‹ Prequel: Over Christmas Break
Sequel: Hope For Moving On
Status: complete

Over Spring Break

A New Chapter to Life

Flashback
“David, I know Christmas isn’t until tomorrow, but I have something I want to tell you.”

“Yeah?”

“I’m kind of in love with you.”

“I’m kind of in love with you too.” We both grinned and shared a quick kiss before watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas together.


Present Day
As I started the familiar drive home, I think only about the one person who I’ve been thinking about since I saw that little plus sign. David Toews, yes, that’s who.

I hopped onto the main road out of Clinton, Iowa and headed due east towards the river and Illinois. I decided as I looked out onto the slowly unfreezing river, I needed reinforcements for the ride home. I pulled off the main road in Illinois and headed to the little restaurant just five minutes out of the way to grab some ice cream. I pulled into the parking lot, got out of the car, leaving it running in the lot, and headed inside to slap a five down on the bar counter and taking the Black Cherry ice cream that was currently sitting there, just waiting for me as Jim had seen me bounding in. I thanked him and grabbed a spoon before going back to the car. I popped the top of the dessert, plopped the spoon into it, and put the car in reverse. I backed out and got back on the road for the two hour drive home.

The entire ride home, to stop myself from thinking about David, I blasted the radio and sang out loud to my favorite songs. It was when I hopped off the highway that I decided I would surprise my mom at work. I hit the local Wal-Mart before going to find her in the Hallmark card section.

“Hey, Momma,” I greeted her as she stocked the shelves.

“Harper, I wasn’t expecting you to stop in, but I’m glad you did.” She exclaimed as she put down what was in her hands and gave me a hug. I reciprocated and waved hello to her boss, Melanie.

“Thought I’d surprise you before going home to face David for the first time since January,” I explained.

“Hunny, he moved out.”

“What? When?” was my questioning response.

“Middle of last month or so, he said his teammate was letting him stay at his place. He didn’t want things to be awkward when you came home.”

“Things wouldn’t have been awkward. I actually really have to talk to him. Do you know which teammate?”

“He never did say. Har, did you gain weight over him? Last I saw you; you weren’t eating because you were so upset.”

“Uh, yeah, Mom, I gained like seven pounds, no big deal.”

“But softball?” she gave me a crazed look.

“Not playing, I got a job at school instead.”

“But that’s why you picked AU, baby,” she started to say.

“Mom, I’m pregnant.” I just let it slip. She looked at me and than glanced up and down. By the time her eyes met mine again, she actually wore a smile. “Why are you smiling? You’re supposed to tell me how I’ve messed up the rest of my life because of David and this baby!”

“But this baby won’t do that, Harper. It will bring two people together that are meant to be. You just don’t see what I see.” She replied before deciding enough was enough and she picked up the next stack of cards.

“Why are David and I meant to be together?”

“Because he is one of the good ones, darling, he hurt you once, shame on him. He knows if he does it again, you are gone for good. He left you something in your bedroom. He said no one could live in there until you came home. Afterwards, it wouldn’t matter was what he told me.” My phone rang, signaling a new text and it was just a Blackhawks update. I read it out loud.

“David Toews recalled to the Blackhawks for his first regular season NHL game ever, tonight.” I paused and thought about what this might mean. “I’ve got to go!” I kissed Mom’s cheek and ran out of the store and back to my car while dialing the one person I knew could help me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who commented on the original's last two chapters. I have to say, I love comments, but getting more on the last two chapters than the rest of the story is a little worrying. I want two comments for an update on this. I even have it written already!