Chasing Ever After

Jack.

As soon as I see her current state, I laugh.

“Go away,” Sadie snaps, throwing me one of her notorious death glares. I laugh some more as I take a seat beside the bed. “Why’re you even here? Shouldn’t you be out there on the woods, with animals being drawn to you because of your floozy pheromones?”

“Floozy?” I look at her, eyebrows raised.

“Yes, you manwhore. Now go away,” she waves me off as she hides behind the blanket, but I drag it away from her, and she sits up with an ugly scowl, her braids now an eternal mess. “If you came here just to piss me off, just leave me be.”

“I heard from Annie, how your ‘marvellous’ fall happened. Wish I was there to witness it, though,” I tease her some more.

Sadie narrows her eyes and hits me in the face.

Ouch—I was kidding! I was kidding!” I tell her, grabbing her furious hand. She seems taken aback, and for a moment, I am, too. “I was worried, okay. That’s why I went over here as soon as possible.”

Of course I don’t tell her I came here running, totally uncool.

“Fuck off.”

“I’m serious,” I let go of her hand now and look away. “You’re really prone to accidents, and that gets us worried. Annie actually called me as soon as possible.”

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“Say something, Sadie,” I mumble, feeling awkward having to be the only one talking.

“You like butting into other people’s business, huh,” she begins wistfully.
I turn to face her. Wondering what she was getting at. “That time when I got sick too,” she continues, her voice barely inaudible. “And you even treated me kindly right after I said those things to you...”

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“Well, I guess I just…wanna thank you.”

I feel heat rushing up to my face as I stare, dumfounded, at Sadie. Her cheeks are pinkish, and she’s gritting her teeth sheepishly, her fingers are clenching at the blanket. I just stare at her for a few more heartbeats, not really thinking. Just staring.

I lean towards her, and this surprises her, but she doesn’t punch me or anything. She doesn’t say a word as my fingers make their way to her glasses, removing them. Her chocolate-brown eyes are wide and I look into them, somehow feeling drawn; I end up leaning even more closely, but she doesn’t stop me anyway, so I don’t stop either. It’s as if we’re both in a trance.

Sadie is really beautiful.

That’s the very last thought on my mind before the distance between us lessens.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more until I fully recover what was lost because of the Great Mibba Crash!