Tiptoe Through the Tulips

Forty One.

“I think that’s a good idea,” He sighed, the tip of his nose red, his hand still covered in a layer of grime that none of us could seem to clean. The other was cleaner, wrapped in thick white bandages. I had no idea how anyone had gotten them but I was glad.

And the flesh underneath was pink, tinged, painful but not black, not dead.
Not infected.

Rick wasn’t going to die from losing his hand, but, he didn’t seem all there anymore, murmuring to himself, wandering off just past the low barrier.

“West and South makes sense,” he rubbed the remaining hand over his crinkled forehead, “We can gather supplies, if we can get enough fuel we can test a couple of the routes you drew out...”

“We should stay here a couple of days first.” Daryl said, gruff as ever, “Map shows there’s a town ‘bout ten miles from here, we make a few trips, see what we can get...”

“What about Woodbury?” Michonne pointed out, “The Governor is gone, most of the people that supported him, that place is full of supplies, weapons, silent weapons... we’d be stupid to not head back that way.”

I glanced from my spot next to Seth on the bonnet of the closest car to Daryl who met my eyes, pursing his lips slightly as I nodded.

Rick and Daryl did much the same thing before they both nodded, “Fine,” Rick started, the air had a slight chill, but the sky was clear. “We have enough gas for the cars, how far away from Woodbury are we?”
The name itself made everyone shudder slightly.

“We drove for about three hours to get here.” Maggie said, “It’s a lot of fuel to use...”

“But we know for sure that there is gas there.” Michonne cut in.

Everyone glanced once again at each other.

“I think it’s worth it,” I said eventually, the silence only broken by my sigh.

“We can’t afford to send too many people.” I nodded at Daryl, opening my mouth to offer when there was a sharp pinch on my arm.

“Don’t, he doesn’t want you going,” Seth hissed, causing me to clamp my mouth shut for the moment.
So far, the ‘new group’ hadn’t been too vocal, Seth had said they barely had a plan, and there was strength in numbers.

Plus, he has said with dark humour, it wasn’t like we were going to find a paradise, we’re hunting for a fucking mirage.

I ran my tongue over my lip, we did need supplies, not just gas. We were already starting to get low on water, we had plenty of canned food, but little that baby Sophia could eat.

Thinking of her I glanced over, she was sat on Martha’s lap, Beth currently close, letting her small fists clasp her fingers. I fought a smile, trying to remain in the planning,

“We don’t have time to be doing all this, we need to go south. Head into fucking Mexico.”

“Sasha...” Seth said almost tiredly, “We have no evidence that the infection didn't hit Mexico, that it isn’t worldwide, we need to find somewhere safe...we can’t get all that way and be in the same shit but in a worse place.”

She growled as was becoming common, standing leaning back, thin arms crossed over her chest, “We had a plan before we met these...”

“Half a plan, and now we are part of a larger group, don’t be stupid Sasha, it’s safer and we have more options.” I sucked on my lip awkwardly becoming trapped in between the two young adults arguing.

“Guys,” Abed rose his voice, but it was drowned out, “Any sounds will attract walkers!” Everyone else looked uncomfortable, no-one was that comfortable with them yet, Maggie’s eyes met mine and I knew exactly what she was thinking.

That Sasha girl is just trouble.

“Enough!” Rick rose his voice loud, causing Sophia to burst into tears and finally stopping the bickering, Beth rocking her against her chest quickly. “I am sorry Sasha, I am sorry you don’t agree with our plans, but this is a democracy... it may not have been for a while but we have all seen what a dictatorship can do.”

My eyes lingered on his stumped wrist, many others doing so.

The images of Lori strung up glimmered in my mind, almost making me lurch.

“And we vote as a group and that is it. Heading to both Woodbury and the closest town, and then from here heading West to find a less populated area.” I put my hand up quickly, followed by the majority of the group, Seth the last to lift his hand, well under the glare of Sasha.

“Then I’m sorry Sasha but that is what is happening.”

She huffed, swinging on her heel and storming to one of the cars, “Then I am gone.” She spat, glaring at Rick who had just made the most sense he had in weeks, he had been fair, open. That was gone now and his eyes were clouded over again, I don’t think he could even see or hear her.

“Sasha, you’re overreacting! You can’t just...”

“Fuck you Seth,” She grunted, shoving random supplies into a large bag and flinging it over her shoulder, “I’m fucking better off without a bunch of useless...”

“Sasha if you go alone you will die,” Martha’s frail voice rang out, stopping her in her tracks.
She turned, only staring quickly before she walked off, leaving everyone in a stunned silence.

“What the fuck just happened?” Michonne said, her eyes wide, Seth grumbled, dragging himself off of the bonnet and sprinting after her, their voices mostly low but still catching in the wind.

“They need to be quiet or they’re gunna attract fuckin’ walkers.” T-dog said, loud enough for all to hear. “She can’t really wanna be going off her herself.”

“She’s threatened it a lot of times,” Abed sighed, rubbing a hand over his stubbled chin, “She isn’t right that girl. Seth isn't going to change that...”

“Then we can’t let her go off and get herself killed can we?”

“If she wants to leave we ain’t stoppin’ her. All she’s done is cause shit.” Daryl cut in, Merle nodding, showing his agreement.

“So we’re gunna let her run off and die?” Andrea’s voice sounded much older than her physical appearance, weary, weary of it all.

I glanced at Rick, Carl murmuring to him but he didn’t answer, and one by one everyone’s eyes landed on Daryl, since had assumed the unofficial role of ‘second in command’.

“She wants to go, we ain’t stopping her.”

No-one disagreed with him.
Seth returning alone a few minutes later, looking slightly upset, but determined, “She’s gone.”

And shortly, with the coolness we had all developed, it was back to business.

“If people go, this isn’t a one day thing, especially with Woodbury, whoever goes will be there overnight.” Andrea sucked on her lips, having made her point. “But...I don’t want to go.” She said bluntly, offering no explanation.

Although everyone could see she was sick of it all, losing hope.

“Well who is going?”

“We need enough people to ago, but enough here.”

“Well Rick ain’t going nowhere.” Merle chimed in, “He ain’t right in the head.” I glared at him, a small group of us discussing tactics, as usual.

“He’s right,” I sighed, “Rick stays here, Carl, Sophia, Beth, Martha, Andrea.”

“We need more than that here to keep everyone safe.”

“Ariella...” I shook my head at my boyfriend.

“I want to go Daryl... and I want to go to Woodbury,” I cut him off before he could argue, “We were there before, “ I gestured at Michonne, “And we walked around, we have a better idea than everyone else on where stuff may be.”

“Shouldn’t send too many people, three or four both places, we can’t send everyone else at once, and we need room in the cars.” Maggie chipped in.

We debated, or in mine and Daryl’s case, argued until it was decided who would go.
We wanted a mix of speed, knowledge and aim.

I was going to Woodbury, with T-dog, Merle and Seth.
Daryl was going to the other town, with Maggie, Glenn and Michonne.

“I’m not happy ‘bout this.” He murmured against my lips, half hidden behind a truck.

“Get over it.” I teased, deepening the kiss, his hands sliding down my stomach and towards my crotch.

“Not now,” I complained, pushing his hand away. “ I’ll be back tomorrow, you hold up the fort.” He half grinned, pushing his lips against mine again quickly.

“Feel free to smack my brother one if he deserves it.” I sniggered, “And I ain’t sure ‘bout that Seth guy.” I rolled my eyes,

“T will be there, and it will be fine. Alright? You watch out for Maggie and that yeah?” It was his turn to roll his.

“I still ain't sure ‘bout Merle going.”

“He was at Woodbury, he was with the Governor, he knows his way around. It’s only one night.”

“It ain’t close enough for me to come save you.” I snorted, brushing growing hair from his eyes.

“I don’t always need saving, and I know my track record doesn’t back that up,” I cut him off, “But it will be fine.”

“Guys, we’re heading out,” Glenn called and we moved from behind the car.

“Don’t do nothin’ stupid.”

“Back at cha, see you tomorrow.” I kissed him lightly, climbing in the front of the truck alongside T-dog, our main aim to get gas and weapons, melee ones, but guns if necessary. I shivered in the cool air, tugging my jumper sleeves down, waiting as Seth and Merle climbed in.

“All ready to go?” T-dog asked, his eyes lingering on Merle longer than necessary.

“You know the deal Merle,” I confirmed, turning, “You mention that one little n-word and I have permission to cut your tongue out.”

I smiled widely and sarcastically as I finished, watching him rolling his eyes before sitting properly in my seat, pulling the belt across.

“Let’s get this over with.”
______________________________________________________

“What about you Ariella?” I turned to face him, “You haven’t spoken much about your family or anything.” I shrugged, lying instantly.

“Not much to tell really.” T-dog snorted.

“This coming from the girl who don’t shut up most the time.” I pulled a face, keeping my eyes on the treeline passing quickly.

“We lived in a small town near LA. I have three elders brothers, my mum died when I was two...I lived with my friend Marc near the end and after highschool, then I went to college, there really isn’t anything exciting to tell.”

“I like that,” Seth said lightly, I turned to face him, suddenly under the impression he was making that comment about my mother, “That you used the present tense, not past...have, not had.” I felt my brow furrow, shaking it off,before sitting back, the roads beginning to seem familiar.

Did I think they were still alive?

A part of me hoped, hoped that Matt, in the army, had been sent abroad, somewhere safe, was running a shelter. That somehow he had gotten his family away, the same with Michael and Phillip, that they had escaped.

My father...well, another part of me wanted to see him as a Walker, so I could do what I had always wanted.
Kill him.

It was a sick thought, but, as the darker part of me reasoned. Perfectly acceptable.

“Keep ya eyes out,” Merle warned suddenly, “We didn’t stab ‘em all in the head, and from what Daryl says that's the only way to keep ‘em down. We’re almost there.”

I shuffled quickly, everyone but T-dog pulling a gun from the foot-well in front of them, a few knives as well, I leant back, lifting half of my body off of the seat and slipping them in my belt.

We arrived at Woodbury shortly, the gates still wrenched open from when we had left, the section of our escape I didn’t remember. The section in which Merle dragged me out, saved me.

It was easy to forget that went you spent time around his sarcastic, ignorant arse.

“Are we driving in or leaving the car here?”

“If you leave it on the right main street, turn it to face the exit, ‘nuff space, near the hall, easy to get away.” Merle answered, sounding sincere, like he knew what he was on about. T-dog shot me a look but did as Merle said, only a few Walkers in sight.

“Let’s clear around here now, do a basic walk of the place?” I suggested, leaving the truck, moving to the back to get an axe Abed had had on him, similar to mine all those months ago. We split into pairs, Seth and myself and an unhappy T-dog with Merle.

“Just let me know ‘bout Merle’s etiquette." I teased, as Seth and I went to search a few of the closet houses, for food, clothes.

“I really hope there’s some decent threads in one of these.” I snorted at him.

“Threads? Jesus, how hipster are you?”

“I was the king of the hipsters I’ll have you know.” His tone was flirtatious, and I responded in much the same way, keeping the conversation light, off of serious matters.

Nothing would ever happen, but I liked the attention, the joking. It was nice to have someone to be like that with, how I was with Marc, Aaron.
Someone my age that wasn’t practically married like Glenn.

“I’ll just make sure I’m polite,” he said, our voices were low once in the house and we did a quick sweep of the small property before heading up to the bedroom, “I don’t fancy losing my tongue.” I grinned up at him.

“I wouldn’t put my hands anywhere near Merle’s mouth.” I countered, “We just don’t have the best track record.”

“I thought he was the one who carried you out of this place.” I nodded,

“He’s still got a bit of redeeming to do, and not just with me.” Filling him in on what Glenn had told me of Atlanta, his racism, attack of T-dog.

“Sounds charming. But... as long as he doesn’t pull any shit, he’s cool with me.” He turned suddenly from by the wardrobe, flinging a jumper at me, “This looks like it will fit you a bit better than that sack you've got on.”

“Maybe I’m going for a certain look.”

“Hobo?” I scoffed at him, pulling the far too large forest green over my head, feeling the cold through my thin tank top, but quickly replacing it with the jumper. It wasn’t bad, something I may have even worn before the apocalypse.

“Not bad...If there's anything else that will fit...” I did a twirl, pouting ridiculously. The jokey mood dropping instantly as we heard a clang from downstairs and we froze, instantly grabbing our weapons. There was just one noise, and we stood, listening for another.

“Something we moved must have fallen,” He said, not sounding convinced.

“Yeah,” I said, forcing confidence into my voice, “Yeah, let’s just finish up here. And we’ll head down and check, just be silent.”

We were, no speaking whatsoever as we scanned through the other bedroom and bathroom, Seth shoving his rifle in his man-made holster, made of a belt and rope, and grinning as he showed me a metal baseball bat, earning a nod as I shoved paracetamol from the cabinet into the backpack that had formerly been Abeds'.

After a few minutes we could fight it no longer and we started downstairs, the axe in my hand. The bat in his. The living room was clear. “The basement.” I hissed, another clank suddenly sounding from by the door under the stairs. Another from the kitchen. He shot me a look, heading back into the living room to double check.

Unfortunately in the few second his back was turned the noise from the kitchen proved to be a walker, one who had gotten through the back door we had stupidly left open, one I recognised.

One of the Governors men.

I panicked, swinging my axe, missing and allowing it to wedge into the basement door. “Oh shit” I mumbled, “Seth!” At the same time the basement door cracked, groans growing as the walker inside heard another, heard me properly. A hand shot through, mostly muscle, decaying skin.

And it grabbed onto my stupid new jumper. “Seth!” My voice raised, not able to reach my gun as my hands struggled to both free myself and keep the other Walker away.

He appeared suddenly, muttering an ‘oh shit’ and swinging his bat into the standing walker, pushing it back and beating it’s head madly, blood splattering over the work surfaces and tiled floor. Leaving me to only deal with one Walker, which seemed by now that it should be no big deal.
And normally it wasn’t.

But this one was determined, it kept pushing against the weak door, the crack growing, my pulling at the axe only making it worse. Seth turned, helping me, the axe ripping from the door but causing him to fall on me, the Walkers hand tearing from me. But causing Seth to land on me, luckily catching himself, keeping the majority of his weight off me.

But his lips were still just centimetres from my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO sorry about the massive gap between chapters.
I was just super busy with exams, and then I focused on other stories and neglected this.
And I feel as if I lost my way, but I have a nice new typed up plot... so this should be a LOT more regular.

Thankyou for sticking with this.
And, as always, thank you for reading.
Any comments would be great!