Status: completed

Be Free, Be You

Forty-Four

I couldn’t do this anymore. The more I thought about what happened in the choir room, the more I knew that Artie was right and Puck really was sorry. Two days later, after I'd had time to mull it all over and recruit Artie and Puck into my freshly hatched plan, I decided that I was going to put an end to all of this. So when I came to school the next morning with Artie and heard people still talking about the private group discussion that happened in the choir room, and that people were calling Steph a bitch for not staying, I was pushed over the edge.

“Like, who does that? Puck’s totally hot and all, but I would never turn against my sister for him! He was a total ass to Valarie in junior high.”

“I’m on Valarie’s side, Steph is being a major bitch.”

“Not even Puck is worth all of that drama.”

Not ten minutes in the school and I’d already had enough. However when I peered down the hall and saw some girls snickering at Steph as she walked by I surpassed my boiling point. I was pushing Artie but stopped and stormed over to the girls snickering. “Hey excuse me?”

They coward in front of me, their eyes wide as one of them asked, “Us?”

I nodded and hummed a yes. “Shut the hell up. As a matter of fact,” I turned and acknowledged the crowd that was no watching the little scene unfold. “You can all shut the hell up and leave Steph alone. This is between her, me, Artie and Puckerman. None of you. And If I so much as hear any of our names come out of anyone’s mouths again, I’ll make sure your life here is ruined. Do you all understand me?” I stood with my hands on my hips, my legs shoulder width apart and the fire and wrath of Hades flashing in my eyes as I glared at each and every one of the spectators. They all nodded and mumbled their yeses. “Now get the hell out of here and go to class.”

Boy did those people scatter. When the only people left were Artie, myself and Steph I turned and faced her. “Don’t you dare skip Glee Club today, or you’ll be sorry too.”

And I walked away.

I took Artie to his class, kissed him goodbye and went to my own class. By lunch came around the word got out about my scene before school and not one person mentioned the choir room incident again. Instead people would shut their mouths as I passed, and I was totally okay with it because I knew that soon something else would happen and catch attention. I’d made it totally clear that the Wilson Sisters were not longer to be messed with or talked about.

The school day passed in a blur and Cheerios practice was easier than usual because Coach Sue had paperwork to do for competition and couldn't totally focus on us. But when it came time to go to Glee Club I couldn’t help but get nervous. If Steph didn’t forgive me after this, then I didn’t have anything else to convince her. She knew that singing in front of people was a big insecurity of mine, so if this didn’t scream “I’m doing this for you” then I didn’t know what would.

The begining of Glee club passed and Mr. Schue talked about Glee Club’s competition coming up, then Berry sang some Barbra Streisand song that I didn’t care to listen to, and when Mr. Schue signalled the last call for anyone else to come up and sing before he dismissed everyone I raised my hand and timidly walked up to the front of the room.

“We’d like to sing something Mr. Schue,” I mumbled as Artie and Puck came forward.

Puck grabbed two stools while Artie wheeled himself to the right side of the two stools. Mr. Schue raised his brows and smiled at me, little wrinkles formed in the corners of his eyes. “The floor’s all yours guys.”

I sucked in a big breath and smiled my thanks at him as Mr. Schue took his seat. Puck sat in the stool on the left and I was left with the stool in the dead center of the room. “Just as a warning, some of the words were changed, but this is Hard to Say I’m Sorry by Chicago.” The band began playing and I sent them a thankful smile as I took my breath to sing and the boys got ready to sing the backup parts.

‘Everybody needs a little time away,’

I’ve heard you say,

‘From each other.’

Even sisters need a holiday,

Far away from each other.


The three of us sang the chorus in harmony and closed our eyes without thinking and poured ourselves into the music.

Hold me now,

It’s hard for me to say I’m sorry.

I just want you to stay.

After all that we’ve been through,

I will make it up to you.

I promise to.


Puck took the lead and Artie and I switched to backup, letting Puck’s voice ring out through the choir room.

After all that’s been said and done,

You’re just the part of me I can’t let go.

Couldn’t stand being kept away,

Just for the day,

From your body.

Wouldn’t wanna be swept away,

Far away from the one that I love.


The three of us brought our voices back into harmony and I even felt myself tear up a little.

Hold me now,

It’s hard for me to say I’m sorry.

I just want you to know,

Hold me now,

I really want to tell you I’m sorry.

I could never let you go.

After all that we’ve been through,

I will make it up to you.

I promise to.

After all that’s been said and done,

You’re just the part of me I can’t let go.

After all that we’ve been through,

I will make it up to you.

I promise to.


The instrumental break came then, and artie handed me a tissue. I looked at him confused but he just sent me a small smile. I took a moment to realize I was actually crying, I quickly grabbed the tissue and blotted my eyes. That was so embarrassing. I sucked in breath and sang the last line alone.

You’re gonna be the lucky one.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so very sorry for the delay.

I've been handling a severe family crisis, but I promise we're still continuing the story to the end!