Status: Updates on Wednesdays!

Forget About It

From Now On We're Enemies

“What is she doing here?” Alex sneered once Zack led me into the familiar basement. Not much had changed about the house at all, except for different colored walls in the living room and hallway.

“It’s nice to see you too, Gaskarth.” I rolled my eyes and sat down on the old couch that at parties was more commonly known as the “makeout couch”.

“Come to see us play?” Rian grinned as he took his spot behind the drum kit, “Hey Alex, what song should we start with?”

“The Girl’s a Straight up Hustler.” Alex glared at me, “Seriously Zack, why would you bring her here?”

“Just because you’re not friends with her doesn’t mean the rest of us still aren’t.” Jack spoke up, “We’re friends again, right Cory?”

“Yeah Jack, sure.” I nodded my head, “Just as long as you don’t piss me off.”

“No, that’s Alex’s job anyway.” Zack chuckled and quickly dodged a drumstick that Alex threw at him.

“Hey, those are my new ones!” Rian protested as he stood up to retrieve them, “Alex you’re such a dick head sometimes.”

“Whatever.” Alex rolled his eyes, “Just start playing the song please.”

I sat there quietly for an hour while they practiced the same song over and over again. I felt extremely awkward sitting there, seeing as it looked like Alex was directing some of the harsher lines of the song at me.

“So what’d you think?” Zack asked as he sat down next to me once they all began packing up their instruments. I watched as Alex’s head shot up, awaiting my answer patiently. I tore my eyes away from Alex and looked at Zack with a soft smile.

“It was alright, I guess. I’m not too crazy about the lyrics though.” I shrugged.

“The lyrics are fine.” Alex said before he slammed his guitar down and stormed upstairs. We all sat there and stared at the door, wondering what just happened before I let out a deep sigh.

“Whatever his deal is, I’m sure it’s my fault. I’ll go talk to him.” I said quickly before I hurried up the stairs. Once I was on the main level, I poked my head into the kitchen and caught no sight of him. I sighed, knowing exactly where he would be. I climbed the next set of stairs, leading to the upstairs bedrooms, but I paused to stare at their wall of pictures on my way. I looked at the place where the picture of Daniel and I once was. It was now replaced with a picture of Alex smiling with his arms wrapped around a very sour looking Candace. I felt tears well up in my eyes as I stared at this new picture and remembered the old one before I continued up the stairs to Alex’s room.

I quietly opened the door as to not announce my arrival and felt a wave of nostalgia run over me as I walked inside to find the room empty. Not much had changed. The walls were still the dark blue color they once were and his bed was still as unmade as always. I was about to make my way over to the opened window when a yellow envelope caught my eye suddenly.

I walked over to the desk and inspected the envelope. It was worn and torn, but when I turned it over it was still sealed shut. It had Alex written in the same messy scrawl that was on the identical one sitting in my desk drawer at home. Alex had never opened his letter from Daniel either.

I probably would have stood there longer if I didn’t hear someone cursing from outside. Just like I had many times before, I climbed out the window and took a seat next to Alex. “What’s up your ass today?” I asked, somewhat jokingly as he looked over at me with only anger evident in his eyes.

“You’re never going to listen to me about leaving me alone, are you?” He sighed as he pulled his legs up and hugged them close to his body.

I shrugged and let out a sigh, “I can’t make any promises, especially since the boys are insisting that I remain friends with them.”

“Well I don’t want to be friends.” Alex said bluntly as he stared at me, “I’m serious Corinna.”

“I know, you keep telling me.” I groaned, “Alex, I’m really trying here.”

“I think you should go.” He whispered as he looked away from me, “Please.”

I was about to protest, we needed to work out whatever was between us. But when I heard him sniffling and saw him blinking back tears, I nodded my head and climbed back through the window. I didn’t even bother saying goodbye to the rest of the boys; I just left without another word. As I stepped out the front door and made the short walk back to my car, I took one look back at the roof, but Alex was already back inside.

-

“Fucking shit.” I grumbled as I walked up the pavement of Alex’s driveway a few hours later. I had forgotten my phone in the basement since I had never intended on leaving so hastily. I hoped that Alex could understand that was the only reason I was back at his house. I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell, waiting patiently for him to answer it.

“Corinna Weir!” Mrs. Gaskarth exclaimed when she opened the door. I guess I forgot that Alex’s parents would be home later. Great. “It is so lovely to see you!”

“Hey Mrs. Gaskarth,” I blushed, “It’s wonderful to see you again too.”

“Alex never even mentioned that you were in town! Did you just get in today? And dear, please call me Isobel. We’re practically a family you know.” She winked as she stepped aside, “Please do come in!”

“Thank you, Isobel. I actually came back home for senior year.” I nodded my head and stepped inside the house, “Actually, I just came to get my phone. I accidentally left it in the basement earlier when the guys were having band practice.”

“Oh yes, it’s right here. I found it earlier.” She smiled and handed it to me, “Would you like to stay for dinner? We have so much to catch up on.”

“Oh, no I don’t want to impose like that.” I shook my head as Alex walked in the room again.

“Yeah, Mom I’m sure Corinna already has dinner plans with her parents anyway.” He interjected as he shot me a look to get lost. I shrugged apologetically at him before I smiled weakly at Isobel.

“Nonsense!” She cried out, “She can eat with her parents any night of the week. Tonight, she’s eating with us. Come one you two, into the dining room!” She shooed us into the room where Mr. Gaskarth, I mean Peter, was already seated.

“Oh hello dear.” He smiled warmly, “It’s been a while.”

“It has.” I blushed as I took the seat next to him at the head of the table, “How’ve you been Peter?”

“Fairly well, I suppose.” I grinned, “And yourself?”

“About the same.” I nodded. The Gaskarth’s were my favorite set of parents, because they always cared about all of Alex and Daniel’s friends as if they were their own children.

“So Alex,” Isobel asked as she sat opposite Peter at the other head of the table. I looked over at Alex who was staring intently at the pot roast sitting in front of him on his plate, “Why haven’t you said anything about Corinna’s return?” He shrugged and took a large bite of his food so he wouldn’t have to answer. Isobel sighed and turned her attention back to me. “Darling, you’ve grown up so beautifully. It’s no wonder my boys have always been so taken with you.”

I heard Alex’s utensils clink to his plate as he stood up and left the room without another word. I looked over at Isobel and she smiled apologetically.

“He’s just been so stressed with the anniversary of Daniel’s death. And he also broke up with Candace again, hopefully for the last time.” She whispered the last part and winked at me, “He doesn’t mean anything by it.”

“Growing boys and their mood swings.” Peter grunted, “The boy is an idiot sometimes.”

“Oh Peter,” Isobel scowled with a twinkle of laughter shining in her eyes. You could tell they really loved each other. It was so nice to see them moving on with their lives so well after losing someone they loved so much.

“Thanks for the lovely dinner Isobel.” I smiled as I left the house.

“Yeah, we should definitely do this again soon! I miss having you around all the time, so does Peter and Alex.” She grinned as she pulled me into a hug that caught me a little off guard.

“Yeah, definitely.” I lied knowing that Alex would kill me if I did, “And I’ve missed all of you too.” I admitted as I looked down at the ground awkwardly, “See you later Isobel!”

“Goodbye Darling!” She waved as I got in my car. I looked up at the roof to see Alex sitting there staring at me before I drove off. I couldn’t help but to wonder how things got so messed up in the first place.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, Mibba lost my chapter in the crash earlier... so I'm re-posting. I'm not gonna bother re-editing it again like I usually do before I post because I already did once and I'm sorta annoyed. Anyway, I hope you guys like the chapter alright.

- Sommer x