Sequel: The Worst Choice
Status: retired prostitute.

The Best Mistake

The nightmare.

I wasn’t exactly sure where I was, to be honest. There were trees and grass and the sun was blazing down. It looked like a forest, but I couldn’t bring myself to say I was in a forest. There was an opening to the left of me though. Like an escape out of this place. There was a shadowy figure standing in the bright opening, not moving but somehow still making me feel like I needed to go there. So I did.

I was running but I wasn’t moving any faster than a slow walk. As I got closer, the shadowy figure became more and more clear. Now I could tell it was a guy. And he was wearing a white button up shirt with a black tie and black slacks. I still couldn’t see his face, but I could see that a black hat was sitting on top of his head. Now I could see he was motioning me to come forward with his hands. Once I reached him, I saw who it was. Nash. He was smiling widely and there was nothing but love in his eyes. I could sense I was smiling and that my eyes were showing something similar to his.

But just as I took on more step forward, the light darkened a little. The trees all seemed to be dying. And suddenly, the edge of a knife poked through Nash’s chest- like somebody had stabbed him in his back. I went to scream, but nothing came out. Nash’s smile had dropped and now all he was looking at me with was disgust and hatred as blood slowly fell down his shirt. I was crying.

* * * *


“Ashy! Ashy! Wake up!”

I shot up in my bed, which caused Alex to scream slightly and jump off my bed. I was sweating and when I looked toward my window, it was open. I sighed, running a hand through my now sweaty hair. I always had bad dreams when the window was open and I have no idea why. “Sorry, buddy,” I told Alex when he stood up.

Alex looked at my confused for a second, before giggling. “That was fun!” he gushed.

I laughed, still slightly shaken from my dream. Why was Nash in it, of all people? “Well I’m glad,” I told him. “But could you close my window? It's a bit cold in here.”

He tilted his head to the side and gave me a weird look. “But it's really hot outside..." Then he shrugged. “You’re weird.” He went over to the window and pushed it down, making a weird sound as he did.

I laughed. “Thanks a lot!” I said.

He grinned proudly, showing his muscles. “I’m strong ‘cause of all the football dad signed me up for!” he said, with pride. My stomach grumbled and he gave me a weird look, before his jaw dropped. “You just farted!”

He said it so accusingly, I had to laugh. “No I didn’t. I’m just hun-“

“Mommy! Ashy farted! And you said girls didn’t fart!” he cut me off, running out of my room and down the stairs.

* * * *


After a quick shower, I changed into my bright orange bathing suit with white stars. I just threw on a pair of denim shorts and a slightly over sized plain white t-shirt. I brushed my hair quickly then grabbed my white flip flops, cell phone and bag and went downstairs. “What time is it, mom?” I asked her, setting my things on the counter.

“Eleven thirty,” she answered, before looking at me suspiciously. “Why, do you have plans?”

I remembered the talk she gave me at the beginning of the summer about not having last-minute plans. I looked at her guiltily. “I’m going over Kat’s at noon,” I told her before quickly adding; “I meant to tell you! But with me being at work and you being at work, I forgot to even leave a note.”

“I’ll forgive you this time,” she said, giving me a disapproving look. “But next time, let me know. What if I was planning on you to babysit today?”

“It won't happen again,” I promised.

“Wait, does that mean I can have last-minute plans with you or dad lecturing me?” Aurora asked.

“No, because you’re only fifteen. Ashlyn’s seventeen,” mom said.

“I always knew she was your guys’ favorite,” she said, scrunching her nose.

I laughed. “Yeah, right,” I said.

“Jeremy and I love all four of you kids the same,” she said. “But next time one of you knocks something down in the refrigerator, clean it up.”

“I didn’t knock anything down,” Aurora said.

“Me neither,” I said.

“Yeah, well, the other night, somebody did. And when I opened it, the milk fell out and busted out all over the floor.” I suddenly remembered when Nash had pushed me into the fridge the other night. Oops.

The doorbell rang. “I’ll get it,” I said, hurrying out of the kitchen and opening the door. “Hey, Jas.”

She smiled politely at me, before turning to the black car sitting in my driveway. “You can leave now, Levi. I got to the door okay. Just don’t wreck my car or my dad will kill you right after I do!” she called to him.

Levi winked at her. “No promises, babe,” he said. “Oh, hey Ashlyn!”

I laughed. “Hi,” I said.

“Bye, bye, Levi,” Jas told him.

“Bye, love you!” he said, pulling out of the driveway.

“Love you too!” she said.

“You guys are seriously adorable,” I commented.

She just grinned at me proudly as she walked inside. "I like your house a lot," she said.

I smiled back. "Thanks," I said.

"When Levi said you lived not far from me, I didn't expect him to mean a ten minute walk," she said.

"Really?" I asked, surprised. I'd never seen her around before. "I've never seen you around here."

She nodded. "Yeah, I live at the end of the street," she said. "Levi's a little bit protective because he thinks it's way dangerous out here, so he insists that I either drive or get him to pick me up. It's exhausting, but cute."

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess it can have it's dangerous moments," I said, an image of Nash crossing my mind. "Anyway, you ready to go?" She nodded. "Alright, let me just get my stuff."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll finish updating later. I'm in a really shitty mood. Sorry. Comment, please?