Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

Three wishes, just three wishes and I'm here to stay.

"You're pregnant?!" Jordan stood in front of me shocked.

"Can I please just stay here tonight?" I pleaded. It was getting cold outside and my t-shirt wasn’t keeping me warm. I was tired of talking; I just wanted to go to sleep.

"Of course," he opened his door the rest of the way and took the bag from my hand. He set it down in his spare bedroom and I sat on the couch. I kept my gaze at anything other than Jordan. His living room and been redecorated. There were no pictures of Heather around, only family and close friends.

”Tell me what happened." He sat down on the couch next to me.

"He thought I was cheating on him. Spencer kissed me after the game, but I told him I loved Kris and I could only ever be friends with him. Kris must have seen us and assumed the worst." I kept my head down and looked at only hands. The ring on my left hand seemed to have lost its glimmer.

Jordan pulled me into a hug and I started crying. The tears turned into sobs and I was grateful to have a friend like Jordan. It took me awhile to calm down. It was only a few months a go that our roles were reversed. I never would have guessed I would be running to Jordan when I had been hurt.

"What are you going to do?" I knew exactly what I was going to, but I didn't want to break Jordan’s heart with the news. Pittsburgh was home now, but I couldn’t stay in a place that would only remind me of heartbreak. I looked up at him, with tears still in my eyes. I stayed quiet which he took as a sign. "Don’t leave. I don't know what I’d do without you."

"I have to. I can't stay here any longer. I'll talk to Dan in the morning and hopeful everything will work out." I stayed quiet for a moment, "I haven't told Kris about the baby."

***

Jordan walked into practice the next morning with anger flaming through him. He was waiting for Kris to come in through the hall. He needed to talk to him.

Kris was not expecting Jordan to shove him against the wall when he passed by, "What the fuck?" Jordan kept a tight grip on Kris’ shoulders. He needed to listen to what he had to say.

"Greta showed up at my house crying last night. She’s heartbroken! Why would you do that to her?"

Kris shrugged Jordan’s hands off his shoulders. Jordan could hear the bitterness in his voice, "She cheated on me. I don't want to deal with that anymore."

"She didn't cheat on you! Just ask Spencer! He kissed her and she tried to get him off! You're making a huge mistake Kris."

Kris looked at Jordan. His eyes flashed with guilt before changing to anger. "The only mistake I made was not finding out earlier."

Sidney approached the two in the hallway, "Everything okay out here?" Jordan looked at Sidney, before storming to the locker room. Sid turned back to Kris. "Where’s Greta? I need some sticks taped by her."

"I don't know." Kris brushed past, leaving a confused captain in the hall.

***

I looked up from my desk to see Sidney in front of me. "What can I do for you, Sid?" I tried to wipe my tears before he could see them, but it was useless.

"What’s wrong Greta?" He came and kneeled next to me and placed his hand on my back in a comforting manner. I opened my mouth to answer, but Jordan walked in and cut me off.

"Coach wants to see you Greta." I nodded my head.

"I'll tape a few more sticks for you when I'm done." I began the journey to coach Bylsma’s office. Going through the locker room I kept my head held high and avoided Kris' gaze. "You wanted to see me?"

***

I sat near the bench working on Sid's sticks with practice going on before me. Coach Bylsma’s voice was still ringing through my head. I understand, family is important. Are you sure there’s nothing we can do to get you to stay? I looked up for a moment to take in the sight of the arena. This would be the last time I saw this wonderful view. I was very unlikely I would see any of these players again. Alright, I hope everything turns out okay. Family emergency’s can last months or days. If you ever want to work here after, just give us a call. Jordan would keep in touch and Sid and Anne were still going strong, but I may never see the others again.

I finished taping his sticks and said goodbye to a few staff members who knew about my leaving. Walking through the hall was heartbreaking. All the memories of my last year surrounded me. When I got through the doors, I knew my life was changing, but I was unsure if it was for the better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter. Do you think Kris will realize his mistake? Let me know!