Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

as we say goodnight.

"Alright! Dinners ready!" I called out to our guests. I had prepared all the traditional Thanksgiving foods for us to enjoy. Most our guests were Canadian, so they didn't get time off in their schedule for the Canadian Thanksgiving. I was hoping they would all embrace an American tradition.

Kris was to my right and Anne on my left. Sid was next to her, followed by Max, Tyler, Marc, Vero, and Jordan at the end next to Kris.

"Well, before we start we have to around and say what we're thankful for this past year. I'll start." I met everyone's gaze before starting. "I'm thankful for getting such a wonderful job and meeting some great people. I'm also glad to have Anne here to visit."

I looked at Kris, "Uh... Well, I'm glad I have a new roommate and that my family is healthy."

We went around in a circle and finished our game. Marc mentioning as we dished food that he was thankful for a holiday okay with getting fat. We all shared a laugh and conversation flowed easily between us all.

Anne and Sid never joined the group’s topic. They whispered to each other and kept sneaking glances at each other. Sid even blushed at one of her comments. I smiled knowing what my friend was thankful for.

"So Greta," Max called from the end of the table, "You need to come out with us next time we hit the club. Every girl you've shoved me into has been awesome in bed!" I grabbed a chunk of turkey and flung it at him, hitting him directly in the face.

"We’ll see, clubs aren't my thing." I shrugged my shoulders and went back to my food.

Max continued to talk about the girls I shoved him into before Vero got up and slapped the back of his head. "What was that for?" Max looked truly confused as to why she would hit him.

"Shut up, you're ruining a beautiful dinner." She sat down and immediately received a fist bump from Jordan.

"Dude!" Max yelled at him. "What about bros before hoes?" Vero seemed to not take offense to his comment. She had been around these guys long enough to know when they were joking.

"Vero isn’t a hoe. If anyone here is a hoe, it’s you." Jordan fought back, earning a laugh from us all. Max just folded his arms and stuck his tongue out.

"I am not a hoe," he grumbled. I turned to Kris and he grabbed my hand with his under the table. We kept our eyes locked for a brief moment before turning back to the conversation.

I was thankful for a lot this year. I had finally gotten my dream job. I didn’t go looking for love, but it found me. I had a great support system of friends in Pittsburgh and in Minnesota. I was the happiest I had ever been; nothing was going to change that.

Max flung a chunk of mashed potatoes off his fork at Jordan. Jordan, not wanting to start anything, ignored him. Marc joined in and started to throw peas at Jordan as well. Kris and I just laughed, but Vero was not happy. She started to yell at them in French and Kris broke out laughing. I really need to learn French.

“What’s going on?” I leaned over to ask him.

“She’s threatening to rip their balls off if they throw anymore food.” I smiled and went back to my dinner.

***

"Thanks for coming you guys!" I held the door open for Marc and Vero.

"Thanks for having us." Vero kissed both my cheeks before stepping in the hall.

"Gave me an excuse to eat as much food as I wanted," Marc smiled and pulled Vero into his body, "Night, Gretie." I laughed at my new nickname.

"Night," I said as I shut the door. I turned around, only to be met by Sid. "You want to stay for awhile?"

"If that's alright," he said quietly. Kris and Anne must have left the room to change into something more comfortable.

"Of course. I'm just going to start the dish washer if you want to join me." Sid nodded and followed me into the kitchen. He immediately leaned against the counter as I starter to load the dishes. "I'm glad you and Anne are getting along."

Sid avoided my gaze as a blush formed onto his cheeks. "I really like her, Greta. She's just so down to earth and understands what I do for a living."

"She likes you too. I can see it in the way she acts." I closed the door on the dishwasher and pressed a few buttons to start it. "But just so you know, she's like a sister to me and if you hurt her I will never tape your sticks again and I might have to break some bones."

He laughed, "I understand. I'm glad we got that out of the way. And just so you know, I don't think you'd ever break Kris' heart." I looked at him confused. "I think he would be the one to do it. And if he ever does, I have your back."

I pulled Sid into a hug. I felt like I was going to cry, "Thank you. That means a lot."

He kept an arm wrapped around my shoulder and led me to the couch. "So, what movie are we watching tonight?"
♠ ♠ ♠
This is one of my favorite chapters I've written. Any suggestions? Tell me what you think.