‹ Prequel: Changing Your Stars

Second Heartbeat

Wedding Chaos

Chaos.

Absolute Chaos.

“Has anyone seen my garter belt?” A practically naked Cam hollered as she frantically dug in her bag.

“Right here!” Dani yelled holding it up in the air.

Today was the big day. In a few short hours Cam was going to be Mrs. Brain Haner Jr. The poor thing was wound tighter then a snare drum.

“Girls you have 10 minutes before pictures.” The photographer’s assistant announced poking her head into the room we were getting ready in.

“What the fuck?! Ten mintues?! I’ll never be ready!” Cam was so on the verge of having a meltdown the poor thing.

I snorted. “You’ll be fine. You’re the bride. What the fuck are they gonna do, start without you?”

Dani and I helped Cam get into her dress. It was a white strapless with beautiful black embroidering on it. Cam sucked it in and I zipped her up. She was so beautiful. Her hair was pulled up in an elegant bun with gems tucked here and there throughout it. They twinkled under the lights like the stars that were soon to be shining outside.

“Can you check to make sure they have everything set up right quick for me?” Cam asked me as Dani helped her fix her veil.

“Sure I’ll be right back.” I lifted the bottom of my black dress so I would step on and rip the chiffon that flowed down over my body like water. Everything was decorated in black and white, the colors of the wedding. Our dresses were simple, long, strapless oceans of chiffon. Our jewelry matched; chandelier black earrings with a matching necklace. Mine were a little harder to see since they had left my hair down. My naturally blonde hair was curled so that it bounced around my shoulders with every step I took. If it hadn’t taken forever to curl it all I might actually think about doing it myself.

I made my way down the winding staircase I would have to come back down again in an hour or so. Everywhere you looked was a beautiful white marble with sparkling black granite running through it. I walked towards the soft glow of candle light. Cam and Bri had opted for an evening wedding at a beautiful old mansion.

The smell of the ocean met me as I walked through the open French doors. Cam and Brian were exchanging their nuptials on a balcony that over looked the ocean. I walked around admiring the chairs covered in white silk with black bows. I walked through the trellis that was covered in a variety of white flowers with black ribbons.

I put my hands on the ledge of the balcony and looked over the ocean. It was going to be a perfect setting. A light breeze made my hair dance around my face. I was glad I hadn’t kept this place a secret. Yeah I was the one to suggest they get married here. It was the place I had once imagined myself getting married but that was a lifetime ago. I closed my eyes and allowed myself the pleasure of listening to the ocean. You didn’t realize how much you missed the ocean until you finally returned to it.

“Careful it would be hard to find a replacement this late in the game.”

I turned suddenly at the sound of Zacky’s voice, my hair covering my face in the process. I carefully moved it out of my hair silently cursing myself for choosing to wear sticky lip gloss instead of lipstick. “Do you mean cause I’d fall to my death or the fact that Cam would murder me for ruining her big day?”

Zacky laughed and my heart melted. This was the first time I had seen him since I had been back. I know what you’re thinking. What about the rehearsal dinner and all that? The pathetic truth is that he had missed the rehearsal due to work and I had faked an illness to get out of dinner. Maybe we had both been avoiding each other.

He was different and yet the same. He still had the cutest smile and most amazing green eyes. He had more tattoos now, although in the tux he was wearing I couldn’t see them. Well I could see the ‘A’ he had under his ear and of course he now had his septum pierced. His tux was tailored perfectly showing off that he had toned up some over the years.

“I was thinking more along the lines of what Syn would do because of Cam’s reaction.”

I smiled at him trying to act like my heart wasn’t beating out of my chest. I had thought after all these years I would have gotten over him. Guess they were right; you never totally got over your first love. “Speaking of which she’s probably freaking out since I’m not back.” I’m not even gonna lie, I turned and all but ran back to the room I had left Cam and Dani in.

Zacky’s POV

I was on my way back to the guys with an armful of beer. This shit was taking too fucking long. Weren’t the photographers done yet? I mean shit I had been through photo shoots from hell and they were still better than this.

Movement to my right caught my eye and I slowed. A small woman with long blonde curly hair stood just past where my best friend and his girl were about to get married in. I don’t know why I stopped but I did. Sitting the beers down, I watched as she stepped up to the railing and found myself moving closer so I could see her better.

The ocean breeze blew her hair out of her face and I froze. It was Kinzi all grown up. Gone was the shy girl with pink hair, replaced with the beautiful woman I was seeing. Snap the fuck out of it Vengeance you’ve got a wonderful girl at home. I should pick up my beers and head the fuck out, she was so lost in her thoughts she didn’t even know I was here. I smiled; at least some things didn’t change.

So did I leave? Fuck no. I’m too stupid for that. I ran my hand through my slicked back hair before speaking. “Careful it would be hard to find a replacement this late in the game.”

She turned suddenly causing her hair to cover her face in the process. I watched grinning as she tried to daintily move it out of her face. The girl I had known would have just pushed it out of her way most likely with some spitting involved. “Do you mean cause I’d fall to my death or the fact that Cam would murder me for ruining her big day?”

I laughed. At least her attitude was still the same. “I was thinking more along the lines of what Syn would do because of Cam’s reaction.”

She was quiet for a few heart beats as she looked me over. I didn’t mind cause I was doing the same. Her black dressed flowed around her in soft waves that seemed to mimic the way the golden strands of hair moved around her face.

She smiled at me but it didn’t reach her eyes, they were still guarded. “Speaking of which she’s probably freaking out since I’m not back.”

I watched as she turned and fled. Sighing I grabbed the beers and headed back to the room the guys and I were held up in. Bet Cam would be fucking pissed if she found out Syn was in there playing Call of Duty. I laughed to myself; poor bastard had no idea what he was in for.

Marriage was for suckers, plain and simple.