Sequel: Autumnal Equinox
Status: My health has been declining recently. Every story will be updated very slowly. I'm sorry.

Hope in the Rain

Chapter Three

“WHERE IS SHE!?” Erick bellowed at the poor butler.

“I- I do not know sir,” he breathed. “I went to wake her but she was missing from her bed. It was stuffed with pillows, you see.”

Erick looked like he was about to explode again but Zeke interrupted him. He had been staring gloomily out the window and noticed a horse trotting up with a female rider.

“Perhaps she went on an early ride,” he said calmly and Erick stormed over.

“I’ll kill her,” he murmured under his breath and stomped out of the room to meet his niece in the foyer. “What were you thinking!?” Zeke heard him yell. “This is a fine first impression you’re giving your fiancée! We’ll be lucky if he still wants to even consider marrying you!”

The niece didn’t reply but soon the doors reopened and in walked Erick, gripping a young woman by the elbow. Zeke stared, open mouthed.

“King Zeke, this is my niece Saria,” Erick introduced. Her eyes met his and he felt his stomach clench. Something wasn’t right here. Wasn’t this the peasant girl he passed on his way out of the kingdom? “Say something,” Erick hissed to the girl and she cleared her throat.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness,” she muttered, bowing respectfully.

“We will have a ball this evening in honor of the engagement!” Erick ordered. “There is a garden behind the castle if you two would like some time to become acquainted. Saria knows the way.”

He left and Zeke turned to Saria. “I would like to see this garden,” he said slowly, searching her eyes. “Lead the way.”

..

Hope swallowed thickly. She had no idea where the back door to the garden was. It wasn’t one of the things they had gone over. She pretended to know where she was going, though, and took a random shot in the dark. She opened the door to their left in the foyer and laughed nervously.

“If you ever wonder where to put your cloak,” she said and he smiled politely, making her heart skip a beat.

“That’s good to know. The garden?”

“Oh. Right.” She walked down a hall and glanced through the different windows, hoping to see the garden. Finally she did and she smiled triumphantly, opening the double doors to enter the garden. “Here we are.”

“It is beautiful,” Zeke commented, gazing around the large atrium. A small path wound around a corner and he offered his arm. “Shall we walk? I would like to know more about you.” She accepted and tried to act naturally. “Why do you and your uncle live here in the castle?”

Finally. Something I know the answer to.

“My parents died when I was very young and my uncle convinced the King to take me in. Eventually Uncle Erick took up a room here as well. He claims it was to be closer to me but…”

“You suspect differently,” Zeke finished and she nodded. “Why is that?”

Hope hesitated. “My mother and I used to work in the garden for the King before she died,” she continued and gasped.

Zeke had pulled her behind a tall hedge.

“I have always been a blunt man,” he said quietly, glancing around the hedge occasionally. “What’s going on?” Hope didn’t know how to answer. “I saw you. The day we were leaving, I saw you.”

Hope sighed and tried to move away from him; he was much too close.

“I’m surprised you recognized me this time,” she murmured. She closed her eyes and groaned quietly.

“What are you talking about?” he asked and she looked up. His face was shocked and confused.

Footsteps and voices started to get closer. It was then that Hope remembered James’s warning:

If they catch you, run.

“I have to go,” she breathed and slipped out, nodding to the soldiers and following Saria’s instructions on how to get in her room.

..

Zeke frowned, eyes glued to the spot where she had been just moments earlier. What did she mean he recognized her this time? Had they met before? Something definitely seemed familiar about her. But why was she pretending to be this guy’s daughter? What did she have to gain from it? And what happened to the real Saria?

“There you are, Your Highness!” Erick bellowed from across the hall when he walked into the dining room two hours later. It was obvious he had been drinking and he was pushing the girl roughly into a seat across from Zeke’s. “We were beginning to wonder!”

“No need to shout, Uncle,” the girl whispered, taking the goblet carefully.

He didn’t seem to notice. He barked for a servant girl to bring in the dinner. Zeke was liking him less with each passing moment. While Erick was loudly retelling one of his victories, he beckoned the girl closer.

“Did Saria mention if he always does this?” She blushed. “Please answer. It’s important.”

The girl stared at Erick who was waving his arm like a madman. His face was very red.

“Unfortunately. It’s one of the reasons why she… Well, the King is starting to notice.”

Zeke narrowed his eyes at her. “What aren’t you telling me?” She ran a hand through her hair distractedly, glancing at Erick. He tried to suppress a frustrated growl. “Fine. What’s your real name?”

Their eyes met and he could tell she was about to answer then-

“BAM!” They both jumped and looked at Erick, startled. “They were all dead! Just like that! And that’s when King Talon decided it was time for a promotion!” When they didn’t say anything, he frowned at the girl. “What’s wrong with you, Saria? You loved that story!”

“Oh,” she gasped. “I- Well…”

He grinned. “I get it. Distracted are we?” He winked and Zeke arched a brow. “That’s OK. I’ll let it slide this time. Now, shall I tell you about the time I took down a whole cavalry by myself?”

“I really should get some sleep,” Zeke interrupted and he saw the girl yawn pointedly. “I will escort you if you like, Saria.”

“Missing out on a good story!” Erick yelled after them as they walked out.

When they were far out of earshot of anyone, the girl mumbled, “He is vile.”

“Tell me about it,” Zeke agreed with a sigh. They walked in silence. “So. Am I going to have to guess at your name?”

“It’s Saria,” she said lightly.

“Yeah, and I’m king of the world,” he returned sarcastically. She laughed and he frowned at the carpet. It sounded familiar… “Seriously, though.”

“I guess you’ll just have to guess,” she whispered. They had reached her room and she cleared her throat, extending her hand. “Well, until tomorrow.”

He searched her eyes as he took her hand and lifted her knuckles to his lips. “Very well. Two can play at that game. See you in the morning, Jasmine.”

She laughed and opened her door.

“Not even close.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please!