The Alpha's Baby

Chapter 10

Roman was calling all day long. I knew Cody could handle his interrogation but I thought Dina was going to crack! I mean he is her Alpha so technically she wasn't supposed to lie to him. We had tried to calm her, I had known she would get a call eventually. She was nervous as hell! She was stuttering and you could almost tell she was lying. Her face turned sad at the end of the conversation. I had heard exactly what he had said. 'I'm terrified for her Dina. I need to make up for what I've done.'

Those were his exact words. I had also heard him tell Cody that if he found me, Roman wanted me to know that he love me and that he is sorry. I was actually a little moved. I mean I hate Roman but I love him once and maybe I always will. I don't know. It's just hard to let your feelings completely die for your mate. Well it is for me at least. I've never been love by anyone else before and I know he loved me at some point. He would tell me and show me how much he did before things turned dark.

We used to have a blast together, the day after we mated he took me on my first date. My mom had helped me get ready, I wore a solid white, halter rumper and a pair black sandals. My mom did my makeup for me. I wanted to look good for my mate. He showed up with a dozen red roses and he even bought me a necklace. It was a diamond studded heart pendent. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

When we got to his car, he opened the door for me and pulled my chair out for me at the restaurant. He was so sweet and gentle. He used to call me beautiful and he used to make me feel good about myself. Even before we mated he wasn't this bad of a person. I just don't know what happened to him. It really make me think what Dina said is true. Maybe he is possessed.

I still wear the necklace, everyday to be honest. I don't really know if its me or my wolf who hopes that one day everything will be right. At least that's what she keeps saying. I don't want to believe her but sometimes I can't help it. My wolf howls for him every night, she makes it hard to not want to be with him. I can't go back to that life though, not for my sake but for my baby's. I don't want to have to fight for my life and my unborn child's.

If he really loved me he would just give up, but at the same time, I have a conscience. I don't want him to worry about me. He has done some fucked up shit to me but I wouldn't be any better if I made him suffer. I'm not going to continue to live my life hating him, my mother always said that if you hate the father of your children, they will come out looking just like him. I know this is a bad idea, but I think I'm going to call him. I'll have to block my number so he doesn't have it. I just hope he doesn't make this hard.

"Hello?" Roman croaked into the phone. I couldn't open my mouth, I didn't know what to say. My breathing had increased and I could feel my heart beating in my throat. "Denae?!" He asked getting excited. "Denae is that you?" I was terrified to say anything so I just hung up. What the hell was I thinking? Was I just going to call and be like, "Hey Roman, I wasn't really kidnapped, I'm just really good at running away. I'm not coming back, but I don't want you to worry."? I'm such an idiot.

My wolf started to howl after a few minutes of sitting there thinking about Roman. I can't handle this tonight. I need someone here with me. If I have to deal with her howling I swear I will kill myself. I got up off my bed and headed downstairs. I didn't care who was down there, as long as the would keep my mind occupied. It was already late and everyone appeared to be in bed. I crept down the stairs and saw that the only light on was in the kitchen. Seeing the kitchen instantly made my stomach growl. It had only been about four hours since I had last eaten.

I walked into the kitchen to see Adam standing in front of the fridge shirtless. His back was sexy and toned and his muscles flexed as he reached to the back of the fridge for something. He was wearing a pair of basketball shorts and nothing else. He heard me walk in and he turned around, he had an amazing set of abs and his chest was smooth. God Adam was really hot.

'No!' My wolf screamed.

'Will you calm down! I'm just looking!" I spit at her. I didn't want a relationship with Adam, or anyone for the matter. Iwas focused on me and my baby. Even though Roman and I aren't together, I still don't feel its right to be with anyone. He's still my mate and its not like I can erase the scar on my shoulder from where he marked me. No one wants a wolf who has already been marked, she's already been claimed, it was just like stealing.

Adam stood there with a moth full of food and a sandwich in his hand. He smiled shyly. "You caught me being a pig." He said after he swallowed the bite.

"Well I guess I'm a pig too, I was coming to do the same thing." I said with a laugh.

"No," He said. "You're just pregnant. You're supposed to eat a lot." He paused for a minute. "Though you do seem to eat a lot more than the pregnant women I've seen." He joked. I slapped him across the arm and we both laughed. "Would you like me to make you one?" He asked me. I looked at the sandwich, it looked so good. It was piled with ham, lettuce, pickles, and cheese. I licked my lips. Adam laughed and went to the fridge once more. What would you like on it?"

"What's in there?" I asked. He listed off everything that was in the fridge. "Are you ready?" I asked. I had a pretty big list of things I wanted on one sandwich. He nodded at me and smiled. "Ham, turkey, bacon, pickles, lettuce, cheese, broccoli, olives, green and black, and jalapeƱo's." He gave me a disgusted look.

"Yea, you re definitely pregnant." He said as he got out the things for my sandwich.

"No," I corrected. "I just like trying new things." He laughed at my reply. "I'm serious, eating the same thing gets boring, if you make it the same way every time it eventually starts to taste like cardboard, but if you mix it up a little you never have to worry about getting tired of the taste."

"That is true." He said nodding. He made my sandwich and we chatted while I ate.

"What are you doing up this late?" He asked taking a sip of orange juice. I felt comfortable with Adam. He was already as close to me as Dina and Cody. He was just so easy and fun to be around. He's going to make his mate the happiest woman ever.

"Ugghh," I groaned. "I needed a distraction." He gave me a curious look.

"From?" He asked.

"My wolf, she's really emotional and she howls for Roman every night. Its killing me." I told him shaking my head. He gave me a sympathetic look and came and sat next to me at the bar.

"My wolf howls for my mate every night too," He said trying to be cheerful. "So we have something in common."

"Yea but you want your mate." I said looking into his eyes. "Its different when you want your mate but your mate doesn't want you." He frowned a little. I know he gets it.

"Has he always been like that?" He asked me.

"Unfortunately, no." I said looking away from him. "He used to be a good guy, at first he seemed like the perfect mate. He was always there for me, he would protect me from everything, even myself. My life was perfect once, but you know perfect lives never last. One day he just woke up and he was the devil. Well that's what I say anyway. He never bothered to explain why he had changed, he just did." I paused for a few minutes. "Its strange though. Sometimes he would be the sweetest person in the world but when he looked at me, his eyes were full of hate. My mate hates me and I don't even know why." I tried to laugh to keep myself from crying.

I had known for a long time that Roman hated me, he had shown it day in and day out. "I'm sorry, Denae." Adam whispered. "I wish your life could have been different. I wish you didn't have to go through all the things you did, but you should be lucky that you did." I looked at him astonished.

"How is this lucky?" I asked him.

"You're a stronger person Denae." He said. "You are the strongest person I know. Any other woman would be too afraid to leave but you, you left for the sake of your child. You can still have a happy life Denae." A silent tear rolled down my face.

"I'll be alone, Adam. While everyone is happy and madly in love with my mate, I'll be alone. I'll a single teen mom, what will I tell my baby when he or she asks about their father?" I said sadly. At first I thought being alone wasn't that bad but for the past few days i have felt alone. I know it's the fact that my wolf is longing for my mate but I honestly think I may be a little too. I just miss the feeling of being in his arms at night.

That's the hardest part of being without him. Even though he was terrible to me, he still found pleasure in holding me. At first I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him but he would pull me closer to him and my body would just relax. He never hurt me when he held me like that. It's just really hard to sleep without him. I know it sounds like I'm going back on everything but I don't know what else to do. I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life but I don't want to be afraid of my mate either.

Adam and I sat in silence for a long while. My eyes were burning from exhaustion. I looked over at Adam, he looked half asleep also. I didn't mean to keep him up so late, it was well after two in the morning. "Adam you can go to bed." I said smiling at him. "You don't have to stay with me all night." He smiled at me but didn't move.

"What would help you sleep better?" He asked me. I was a little afraid to answer. The only thing that would help me sleep is not being alone.

"I don't think you could help me there. It would be a little much and a little awkward." I replied after a few minutes of thinking.

"I'll do anything if you just get some sleep." He said. "It's not healthy for the baby." He was always worried about the baby. Every day he questioned me about taking my prenatal's, he made sure I saw Doc on a daily basis, and he made sure I wasn't skipping any meals and that I was eating enough. Adam is really like that best friend that everybody wants. I think every girl needs an Adam in their life.

I really know how to say it. Every way I thought to say it, sounded sexual. I didn't want it to sound like I wanted him to sleep with me, well I did, but not like that. I just want to be held. Is that so wrong? I'm pregnant, lonely, and emotional. Don't I deserve it a little? I took a deep breath. I was going to say it in the only way I found appropriate.

"Adam," I hesitated. "This is going to sound weird, and that isn't my intention, but will you stay with me tonight?" I shifted in my seat. "I don't want you to think its anything sexual or anything, I just need someone right now." Adam smiled at me and grabbed my hand.

"Sure, Denae. I know you don't look at me like that and neither do I." he said honestly. "I'll be your teddy bear for tonight." He said teasing. I smiled shyly at him and we headed upstairs.