Status: HIATUS AND MAJOR REWRITING

Rumored Nights

Chapter Thirty

The wheels on the bus had already rolled their way to the Colorado border and we were now getting off the bus at a beautiful canyon that looked a lot like a tourist spot.

“Ahhhh…” Zayn let out a sigh and stretched his arms to the sky. “It’s nice to be able to stretch. My bum hurts.”

“Well, you’ve fallen on it enough.” Niall scoffed sarcastically.

Zayn just rolled his eyes, knowing that Niall was right.

“Smell that fresh mountain air?” Louis asked, taking a deep breath. “We need to take in this enjoyable atmosphere!” Louis declared.

“Enjoyable atmosphere?” Niall questioned Louis’ word choice.

“What? Do you want me to put it in Niall terms? It’s as dandy as a whiz.” Louis said a little on the defensive side.

“Okay…” Niall looked at him. “…and that means?”

“It means that I think I’m going to go explore. Anyone want to come with?” Louis asked. And I knew that he really wanted to look around and not fool around so I declined his offer and decided to spend some much needed time with Liam.

“You and Liam staying here?” Louis asked.

“Yeah, you go have fun taking in the enjoyable atmosphere with Niall.” I smirked and so did he.

“Okay, we’ll be back in a little while.” He smiled.

As Louis and Niall walked away to go look at the dandy sights, Liam turned to me to say something. Unfortunately for him, Zayn and Harry walked up to us before he could get it out.

“What are you guys doing?” Zayn seemed very bored.

“Uh…” Liam began, but stopped.

“We were just hanging out.” I smiled.

“Oh cool, we should hang with you…” Harry began, but Zayn knew something was up and that Liam and I needed our space so he gave Harry a look telling him to stop. Harry understood.

“Or, actually, we were going to hang with Louis and Niall…or something. Have you seen them?” Harry tried to save himself.

“They went that way,” I pointed in the direction they had gone.

Zayn and Harry nodded and left quickly. Liam turned to me as soon as they left, like he had something to say and I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to hear it…I didn’t want to deal with my problems.

“Wow, this sure is beautiful…” I leaned on the wooden railing, watching the sun begin to fade in the distance.

I wondered why it was so calm and peaceful on the outside, but so crazy and confusing on the inside.

“Just like you,” Liam spoke up, paying no attention to the beauty of the setting sun, but just looking at me as he put his hand over mine.

I was taken aback by his comment and felt exposed and naked at that moment. But it was Liam so I didn’t need to feel embarrassed or scared around my Liam.

But that was the thing. He wasn’t ‘my’ Liam…at least not yet…if I even pick him…which I still had no idea if I would. WHY WAS THIS SO CONFUSING?!

“Uh…” I reacted.

“You don’t have to say anything back, Alex…” Liam told me, reading my mind.

“No, it’s just…I…thanks,” I somewhat mumbled.

“It’s true,” He told me as he squeezed my hand gently.

The only thing I could do was blush.

“I bet Louis thinks it’s true too…” Liam said quickly and softly, taking me off guard.

“What?!” I asked, sort of urgently, hoping desperately that I had heard him wrong.

“You heard me, Alex…” My heart sank a little bit when I recognized a bit of sadness in his voice.

“Liam, I….” I began to try and think of something to say to make things better.

“Alex…” He began and I knew there was more.

Image

“I wonder what Liam and Alex are up to.” Zayn asked Harry as he saw us from afar.

“I don’t know,” Harry shrugged. He was tired of trying to figure out the love triangle.

“Do you know what else I wonder?”

“Do I really want to know?” Harry gave him that look that said ‘why do I even hang out with you’.

“I wonder how far that drop it.” Zayn said, looking down past the railing.

“Hmm, I have no idea. How about I throw you and then you can find out?” Harry suggested.

“Ha. Ha.” Zayn rolled his eyes.

“You know what I wonder?” Harry looked at him.

“What other fun things you have to do in your bag?” Zayn laughed.

“Ha. Ha. No, I wonder if Lola is still calling your cell phone.” Harry smiled at the thought of Lola calling a cell phone that was somewhere in the woods of Kansas.

“She probably is. She never gives up on anything. She never forgets anything either; GOD!” Zayn complained.

“What are you going to do when we get back and she’s all up your bum again?”

“I have no idea. I wish I could just find someone else. A girl who really likes me for me and is nothing like Lola. And I want Lola to see us together and get jealous. I just basically want her to get lost.” Zayn smiled at the thought of rubbing a new love right in Lola’s sickeningly beautiful face.

“That would be classic. Can you just imagine how much she’d flip?” Harry asked, amused at the thought too.

“I know. She threw shoe at me when I left. I wonder what she’d throw at me if she saw me with a new girl.” Zayn laughed.

“Who knows, but it would probably be something big.” Harry laughed too.

“I wish I could find someone though…” Zayn sighed, feeling a little serious now.

“You know now. You just might…” Harry shrugged, trying to reassure him.

“Yeah…”

You never know…

Image

“Dude, I can’t believe you just, like, left her there with Liam. I mean…don’t you want her?” Niall asked Louis as they walked to find the end of the tourist area.

“Yeah, I want her, but…” Louis sighed, stuffing his hands in his pockets of his jacket.

“But…?”

“But…she loves Liam too. I told her I’d wait so that’s what I’m doing. I’m waiting…” Louis shrugged.

“Louis, come on. I mean, don’t get me wrong Liam is one of my best friends, but if you love Alex…Like REALLY love her…then I think you should show her in a big way so she’ll see how much you really do love her. I mean, I’m no expert in this stuff, but that makes the most sense. Show her. Show her before it’s too late.” Niall encouraged Louis.

“You make it sound so easy.” Louis said in a depressed voice.

“It is easy!” Niall laughed, slapping Louis on the back.

“Yeah right! Look, Niall…I appreciate your help, but I told her I’d wait so that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to wait until she figures out on her own.” Louis was being stubborn.

“Fine, but you should consider what I told you. That’s all I’m saying.” Niall put his final word in as they walked along.

Image

“Liam…” I cried softly, wanting to take everything I’d ever said to Louis back so I wouldn’t hurt Liam.

“No, Alex. Let me finish…” Liam begged as he still held my hand tight.

I couldn’t take it, I had to sit down. Liam and I sat on the ground and rested on one of the rails on the railing.

“I know you like Louis. I mean…I can just tell. The way you look at him sometimes. The way you talk to each other. And mostly, when you called out his name when you were sleeping and I woke you up.” Liam began.

“Liam, I…” I tried to say, but he stopped me.

“I’m not going to lie to you, Alex. It kind of hurt me when I heard you say his name. But it kind of explained things too. Like this is why we haven’t become an official couple yet. This is why we’ve kind of been keeping things a secret and why we haven’t been ready to become something yet.” Liam thought he had it all figured out. “Like you have a crush on Louis.”

“Um…” I didn’t know what to say. He wasn’t wrong…but he wasn’t right either. Should I just tell him everything now and get it over with? “Liam, I…”

“I just wanted to let you know that it’s okay if you’re attracted to him or something. Because I know that we have something real. We really love each other. I mean, we’ve even said it ourselves. It’s okay if you’re scared to become a couple, Alex. I get it and I love you.” Liam told me.

“I love you too.”

My heart sank, because I realized while he was talking that he didn’t know what was really going on between Louis and I and he thought he did. And I almost died when he told me that we had something real. That we were in love, real love. It made me sad, because Liam was so sure about it, so positive that we loved each other, when I was trying to decide if I loved him or if I loved Louis. It was so unfair, for everyone.

“Good. I just wanted you to know you don’t have to be scared to be together anymore. I’m here for you and I know we can make it.” He told me. My heart felt like it stopped bumping and had fallen into my stomach.

How could Liam be so amazing and so clueless all at once?

“I believe you,” I told him as he put his arm around me and pulled me closer as a tear fell from my eye. How could I be so heartless? Why couldn’t I tell him the truth?

Image

“Zayn, stop dancing.” Harry pleaded as he rolled his eyes. They were both getting a little bored of looking at the pretty outdoors. So, of course, Zayn began dancing like usual.

“Why? There’s nothing else to do!” Zayn protested, taking one of his ipod’s ear buds out of his ear.

“Well try to find something else to do before you hurt someone…or yourself! You know how the whole thing goes. Don’t get on any picnic tables.”

“Whatever,” Zayn smiled and started flapping his arms around like an idiot, dancing around ferociously just to get on Harry’s nerves. But little did Zayn know that Harry was totally right.

“Wow, look at me. I’m getting my groove on and I’m not hurting anyone! So HA! Whoo hooo, look at meeee…” Zayn rubbed it in Harry’s face.

“Yeah, you’re really getting down with your bad self…Zayn cut the crap.” Harry rolled his eyes.

Then Zayn began to shake his booty.

“Zayn…” Harry tried to stop him. “Zayn1 ZAYN STOP! WATCH OUT FOR THE-” It was too late. “Girl…”

Zayn and his dancing victim were in a pile in the dirt, all twisted and tangled.

“Owww.” The girl moaned.

“My butt!” Zayn also moaned.

Harry came over and helped them untangle each other, trying to not let anyone know that he knew Zayn.

“Told you,” Harry picked Zayn up off the ground and then helped the person he’d taken out with his shooty shaking.

“Are you alright?” Zayn asked as he rubbed his poor (but still adorable) butt.

“Haha, yeah I’m fine.” The victim smiled up at Zayn.

Zayn looked at the girl he’d just plowed over with his butt. She was shorter than he was. She had either dark brown or black hair, Zayn couldn’t really tell in the sunlight. But whatever color it was, Zayn thought it was beautiful. The way it flowed over her shoulders and only a few pieces curled at the ends. She had huge green eyes and beautiful lips. Zayn began to think Harry was right.

You never know…

“I’m so sorry,” Zayn apologized as he admired her, wondering if she was the one he’d been talking about earlier.

“Oh, t’s okay. Really, it’s fine. I liked your dancing.” She smiled and her smile answered everything. Yes, she was the girl Zayn needed to show Lola that he could survive without her.

“Eww, you did?” Harry shook his head.

“HEY!” Zayn pouted and the girl just giggled. Zayn really liked her laugh.

“Don’t worry, I liked it. You’re dancing kind of reminds me of my own. I’d like to see more of it.” She smiled.

“Please don’t encourage Zayn.” Harry begged.

“Wow, your friend is pretty negative.” She said so Harry could hear.

“Fine. Dance, dance all you want, but you already know what happens when Zayn boogies. It can result in serious injury.” Harry said to the mystery girl and she just laughed.

“I take it you’re Zayn?”

“Yeah and I take it you’re single?” Zayn asked in a corny way.

What a pick-up line.

Harry just cringed at his friend’s attempt.

“Haha, um, yeah I am.” She smiled. She liked the way Zayn was so cute and kind of dorky all at once.

Ahh, don’t we all love Zayn’s dorky side?

“Oh, Zayn…” Harry shook his head.

“What?”

“Was that your idea of a pick-up line?” Harry sighed.

“Uh…” Zayn blushed as he looked back at the girl.

“That’s okay. I thought it was pretty good.” She giggled.

They stood in silence for a little while.

“So, uh, Zayn…are you ever going to ask me what my name is?” She smiled.

“Oh! Yeah, I’m sorry! What’s your name?” He asked, feeling like an idiot. She just smiled in return.

“My name’s Bekah.”

“Bekah…that’s a great name,” Zayn smiled. Harry could tell that this was what Zayn had been waiting for so he decided to go join another conversation…

Image

After a while, everyone finally gathered around the bus, Bekah included. It was time to leave.

“Hey everyone, this is Bekah.” Zayn introduced us to his new friend and we all greeted her with smiles. “You should come with us!” Zayn practically begged her.

“I wish I could, but I’m with my cousins and my aunt and well…I don’t think they’d let me out of our little family road trip to go on a bus with a guy I just met.” She explained and everyone could hear the sadness in her charming voice.

“But we just met…I don’t want to have to say goodbye yet…” Zayn sighed.

“Don’t worry. Here, I’ll give you my cell number.” She pulled a pen out of her bag and wrote a number on Zayn’s palm. “And you give me yours,”

“Uh…I would, but…” Zayn began.

“He got a little angry and decided to chuck it in the woods.” Louis explained.

“Oh…Well, just find a way to call me. I know you will. And who knows…maybe we’ll see each other again.” She said promisingly.

Zayn couldn’t stand leaving her, but he knew it had to be done. So he leaned in and kissed her on the lips as if to tell her that they would definitely see each other again.

“You never know,” He smiled.

“Bye Zayn,” She smiled as she let go of his hand and walked back to her aunt.

“Come on, man.” Louis said as he sympathetically patted Zayn on the back.

We all got on the bus as Zayn left behind the perfect girl he’d just met, but held onto the hope that he could possibly see her again and soon.

We all sat the way we ha before and we were off once more, moving along and getting closer and closer to our next stop and also closer and closer to my decision.

At this point, I could definitely wait.

Meanwhile back at home, Lola surfed the net, looking at prices of plane tickets…Hmm, I wonder what this could mean…?

Wake me up when we get to Utah…….
♠ ♠ ♠
Introducing Zayn's mystery girl, Bekah!! Don't worry, we'll see her again soon. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter. The next chapter...there will be a MAJOR change. And I mean MAJOR. ;) Actually, you're going to find out who Alex chooses. So before I post the next chapter, leave your suggestions as to who you think she's going to pick. :) Please leave me some comments/subscribe and recommend if you haven't already. I really do appreciate it. :) CAN YOU BELIEVE WE'RE AT 30 CHAPTERS?! CRAZY! I love you guys! :) Please tell your friends about this story if you enjoy it!