If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-twenty four.

Justin’s Point of View

Ryan’s dad’s van skids forward and down into an area of grass. The SUV that just hit us speeds up and continues down the highway. I couldn’t talk in that moment. Not because I was hurt but because the fact that this was still going blew my mind. The fact that this person was actually here, in Canada, driving us off the road. My eyes slowly wander through the van as I inspect everyone. Chrissy’s hands were gripping my arm so tight I could swear that I would have bruises in the morning. Her beautiful eyes were already clouded with wet tears with the feeling of guilty waving over her face. I briefly remove her arms to wrap my own around her.

‘Don’t Chrissy.’ I plead using my hands to push her head into my chest, ‘don’t cry.’

‘I can’t take it anymore.’ She sobs as Ryan and Nichole slide out of the car.

Danielle and Garrett slowly go out of the door before pulling the seats up. I jump out of the van feeling a little sore but all in all I was fine. I extend my hand out to Chrissy to help her out of the van where everyone else was. She silently makes her way from the van after taking my hand.

‘Is everyone okay?’ Ryan asks wrapping his arms around Nichole.

‘Yeah, we’re fine.’ Garrett answers for Danielle and himself.

‘All good here.’ I nod trying to calm Chrissy down off to the side, ‘how’s the van?’

‘It’s a bit messed up but nothing that can’t be fixed.’ Ryan replies touching the dented van.

‘I will pay for the damages.’ I volunteer digging through my pockets for my phone, ‘it’s drivable, right?’

‘Let me see.’ He says climbing into the car.

We all watch anxiously as Ryan starts up the van and pulls it back onto the street. Several people sigh with relief as Ryan honks the door. Oncoming cars that witnessed the ordeal begin to get out of their cars.

‘Is everyone okay?’ a man asks, ‘I’ve called the police.’

‘We’re alright.’ I respond, ‘thanks.’

As we wait for the police to arrive to explain the situation I sit in the high grass pulling Chrissy down with me in the process.

‘What are you thinking?’ I wonder leaning my head on her shoulder, ‘you have that thinking face so what is it?’

‘Someone could’ve died tonight.’ She whispers nodding her head to our group of friends. ‘And it would’ve been all my fault.’

‘Do not go there.’ I sigh heavily, hating that Chrissy was blaming herself yet again.

‘Think about it – if I wasn’t in the car then there would be no reason to hurt anyone.’

‘Have you forgotten that I am on the “pissed off officer Carter” list just like you are?’ I laugh trying to ease the tension in the air. ‘You’re not in this alone.’

‘And you’re on the list because of me.’ Chrissy fights back pressing her fingers to her head.

‘I don’t know how many times you’re going to make me tell you that none of what’s happened recently is your fault. The guy is a creep and he’s always been a creep since he met your mom.’

‘Justin…’ Chrissy starts giving me a look that said, “you’re being incredibly rude and insensitive”

‘I’m sorry but it’s the truth. All I’m saying is that his problems go way back. Yeah, it sucks that he was bullied throughout high school that doesn’t give him the right to make someone else’s life a living hell. How is that fair for anyone? Even after your mom was so compassionate to him.’

Chrissy doesn’t say anything else for a few minutes. She tiredly rests her head on my shoulder as the police cars approach us. Several officers jog down towards us with their flashlights in their hands. I shield her eyes with my body as I wrap my arms around her tightly. The police officers talk and talk and talk. We were out on the highway for over an hour before we were finally allowed to leave.

‘I don’t know what I’ll tell my dad.’ Ryan says once we were back on the road to Stratford.

‘I’ll talk to him for you.’ I say taking my eyes off of Chrissy, ‘Are you okay?’

She sadly shakes her head no and it breaks me to pieces. I just needed to get Carter out of the way so we could celebrate her birthday as planned. She deserved it. Just one day that’s all about her.

‘Rest your eyes for a while. I’ll wake you once we get to my dad’s.’

Chrissy’s Point of View

Justin shakes me crashing into my dream that was once not about Carter. I mutter a goodnight to Ryan and Nichole before sliding out of the silver van.

‘Where’s Dani-…’ I rub my eyes as Justin helps me on the stairs.

‘They were dropped off first. Danielle said she’d call you first thing in the morning. Come on, let’s get you into the bed.’

Justin pulls back the sheets so I can lie down in the cold bed. With a kiss of my forehead Justin flicks the switch and heads out to sleep in Jaxon’s room right down the hall. I close my eyes easily falling back into a peaceful slumber. When I wake again it was ten in the morning. I grab my phone and head to the kitchen where Justin and Jeremy sat at the table.

‘There she is.’ Justin smiles warmly once I get into the kitchen. ‘How did you sleep?’

‘Pretty good. I guess I was tired by the time we made it back. Good morning Jeremy.’

‘Good morning Chrissy. Justin told me what happened.’

‘Yeah, we don’t know for sure but who else could be?’

‘I just hope the police catch this guy soon.’

‘He can’t run for long.’ Justin adds in quietly, ‘they’ll find him.’

‘When are you leaving to get your tattoo?’

‘I’m meeting the guys at noon. Have you figured out what you girls are doing for the day?’

‘Nichole’s taking us to a few of her favorite stores and we’re going to grab lunch somewhere.’

‘Don’t get lost.’ Justin laughs teasingly, ‘dad what are you doing today?’

‘Taking the kids out with Erin.’

‘How’s that going?’

‘It’s going alright. Ever since she moved out we haven’t been on the best of terms so its nice to actually spend time with the kids together. I know they’re growing tired of the whole back and forth thing.’

‘Yeah, I’ve kind of missed seeing Erin around. Where are you guys going?’

‘We’re taking them for ice cream and skating.’

‘That sounds fun.’ I chime, ‘haven’t skated in so long.’

‘Well I’ll have to take you before we leave then.’ Justin grins running a hand over his chin.

‘Alright, I’m going to get the two munchkins up and dressed so we can head out.’ Jeremy excuses himself from the table and goes up the stairs.

‘So do you want to eat something before you go?’ Justin asks standing from the table, ‘I can make you pancakes.’

‘Yes please.’ I beam suddenly really hungry, ‘that’d be great.’

‘Pancakes for Chrissy coming up.’ He announces grabbing the mix from the cabinet and a clean cooking pan.

I watch from table as Justin makes pancakes for the two of us. Justin softly sings from the stove flipping the pancakes over.

‘When are you going back to the studio?’

‘As soon as I get to LA I guess. I’m getting used to this downtime with you. The fans are getting restless.’

‘They’re going to come for me if I’m that much of a distraction.’ I tease drawing circles on the table with my finger. ‘Or you.’

‘Yeah they’re going to drag me from my bed pretty soon if I don’t release something. What about you? Are you auditioning any time soon?’

‘Chloe and Nikki have a few things lined up for me when I get home from vacation. I actually miss being called from my bed at four in the morning to film a scene.’

‘I definitely miss the tour bus life. Staying up all night. Sleeping all day. Junk food. Repeat.’ Justin laughs grabbing a plate from the dishwasher, ‘and you and Rocky coming to visit was always fun.’

‘Speaking of…’ I point as Rocky trots down the stairs. ‘I’ll take him out.’

Once I come back inside and pour Rocky a fresh tray of dog food the pancakes were waiting for me at the table.

‘Thank you.’ I smile grabbing the syrup from the center of the table.

‘Don’t mention it.’

‘Something smells good.’ Jeremy calls out with Jaxon in his arms and Jazzy right beside him.

‘I made pancakes. There’s some on the stove if you guys want them.’

‘Don’t mind if I do.’ Jeremy grabs a plate for the three of them and joins us at the table. ‘Eat fast kids. Your mom’s waiting.’

Jeremy and the kids devour their pancakes then head out the front door. I finished getting dressed after breakfast and Justin did the same.

‘Baby, they’re here.’ Justin calls from downstairs.

Ryan, Garrett, Danielle, and Nichole stood around in the living room. Justin was in the process of putting his feet into his shoes while he scrambled for his wallet.

‘So we’re taking Justin’s car and Nichole will drive mine.’ Ryan fills everyone in on the plan, ‘and we’ll just meet here afterwards.’

‘Sounds good to me.’ Nichole grabs the keys from Ryan and they let their fingers linger for a moment.

‘I will see you when I get back.’ Justin places both of his hands on my waist. ‘Don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything. At all. Even if you just want to talk.’

‘Okay.’

‘I meant it. I love you so much.’

‘I love you, Jay.’

‘I will never get tired of hearing you call me that.’

‘And I will never get tired of saying it.’

‘Don’t ever stop.’

‘Be careful.’

‘You too.’

Justin and I share a quick kiss before he follows the guys out of the house.

‘So, ladies…’ Danielle says a laugh, ‘let’s go.’

‘Let’s.’ Nichole nods opening the front door.

‘Bye Rock. Be a good boy.’ I take the spare key Justin gave me and lock the front door. ‘Where to first?’

‘I have the perfect boutique for you guys. You’re going to love it.’ Nichole informs us unlocking the doors to Ryan’s red Mustang.

I slide into the backseat while Danielle takes the passenger’s side. Nichole drove to a small store in the middle of town called Brenda’s Boutique. I follow the two of the inside ignoring the eerie feeling that swept the air. The store was pink, pink, and more pink. I adjust the strap of my purse walking over to the arrangement of dresses they had.

‘You’re right – I do love it.’ Danielle was already holding several items in her arms.

‘Told you. This place has such amazing clothes for such reasonable prices.’

‘We can’t find this in LA.’

‘Yeah, I know. The prices there are depressing.’ Danielle makes a face heading to the dressing room.

Nichole and I look around for a while longer before she takes a handful of clothes into the next dressing room. The cashier leaned against the counter with her sparkly iPhone in her palms. She cautiously waves with a nervous smile and I return the gesture.

‘Dani, hurry up. I want to try this stuff on today.’ I knock on the door of the dressing room.

‘Okay. Okay. I’m coming. Just two more dresses.’

‘Fine.’ I playfully groan leaning against the wall.

The small bell on the front door jingles signaling someone else coming into the store. I push myself forward to look at the glass door. Carter stood directly in front of me.

‘It’s been too long.’ He darkly laughs with his slimy smile.