‹ Prequel: Over Christmas Break
Sequel: Hope For Moving On
Status: complete

Over Spring Break

More Than a Secret

“Harper, is that you?” I heard his voice come across the line in a whisper.

“Yeah, I need a favor.”

“You want tickets for tonight, don’t you?” he knowingly asked.

“Yes please, it can only be one. I know you have your parents who will need tickets too.”

“I have two going to will call for you, Harper.”

“Thank you, Captain Serious! Hey, um, is it true that he broke up with Lily for real this time?”

“Yeah, he did, for you.”

“For me?” was my statement in disbelief. Jonathan had just confirmed it. “If he did that, why wouldn’t he try to talk to me or why would he move out of my mom’s house?”

“He couldn’t exactly chase after you because of hockey, so he did the next best thing. He worked his ass off to make it to the NHL. Q says he could be with us for the rest of the season. He just has to perform better than Brandon Pirri.”

“That would be great!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, it would. Now, call up a friend and come to the game. I’ll make sure that Jimbo knows you’re coming too.”

“Thanks, Jon. And please, please don’t tell him I’m coming.” He confirmed that he wouldn’t and we hung up. I drove straight to my house and into my old room that David had been staying in. I looked around to see it was practically empty. I opened the closet and his jersey was hanging there. The same one that I wore the night he got me pregnant. There was a piece of paper attached to it with a safety pin. I saw David’s handwriting and began to read it.

Harper,
As you can see, I’ve moved out in hopes that it will show you I value that this is your home and a place that shouldn’t be a place you hate to be. And obviously, I’ve left you this jersey in hopes that you’ll wear it and think of me as the guy you fell for not the asshole I became. I’m sorry that I forgot to tell you about Lily still thinking we were dating and not doing a thing about it at Christmas. Because the truth it, the moment I saw you walk into my room in December, I knew you were special. We met by accident and it turned out for the better until I fucked up. I’m sorry, Harper. I fell for you just as hard as you fell for me. I couldn’t run after you because of hockey, but I would’ve if I could. I really hope you don’t stop being my number one fan because I’ll need you if I hope to ever make it in the NHL, because you are the reason that I’m going to be a somebody.
Love,
David

I looked at the note as the tears fell from my eyes. He did feel the same as me. I dried my eyes and called Jenny, my cousin, as I went to get my bags from the car.

“What up, bitch?” she answered.

“I need you to go the Blackhawks game with me. I have to see David.”

“Of course, where should we meet?”

“Gram’s, say four o’clock?” was my response.

“Alright, do you have tickets, if not I can always ask Uncle Johnny.”

“No, I’ve got a friend who had some. We just have to pick them up at will call.”

“Okay, see you at four I guess.” I hung up with her and unpacked my favorite pair of jeans and a t-shirt than I had stolen from David and hopped in the shower.

After showering, I took a few moments to admire my slight bump. I was just shy of three months, so a bump was to be expected. I quickly dressed in the jeans and t-shirt before slipping the jersey on over the top. I than grabbed my makeup bag and applied just a thin liner and shadow to the eyes before heading out the door to meet Jenny. I arrived before she did, so I checked on the empty house since Gram and Gramps were living the retired life in Florida. She arrived a few minutes later and we got in her car and drove towards the city.

“So, why do you have to see this David at a Blackhawks game?” she questioned. It hit me than that I never did tell her it was David Toews.

“He’s David Toews, Jenny. That’s why we have to go to the game.”

“That’s his jersey, oh my god, I can’t believe you didn’t tell me! And that I didn’t see that your jersey was an Ice Hogs jersey instead of the Hawks. I just automatically thought it was your Sharp or Keith jerseys.”

“No, it’s David’s and it was given to me the night he got me pregnant.”

“Pregnant?” she jerked the car and people honked but she righted us before looking towards me.

“Yeah, I told you he played hockey for the Hogs and now he’s recalled.”

“Holy shit, I thought you guys broke up or whatever before you went back to school?”

“We did.”

“Than how’d you get tickets?”

“From Jonathan,” I replied in a whisper. Jonathan’s was the name and number on her back and everywhere in her place back near the University.

“You know Jonathan fucking Toews and didn’t tell me!”

“He doesn’t like being known as the Hawks captain outside the rink. He’s a normal guy, so he’s just Jon to me.”

“Not my point here, cuz. I mean you could’ve told me.”

“I guess I really shouldn’t tell you that I celebrated the New Year with him and the team in Florida and Christmas Eve at his place than, huh,” I sheepishly remarked.

“And New Years?!” she asked with obvious irritation.

“Well, David invited me to Christmas since my family was with Gram and Gramps. Then David and I got in this huge fight over his girlfriend or whatever she was and I left, the Hawks played the Panthers the Monday after the New Year. So they called me and invited me to go out with them and party. So I did.”

“Did you know you were pregnant than?”

“No, I didn’t find out until my Dad’s birthday.”

“The 31st of January, what did you guys do?”

“We spent New Years Eve drinking and New Years Day recovering from the drinking. The guys are great; it was a lot of fun. More so than I ever had with the Ice Hogs,” I commented.

“Seriously, why didn’t I get an invite?”

“You’re too busy for me!”

“Screw you,” Jenny replied as we finally hit the city of Chicago ramp. We had just come up to Cumberland Avenue and as usual, it was bumper to bumper because city people suck at driving. But Jenny and I were able to hop in the express lanes which sped up the process a little bit. We decided to listen to the Jason Aldean album on my iPod in silence, apart from our singing along. We arrived safely at the United Center parking lots and found a spot. We then found the will call door and got the tickets. Jenny immediately took them from me and announced we were three rows off ice. I was shocked that Jon could get such good tickets with so little time, but thankful as well. We got inside and past security before stopping to make a free sign courtesy of Sharpie.

We worked together to make it say something that would make sure that David knew it was my sign. So he would know that I got his note. That I was still his number one fan. We decided on the phrase, “A Somebody for Me!” – David Toews.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a bit longer than I usually post, but there was no point to break it off at that would be an appropriate length. Oh well. I want three comments to post more. And thanks to you all who already commented on the first chapter. I have the next chapter written, so comment and I can have it up in 8-10 hours depending on my workload today.