Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

She makes my world fall down,

Kris set the pan down in the sink loudly, not caring that one of teammates was still sleeping in the room nearby. "Would you please just let it be? He needs some sleep." I rubbed my head in frustration.

"Sorry for not wanting him to interrupt our Valentine’s Day!" He continued setting plates and silverware loudly onto the table.

I through the dish towel in my hand on the counter, "Just go watch some TV! I'll take care of breakfast myself." I told him sternly. He grumbled before walking into the living room and turning the TV on as loud as he could without disturbing his neighbors. I let out an irritated sigh at the way Kris was acting.

Jordan walked into the kitchen a few minutes later. He looked like he had no more than two hours of sleep. I finished the first set of pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs, placing them in front of him. The TV shut off in the other room and I flinched as the bedroom door slammed.

Jordan looked up, "He's really upset he didn't get laid, huh?"

I sat down across from him with my own plate. “He just didn’t get enough sleep. I don’t think any of us did.’

“And because he didn’t get laid,” he joked back.

"Just eat your breakfast Jordan. I may need a ride from you to practice." I rested my elbows on the table and put my head in my hands.

We sat in silence before Kris came back out. He grabbed his coat and keys and walked out. He left with looking at either of us. "I didn't mean to cause so much trouble, Greta. I just didn't know who else to go to." Jordan kept his eyes down on his food.

I placed my hand on top of his, "It's alright. Kris will get over it. I told you I was here for. I'll always be here for you, or anyone else that needs me." This seemed to calm him. Jordan ate a forkful of eggs and smiled. The eggs were stuck in between his teeth and I had to laugh. No matter how bad the situation was, I could always count on Jordan to make me smile.

***

I got a ride from Jordan to practice and made my way to my office. I tried to avoid as many players as possible, but it was nearly impossible. Pascal Dupuis needed his helmet adjusted. Evgeni Malkin had a hole in his breezers he could stick another leg through. But worst of all was Sid. He had given away several sticks the last few days, he only had one that he could call his own.

I sat in the locker room while the team was on the ice. I meticulously tape each stick. It was a mindless job that only took me a few moments to get into the groove each day. Most of time was left for me to think.

He loves me.

Kris had finally admitted that he loved me and I had finally said it out loud. Saying it out loud had only confirmed my feelings. But why was it so easy for him to get up and leave this morning?

I had finished the second stick when Kris walked in. His head was down and his helmet was in his hand. He through his stick to his stall and looked up. Kris made eye contact with me before running a hand through his hair. I looked back down and focused on the stick I was taping. Kris sat down next to me and I just focused on my job.

"I'm sorry, Greta. I don't know what came over me."

I stopped working, "You can't keep acting like that. Heather cheated on Jordan. No one deserves that. I was just trying to be supportive." I sighed. “You told me you loved me and then you just walked out like nothing had happened. He needed me. I wasn’t going to kick him out.”

Kris stayed quiet. "I see that now. I don't want to fight." He ran a hand through his hair.

"I don't either. But it's going to happen. We can get through it." I grabbed his hands; "Together." Kris leaned forward and kissed me. It only lasted a few seconds, but it felt like lifetimes. He rested his forehead on mine, "I love you."

"I love you too.” It felt so good to say it out loud. We were in love and on top of the world. “Now go back to practice!" He stood up and I slapped his butt as he walked by. Kris turned around and winked. I shook my head and let out a chuckle.

I finished taping Sid's sticks and walked out to the bench to watch practice. Kris was out-skating everyone and many of his shots were going in. He had a passion during this practice that I hadn't seen in awhile. I never wanted him to lose it.
♠ ♠ ♠
They had a little fight, but everything's good now. What did you think?

EDIT: Whoops! I thought it was Wednesday! I guess it'll be a little longer to wait for the next one! :)