If I Was Your Boyfriend

eighty-two.

‘Hello?’ I repeat. ‘I'm looking for Tom Thorton.’

The line is silent for a minute, or maybe a few seconds. I really don't know.

‘This is he.’ the deep voice on the other line clears their throat, ‘may I ask who's calling.’

‘I'm...-’ I know what I'm supposed to say but the words aren't coming out.

‘Hello.’ he says into the phone again, ‘are you still there?’

‘It's Chrissy... Your daughter.’

Another painful silence travels through the phone line.

‘Is this someone’s sick idea of a joke?’ he says harshly into the line.

‘No, it’s me. Really.’ I insist looking around the dark room.

‘How?’

‘I mistaken your brother, Donny as you.’ I reply, ‘I met him in a diner in Seal Beach. He gave me your number.’

‘Oh wow.’ He breathes into the phone. ‘So it really is you, huh?’

‘It’s me.’ I confirm. ‘I’m sorry for calling so late.’

‘No no no. It’s fine.’ He replies.

‘Okay.’

‘My daughter is Chrissy Thorton.’ He says, shocked. ‘I can’t believe this. How have you been? How’s your mother?’

‘She’s good. I’m good.’ I respond, ‘and you?’

‘I’m good too. This isn’t really the type of conversation that should be held on the phone. I’d love to see you in person again.’

‘I agree.’

‘I could come there. You could come here. We could meet in the middle. However you want to do it Chris.’

‘Maybe we could meet somewhere.’

I made a plan to meet with my father in Las Vegas, it’s neutral ground. I drink some water before heading back to the bedroom upstairs. Justin was still asleep, sprawled out in the bed. I lift his arm up and slid under it, laying my legs on top of his.

‘Justin.’ I say quietly moving closer to him.

‘Yeah?’ he murmurs, half asleep.

‘I’m going to Vegas.’

‘What?’ he slightly rolls over in the bed, his body facing mine. ‘Why?’

‘To see my dad. We’re just going to talk for a bit.’

‘When?’

‘Later on today.’

‘Today? Are you driving again?’

‘This afternoon. I’ll catch a flight there and then back tonight.’

‘I don’t know about this Chrissy.’ Justin’s voice is hesitant.

I couldn’t see him in the darkness but I know his eyebrows are probably knitted together right now.

‘Do you want me to go?’ he asks, running his cool fingers tips up and down my arm.

‘This is something I should really do alone, for right now.’

‘Alright.’ He sighs wrapping an arm around me; ‘you know I’m just a call away if you need me, right?’

‘I know.’ I retort before falling asleep in his protective arms.



The next time I woke up it was after ten in the morning. I could hear the faint sounds of the TV downstairs and the smell of nearly burnt bacon filled my nostrils. With a wipe of my eyes I head downstairs to find Justin in the kitchen.

‘Good morning.’ I say sitting down at the wooden table.

‘Good morning.’ Justin turns to look at me before facing his direction on the stove in front of him, ‘was that conversation we had last night a dream?’

‘I’m about to book the flight now.’ I reply unlocking my phone and going to the expedia app on my phone.

‘I guess not.’ He stiffs out a laugh, running a hand through his messy morning hair. ‘Are you sure you don’t need me to go with you?’

‘I’m sure. If anything happens, you’ll be the first I call.’

‘I better.’ He says getting a glass plate from the cabinets. ‘I’m getting some tattoos today since you’ll be gone.’ He informs me as he slides a plate of bacon on the table.

‘Oh really?’ I question picking a piece while he has his back turned, ‘of what?’

‘I don’t know yet.’

‘Just don’t go crazy, okay?’

‘Okay.’ He replies digging through the freezer for the box of Eggos, ‘have you found a flight yet?’

‘Yes, one that leaves after one and returns at nine tonight. Both only an hour in the air.’

‘Be careful, Chrissy.’ He sighs heavily as the toaster dings, ‘I know he’s your dad. But you haven’t seen him in years. I just don’t want anything to happen to you, you know?’

I look up from my phone to see Justin’s deep brown eyes focused on me. He stared at me as if it were the last time he’d get to. I could clearly see the concern written across his face. I stand to my feet sliding over into his arms. He wraps them around me in a tight embrace.

‘I love you.’ I say up to him.

‘I love you too baby.’ He replies kissing my forehead ever so gently. ‘Now eat before you try to run out the door.’

I do as I’m told and eat the breakfast Justin’s prepared for the two of us. After breakfast I go upstairs and get into the shower. I put on a simple pair of jeans and a loose fitting v-neck with Justin’s flannel wrapped around my waist. As I’m doing my hair and makeup Justin jumps into the shower.

‘You look so good.’ He pulls me by wrist closer to him. ‘I love the plaid shirt.’

‘It’s yours.’ I reply before he presses his lips to mine.

‘Are you ready to go? Do you need anything?’

‘I have everything I’ll need.’ I say grabbing my purse from the bed and sliding my feet into my sandal with the occupancy of the boot on my foot. ‘Remind me to go to the doctor to get the okay for this to be taken off already.’

‘It’s been barely a week.’ Justin laughs, ‘one more. It would’ve been off if you actually wore it like you were supposed to.’

‘Yeah yeah.’ I follow him out the front door, locking it behind me.

The ride to LAX went by faster than usual and we were there before I knew it. Justin walks me all the way through the crowded lobby entrance. I pick up my ticket at the front desk then walk to the terminal.

‘Text me when you land.’ He says pulling me into a hug.

‘I will.’ I promise kissing his cheek, ‘I’ll see you tonight.’

‘I love you.’ He calls out as I go through the terminal.

‘I love you.’ I wave following the other people.

From the distance I could see Justin making his way back to the exit out in the front of LAX. I find my seat with ease and slid in by the window. As I’m waiting for everyone else to get on the plane, I open the Twitter app to answer some questions.

Could you get Justin to follow me?

@chrissythorton: @justinbieber follow her, please (:

How’s rocky?!

@chrissythorton: he’s good thanks :)

why haven’t you been on instagram lately? Post some cute pictures of Justin

@chrissythorton: but they’re all so cute!

What do have planned today?

@chrissythorton: I’m seeing an old friend today

how’s the boot?

@chrissythorton: annoying as ever lol

favorite song at the moment?

@chrissythorton: a tie between dark horse and say something!

last thing you’ve watched?

@chrissythorton: a basketball game last night

favorite Disney movie?

@chrissythorton: definitely the little mermaid

have you had breakfast?

@chrissythorton: bacon and waffles!

What room of the house are you in right now?

@chrissythorton: I’m in my seat on the plane right now. Leaving LA for the day.

Do you have a PO box?

@chrissythorton: yes! Click the link in my bio and you’ll find it there.

@chrissythorton: alright guys, I’m about to take off now! Thanks for the questions and constant support! We’ll do this again soon. Love you all! See ya LA!

Barely an hour later we had landed in Vegas. My stomach dropped once I was escorted from the plane. I was actually doing this. I was meeting my dad later on today. We were going to talk. Face-to-face. I couldn’t believe this was happening.

Hey babe! I’ve landed. Miss you already – Chrissy.

Good to hear! I miss you too. Tonight, right? – Justin.

Right! I’ll be there after ten tonight. – Chrissy.

I’ll be there. Good luck Chris – Justin.

I love you. – Chrissy.

I love you. – Justin.

I put my phone away and walk through the lobby. I had a service car waiting for me to transport me for the few hours I would be here in Vegas.

Chrissy Thorton

A tall, older man held up the white sign with my name scribbled across it. A group of people waited by him looking around with cameras in hand.

‘There she is!’ some girl squeals excitedly.

‘Hello, I’m Chrissy.’ I shake the driver’s hand.

‘Nice to meet you ma’am. The car is right outside.’

‘I’ll take pictures first.’ I walk over and shake everyone’s hands, posing for pictures, and finally leaving.

‘How was the flight?’

‘The shortest in awhile.’ I laugh sliding into the backseat, ‘it’s so pretty here.’

‘You should see the city at night. Lots of color. How long are you in for?’

‘Just a few hours.’ I reply pulling my phone out to take a picture.

Landed!

I post the picture to Instagram and relax in the seat. The driver drops me off at the hotel I would be staying at to wait for a few hours. I thank the driver, Charles, who would be on stand by for whenever I called. The room was nice, higher up than the others. The hotel was overlooking the busy city of Las Vegas. Before I knew it, it was five in the afternoon. Time to come face to face with the man I once called my father.

‘I’m out front, miss Chrissy.’ Charles says into the phone.

‘I’ll be right down. Thank you.’ I grab my purse and walk out the door.

I give Charles the address and he starts driving to our destination. I take the time to pull out my phone and dial Justin. He answers on the second ring.

‘Hey baby.’

‘I’m nervous.’ I admit looking out the window, ‘I’m on my way to meet him now.’

‘Everything’s going to be fine, I promise.’

‘What if this goes terribly wrong? What if he doesn’t show up? What if he’s much different than on the phone? What if he-…’

‘Stop.’ Justin laughs cutting me off, ‘breathe for me baby.’

I let out a loud breath closing my eyes.

‘Good girl. Calm down before you have a panic attack or something. Whenever you feel yourself getting nervous, count to ten slowly. Breathe every two seconds. Okay?’

‘Every two seconds.’ I reply, ‘got it.’

‘Now, listen. You’re going sit down with your dad and have a nice long talk. Everything is going to be just fine. Stop worrying and don’t stress yourself out about this.’

‘Alright.’

‘I love you Chris.’

‘I love you.’

‘Call if you need me.’

With that the phone goes dead.

‘We’re here Miss. Thorton.’ Charles has came to a stop in front of a huge restaurant. ‘Call when you’re ready to be picked up. I’ll be in the neighborhood.’

‘Thank you.’ I say before sliding out of the car.

I breathe as Justin told me as I walk into the restaurant.

‘Name please.’ A woman at the front of the restaurant stops me.

‘Thorton.’

‘Right this way.’ She says with a smile walking to the sets of tables. ‘Here you are.’

Thankfully, I was the first to get here.

‘Do you need anything?’

‘Just a water, please.’

‘Right away.’

Ten long minutes pass me by before chair across from me is pulled out.