Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

Once upon a time meets happily ever after.

Summer came too early with the Penguins losing in the second round. We spent the first few weeks of the summer in Pittsburgh enjoying our time together. Kris and I spent a week in Minnesota before spending a week in Montreal. I came back after that, leaving Kris in Montreal. Coach Bylsma needed the equipment staff on hand to help set up for training camp and deal with some of the prospects.

I was sharpening skates in the hall one day. Some prospects were here and some guys who trying to find a spot on the roster. A few other players had shown up a few days early and wanted to start practicing. Sid was chatting with me when I heard my name called. "Greta?" It was a voice I hadn’t heard in a while.

"Spencer?" I knew it was him. He was a large defensive player and towered over everyone on and off the ice. I put down my equipment and went over to give him a hug. "What are you doing here?" I surprised to see him in Pittsburgh. The last I heard of him was that he was trying to play hockey in Europe.

"I got signed by the Pens this summer. Coach Lucia said something about you making it to the NHL." We both smiled. His eyes moved over to Sid.

"Oh Sid! This Spencer Thomas. He played hockey at the University of Minnesota. He was a sophomore when I was a freshman so he helped me with the ropes of the college hockey world. Spencer, this is Sidney Crosby." They shook hands but Sid's body was stiff. It was the way he acted when was around reporters rather than his team.

"Hey man, I hope to be playing with you this season."

"Likewise." I have never seen Sid act so cold to someone before, especially a possible teammate. He turned to me, "We should go soon."

I looked at the clock in the hall, "Oh yeah! Sorry Spencer, we have to go pick up Kris." I cleaned my equipment and put the few tools away.

"Kris?" He must not know many of the players yet.

"Letang. He's actually my fiancé." I showed him my left hand quick. "He's flying back in right about now, so we have to go get him. We'll have to catch up later."

We said our goodbyes. And Sid led me out to the car. He offered to drive us back to the rink after bringing Kris’ bags back home.

It was hard for me to find Kris when we walked into the airport. He was standing a few feet away talking on his phone. I assumed he was talking to his mom because he was speaking in French. I smiled as he hung up and spotted me.

I ran over to him and immediately wrapped my arms around his neck. I leaned in and kissed him. This was the longest we had ever been apart. I don't know if I would be able to do it again. When we finally broke, he placed his forehead on mine and spoke softly, "I missed you."

"I missed you too." We stood there in each others arms. Nothing could ruin this moment, except for one of his teammates.

"Let’s go love birds! Practice starts in an hour and a half!" We separated except for one hand apiece. Kris held my right hand and grabbed his luggage with the other. I let Kris have the front seat to have some room for his legs as Sid drove us back to the rink.

Practice was optional today. Most players were still wrapping up their summer, but the players in town came. It was nice to see all the familiar faces. Jordan welcomed me back by spraying a few cans of silly string all over my office.

I walked in front of Sid and Kris to get to the locker room. Jordan needed to know there would be hell to pay for his so called prank. I tried to think of a way to get him back, but all I could think about was what Sid was saying behind me, "There's something not right about him. I'm not so sure about this new guy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Should Sid worry about Spencer? Today starts the daily updates! We're almost done with this story! What did you think?