life kept Hope moving. A new life, a new kingdom, a new start.

Night fell and Hope was getting weary. She was stumbling and searching for shelter. Her legs were about to give out and she regretted not searching for more food at lunch time. Without warning, a horse came bolting down the lane and ran right into Hope, sending her flying and causing her to hit her head on a rock. The world went black.

..

“I understand your position,” the general said. “And I sympathize but we cannot come to an agreement.”

Zeke sighed and massaged his temples. “Surely we can agree on something.”

Negotiations were not going well. Zeke arrived two days prior and had been in the same room since. Goblets of wine were refilled constantly although the party definitely missed the buzz. Several arguments happened, resulting in the general’s right hand man being tossed out from his collar by the general himself. Zeke sat quietly during the fights, trying to find what was wrong with the treaty they were trying to sign.

“Boundaries,” someone said and everyone looked at him. It was the general’s son, Marcus.

“Shut up,” his father hissed and Marcus looked back at his goblet.

Marcus was constantly beaten down by his father, Erick. Erick refused to let his son bloom for whatever reason and Zeke was tired of seeing the young man pushed down like that.

“Boundaries,” he agreed, nodding at Marcus encouragingly. “That’s a wonderful place to start, don’t you think?”

Erick pursed his lips. “I suppose.”

“Great!” Zeke said, scribbling it down. “Where are the boundaries?”

“Go get a map,” Erick snapped to Marcus who stood quickly and obliged.

I hate negotiations, Zeke thought with a sigh and sat back in his chair.

-Five Hours Later-

The door burst open followed by drunken laughter. Negotiations had been reached and everyone was pleased. Everyone, that is, but Zeke. Even though it was all over, it had cost him a great deal. Erick had a niece who needed a husband. In Erick’s mind, it made sense seeing as how Zeke needed a wife.

“I’ll have the butler show you to your room,” Erick said when they reached the foyer. “Then tomorrow morning you can meet Saria.”

“I look forward to it,” Zeke said hollowly.

..

“Do you think she’s okay?”

“We don’t have time for this!”

“We’re the ones who ran her over.”

“I thought you wanted to run away from your uncle.”

“I do but we can’t just leave her here!”

“Your Highness, I-”

“Shh! She’s waking up now!”

Hope blinked her eyes open and looked up. Two people were standing over her. One was a knight in black armor that represented the kingdom to the south. He was holding a torch and it illuminated the face of a young woman. A young woman who looked just like Hope.

“Are you OK?” the young woman asked and Hope groaned, putting a hand to her forehead.

“I feel like I got hit by something,” she mumbled and the woman smiled apologetically.

“We didn’t see you,” she said. “And we’re kind of in a hurry…”

“Easy, Saria,” the knight warned and the young woman shot him a withering glare. “I’ll go check on the horse,” he said slowly and walked off.

The woman helped her sit up. “My name is Saria.”

“Hope,” she returned, rubbing her lower back. “Where were you going in such a hurry?”

“It’s nothing important,” Saria said and helped Hope to her feet. “Come on, we’ll get you something to eat.”

“If it wasn’t important then you wouldn’t be running so hard,” Hope pressed as Saria took a saddle bag off of what looked like a palace quality horse.

She sighed. “I’m running from my uncle, King Talon’s general.”

“Why?”

Saria started a small fire and put a pot over it followed by a chunk of meat. “Because he is bent on me marrying and he’s forcing me to marry King Zeke.”

Hope looked up, trying to hide her shock. “Why wouldn’t you want to marry him? I hear he’s quite a handsome young man.” Saria stared to her right and Hope followed her gaze to the young knight who was tying the horse to a tree. “Oh.”

“Uncle Erick doesn’t agree,” Saria said, flipping the meat. “James was injured in a battle that left a permanent scar on his face. Erick says I shouldn’t marry a man who has an imperfection.”

“Do you love him?” Saria smiled sadly. “Then you should marry him.”

“Have you ever been in love?”

Hope didn’t respond.

“I’ve had a thought,” James said as he joined them at the fire. “I don’t think we’re the only ones running.” He stared pointedly at Hope. “But I wonder what you’re running from.”

“The past,” she answered simply. “I was actually on my way to your kingdom.”

“Do you know anyone there?” She shook her head no and James glanced at Saria. “You and Saria look very much alike, did you notice?”

“What are you suggesting?”

He settled down, leaning against a trunk. “We could dress you as Saria and you can go in her stead.”

Saria stared at him. “That sounds like it might work. If you’re in agreement of course,” she added hastily.

Hope thought about it. She came for a new life but there was just one problem: Zeke. She was aware of the two watching her.

“Won’t they notice?”

“Not if we play it right,” James said. “We could spend the night teaching you all about Saria and then send you back on the horse. You’ll be back by midday.”

“What about you? How will you get on without your horse?”

“We’ll figure something out. I care too much about Saria to let her uncle do this to her.”

Saria beamed and took his hand. “What do you say, Hope?”

Hope sighed and looked at her. “Don’t you mean Saria?”

Saria and James grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please. :)