The Alpha's Baby

Chapter 15

I've come to realize that it’s harder to be away from Roman than any bad day we ever had together. I know that I sound naive but he's the father of my child for Christ sake. How can I not want to be with him? He's my mate, my one true love. I can’t say he's perfect or anywhere close to it, but I know somewhere inside the man I knew still lives.

As I progress in my pregnancy, I get more and lonelier as each day passes. Secretly, a part of me wants to go back home. I know I'd be signing my own death certificate but I would just like to see his face one more time. He hasn’t seen me in a while; maybe he's changed since I've been gone.

Cody doesn’t seem to think so. He says that when he speaks with him, he sounds so hateful. I know he's losing trust in Cody. He's supposed to be Roman's right hand man, the number one person he can trust. Instead he's the lying to him and hurting him.

I know it hurts Roman, my wolf tells me so every day. I've asked her numerous times if she knows what’s wrong with me and she completely ignores my questioning. I know she's ignoring me because I can feel her tense up in my head each time. She's supposed to be helping me through this. I feel so alone.

Most women would just reject their mate. I don’t know if what I'm doing is considered rejecting because if I want to be with him; I want us to have a family. That’s what I've always wanted. I always dreamed of having that perfect family with my mate. I want to wake up in the mornings wrapped in his arms. I want to raise my child with him; I want my baby to grow up knowing that both of parents love them more than anything.

"Hey doc!" I mused when I walked into the basement. Today is my two month checkup, for werewolves, this is when we find out what we're having. I'm not really sure what I want but Roman has always wanted a little girl. I smiled at the thought of who our baby may look like. My mom has strong genes, I look almost exactly like her but Roman looks like his mom also.

"Hey Denae!" She said cheerfully. "Ready to see what’s baking in the oven?" She asked as she prepared the sonogram machine. I nodded my head and hopped on the bed covered by sterile white sheets. She lifted my shirt and squirted this thick, cold substance on my stomach. She had me look at the screen as she moved the stick across my belly.

"There's your baby's head," She said pointing to the large mass on the screen. "Oh, there’s the hand!" She gasped. I saw five little fingers on the screen and my heart jerked. My baby, I thought to myself. I felt hot tears run down my face. "And we're having a girl!" She said excitedly. I felt the air leave my lungs.

I'm having a daughter, a beautiful little girl. Words can’t explain how happy I am, I just wish Roman were here to share my excitement. He would be so happy having a daughter to rise. I wrapped things up with doc and rushed off to find Adam. I'll have to call Sashay and give her the news; she's off at some science convention.

"Guess what!" I sang as I walked into Adam's room and flopped down on his bed. He jumped up from the paperwork he has been looking over and jumped on the bed.

"Is it a niece or a nephew? He asked as he strung his fingers through my hair. To most, this little action would make us seem like lovers but Adam is different. He isn’t the man whore Roman was; he's just the perfect best friend for any guy or girl. He's dependable, responsible, sweet, and he knows how to help people.

"Just guess!" I demanded with a laugh. He chuckled and tapped his chin.

"It’s a boy!" He said surely. I already know he's imagining those football games and camping trips. I rolled my eyes at him and made a buzzing noise.

"Wrong!" I shouted. "I hope you’re ready for tea parties and playing dress up, Adam." I teased. His mouth dropped open and his hands shot out to rub my stomach.

"It’s a girl." He whispered to himself. "It’s a girl!" He said a little louder. He jumped off of the bed and grabbed me up into a hug. "Please let me be her Godfather," He begged. "I'll do move mountains for her if I have to. I just want to be a part of her life." What he said really touched me. I was going to ask him and Cody if they would be her godparents. If Sashay were old enough I'd ask her to be her godmother so for now it’s just Dina.

"Of course Adam," I said. "I want you and Cody to be in her life. You've both helped me so much; I can’t imagine raising my daughter without you. She's going to need you some day, if anything were to happen to me, I want you to raise her. I want her to grow up on this farm, with this pack. Just tell her about me," I said putting my head down.

I just want her to grow up in a healthy environment around people who will love her always. I don’t want her in a pack like the one I came from. I mean my pack was amazing but when you see someone in dire need of help, you shouldn’t ignore them just because their mate is the Alpha. You helped me when you didn’t have to and you’ve risked everything for me."

"Denae, nothing is going to happen to you." He whispered. "You’re not going to need me to raise your child because you’re going to be here to do it yourself. You’re going to be here to teach her how to walk, you’re going to be here when she says her first words, and you’re going to be here when she has her own children." He grabbed my face and turned it to look at him.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you," He said. The look on his face said that what I had said hurt him. "If it’s Roman you’re worried about, I'll die before I ever let him touch you. You will have that happy family you always wanted, it may not be with your mate but you'll always have me, Cody, and Dina." He smiled brightly. "She can even call me daddy." He added.

I know he's serious but I know he's only saying it so my daughter will have a father figure, someone to look up to and depend on. I just want her to have a better life than me; I want her to grow up and find her mate and have a happy, perfect family. I don’t want her to go through the pain and torment her father put me through.

"You are amazing, Adam." I said looking into his eyes. "I don’t think I'll ever meet another person with a heart like yours." I pulled him into a tight hug. He wrapped his arms around my waist and put his chin on my head. When he did this, it reminded me of Roman. Back in the day, he would walk up and do the same thing only when he did it my entire body would become engulfed in flames.

He smiled down at me. "Come on," he said nodding towards the door. "Dina and Cody should be here soon." Dina and Cody are coming to star for two weeks. This is the first time they've been here in a while. Cody said that he had the feeling someone has been watching him so they've held off on coming.

We made it to the bottom of the stairs just as they walked in the door. They are talking rapidly about something. "Who do you think he was?" Dina asked. Worry was clear in her voice.

"I don’t know!" He shouted. "I couldn’t see in his windows, they were too dark!" Dina flinched at his tone.

"What’s going on?" Adam asked before I had the chance to.

"Some asshole followed us all the way here." Dina said. "We tried to lose him but he was driving a sports car and he caught up with us each time." She turned and looked at Cody and smacked him roughly across the chest. "I told you we should have brought my car!"

"Dina, calm down." I heard a familiar deep voice say. My heart started to pound. It can’t be him, he hates me, he said so himself. Before I knew, Marty ducked his head and walked in the door. Marty is a giant standing at 6'7. Dina is an ant compared to Marty. Up until our little fall out, he was a big teddy bear.

He looks exactly the same as I remember, short black hair, blue eyes, and cheek bones a male model would shoot his foot off for, female too. I stood there staring at him in disbelief. He can’t really be here. Dina would have told me on the phone before they got here.

"Don’t just stand there," He said smiling cheerfully. "Give me a hug!" I hesitantly walked over to him and I also took the time to poke him with my finger to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. He laughed at me and pulled my into a gentle bear hug.

"I don’t get it." I admitted when he put me down. He looked down at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"Get what?" He asked. He acts as if everything that happened between us is nonexistent. He's acting like he didn’t say all of those mean and hurtful things, I know I said some hurtful thing to them but mine was out of force. Was his just out of anger?

"I thought you weren’t ever speaking to me again." I said. My voice coming out barely a whisper. "I thought you hated me, I thought I was the worst friend ever." I just stared up at him as his face went sad.

"Nae, I just didn’t like the thought of losing you to him," He said. "Even though I knew he was forcing you to say those things, you disappointed me because you let him break you. The way you used to talk, it seemed as if you wouldn’t let any relationship get between your friendships but you did."

"Marty, he's my mate!" I exclaimed. "What was I supposed to do? Do you know how many times he threatened to kill me? Do you know how many times he beat me until I couldn’t move? I was fucking scared! You can’t expect me to be all "Fuck you Roman", if you’re scared for I didn’t even know if I would wake up the next day!"

By the time I had finished yelling, I was crying. Marty pulled me into his arms. "I know Denae, and I'm sorry." He whispered softly. "I shouldn’t have acted the way I did. I don’t know what I expected you to do. I came here to apologize for everything and get my best friend back." He pulled away and looked at me. "Wow, you’re getting big." He stated with wide eyes.

"I found out what I'm having this morning." I said. I know everyone has been waiting for this moment since I got here. They've already made plans as to how they’re going to spoil my child rotten. Everyone’s faces lit up as they waited for me to answer.

"It’s a girl!" Adam shouted. I punched him in the ribs for spoiling the surprise.

"Damn it Adam!" I shouted. He rubbed the spot I hit him in and groaned.

"I'm sorry," He said innocently. "I just couldn’t take the suspense." I smacked him again.

"There was no suspense; you didn’t even give me time to open my mouth." I laughed. I can’t really be mad at him; I'm just as excited as everyone else. Everyone said congratulations and smothered me in hugs. It feels good to have people who love you. Even after everything Marty and I have been through, I'm happy he's here.

"Now tell me about the person following you," I demanded. "Was it Roman?" I asked as fear took over me. No one said anything. I knew he would find me eventually. I'm surprised it took him this long to track me down.

"I don’t think its Roman," Adam said. "If it were him, he would have knocked down our door by now. He wouldn’t just keep driving like he hasn’t seen anything." I sighed. He's right, if Roman were following them, we'd all know it by now.

(Roman's P.O.V.)

"Hello?" I said quickly answering Garrett's call. He's called me every day since I asked him to watch Cody for me. He says he hasn’t seen anything unusual.

"He and Denae's friends, Dina and that Marty guy, are in Idaho." He said. What the fuck are they all doing together? I mean yea we all used to hang out back in the day but none of us have been together at the same time in over a year. I sort of fucked that all up when I told Denae to ditch them.

"Did you see Denae?" I asked urgently. He sighed.

"No," He said sadly. "I didn’t see her anywhere. They stopped off at a big farm house out in the middle of nowhere." He's probably just visiting family. "Do you want me to stay here and keep tabs on him or come back and continue the search?"

"Just come back," I said gruffly. "He's probably visiting his family or some old friends."

"You don’t think it’s odd?" He asked seriously. "Cody and her friends out in the middle of nowhere together seems pretty odd to me." I growled into the phone.

"Even if she is there I'm not going to drag her back." I said sternly.

"But she's your mate." He said. "She's our Luna."

"I know who the fuck she is, Garrett!" I shouted. "Everyone knows what I was doing to her. I was fucking killing her in front of our entire pack! I'm not going to hurt her again! Until I get my shit figured out, she is better off where ever she is! Now do what I fucking tell you before I come find you and rip you fucking ass to pieces!" The line went dead a few seconds later.

I called Cody's phone. The first time it rang until it went to voicemail. The second time he answered on the first ring. "What the fuck are you doing?" I growled at him.

"I'm back home visiting my grandparents and checking out leads." He said hesitantly. "She called me Roman." She called him? Why did she call him and not me? She remembers my number just as much as she remembers his! Is she afraid to talk to me? Is she scared of what I may do or say to her?

"What did she say?" I growled at him. "Tell me right now!" I demanded.

"She said that she's ok and for everyone to stop looking for her because we'll never find her where she is." He whispered lowly. "She says she's happy and she doesn’t want you to find her. She told me to tell you that she loves you, but she can’t live with the monster you are inside and she can’t be with you." I had tears in my eyes.

"She said that?" I asked with a broken voice. "Did you tell her that I love her? Did you tell her that I'm sorry?" I asked. He sighed.

"Roman I told her everything you told me to tell her if I spoke to her," He said. "She said she wanted to believe you but you proved to her too many times that "I'm sorry" means nothing if it’s coming out of your mouth. She said that there were too many times that you've abused her then apologized and just as she would start to believe you, you would do it again."

"If she calls you again please tell her to call and talk to me." I basically begged. "If she would just talk to me, she would know I'm trying to change."

"I'll tell her," he said. "I'm sorry bro." I hung up the phone before he could make me feel even guiltier than I already do. I regret every bit of wrong I did to her. I regret not keeping my fucking dick to myself. I fucked the wrong bitch and she's making my life hell.

It seems that Louhi Statton has vanished into thin air. They can’t find that spell casting slut anywhere. I'm going to fucking find her and I'm going to kill her slowly. That is a promise.

(Denae's P.O.V.)

"He does sound like he's changed." I whispered after Roman had hung up on Cody. Marty made a huffing noise.

"Please," He said sarcastically. "People like Roman don’t change."

"He wasn’t always like this and you know it, Marty." Dina said jumping in. "Something’s not right about him now but you know he would have moved mountains for Denae." Marty rolled his eyes at Dina.

"Then what’s wrong with him?" He asked as if he were trying to make a point. Nobody had an answer and it brought a satisfied look to Marty's face.

"Nae, tell them what you told me." Dina said after a few minutes. I gave her a confused look. She rolled her eyes at me. "Tell them how he was acting before he left for Nebraska." I shook my head at her.

"Dina, I don’t think it matters." I said honestly.

"How do you know?" She asked with frustration. "Somebody has to know something." Adam gave me a confused look.

"Tell me." He said demandingly. I sighed and told them about Roman and his angry, almost satanic eyes and about how his emotions basically would change in a second’s time. I really didn’t want to bring up the sex part but Dina threatened to beat it out of me.

"You know there’s a myth similar to what you just told us," Adam said quietly. "If it's true, we can't ever let Roman find you. The last man couldn’t fight it and I doubt he can either." I sighed sadly.

"What if he can?" I asked looking sown at my hands. "What if he's fighting it right now, for me?" He gave me a sad look.

"Denae, I don’t think Roman is strong enough to fight something as powerful as a demon. Whoever put the curse on him made it pretty strong if he lost control as quickly as he did."

"What do you mean, "who ever put it on him"?" I asked curiously. "Only witches can put curses on people." I pointed out. Cody shifted uneasily and his facial expression went from something like confusion to realization.

"What do you know, Cody?" Adam asked with a hard voice. Cody shifted uneasily again and looked at me.

"Do you guys remember that weird chick, Louhi Statton?" He asked hesitantly. Everyone but Adam nodded. "We all know she's a witch, right?" We all nodded again.

"She was sleeping with Roman." I gasped and closed my eyes. "It was before you though, Denae, I promise. They dated for a couple of months and then he dumped her. I remember him telling me about it, he said that she left him with a promise." I opened my eyes and looked at him.

I didn’t even bother trying to hide the tears in my eyes. "What was the promise?" I asked with a cracking voice. I can’t believe this is all Roman's fault. Everything I've been through, every pain I've felt, all the hurt he cause me is all because he couldn’t keep his dick to himself.

"She said she would make his and his mates life hell." He whispered lowly. "She was really upset but I don’t know if she had the guts to really do it." I laughed sarcastically and wiped my face.

"Obviously she had the guts," I said as more tears spilled out. "She has succeeded in making my life hell." I felt weak after hearing all of this. Adam grabbed me and pulled me against his chest.

"It’s ok." He said soothingly. I shook my head at him.

"It’s not ok," I cried. "My baby will never have a father because of the stupid shit he did before he mated me. He ruined my life." Cody looks extremely guilty, I know he really didn’t want to tell me what he did, and he only did it because Adam told him to.

"He didn’t know, Denae." Cody whispered.

"That’s because he was too busy sticking his dick in her to try and find out!" I screamed as I pulled myself away from Adam and climbed out of my bed. I walked out of my room, luckily no one followed me. I went out to visit Patches. She's the only thing with a heartbeat that I know won’t hurt me.

"Hey baby." I said when I walked into her stall. She walked up and laid her head on my shoulder. I sat down on the ground and she followed me. I've never seen a horse willingly lay down unless they’re sleeping. I swear Patches is better than any dog I've ever had.

I grabbed her brush and started to groom her. When I finished, I still didn’t want to go back to the house. I don’t want to face these problems, I wish they would just disappear but that would be too easy. I wonder how Roman feels now; I wonder if he even knows what’s going on inside his body.

He probably doesn’t care. He never really cared about much of anything but himself; I realized that before I even found out he was my mate. He was always a selfish fucker, if it didn’t pertain to him, he didn’t care. None of this matter anymore, I don’t have to live with his selfish and abusive ways anymore.

"Are you ok?" Adam asked as he walked into the stall. I shrugged my shoulders and continued to pet Patches. "Do you want to talk about it?" I looked up at him.

"What is there to talk about?" I asked. "Talking won’t fix anything. Roman ruined my life and there's nothing I can do to fix it. I'm going to be a single mom in a little over two months and Roma is still going to be chasing me."

"No he won’t." Adam said surely. I laughed at him.

"How do you figure?" I asked. "What can we really do to keep him away?" He looked at me with serious features.

"We're going to fake your death." He said. I gasped but still looked at him with confusion and shock. If Roman thinks I'm dead then he won’t come looking for me. He won’t have a reason to anymore, I'll be "dead" and he'll be miserable. Maybe this will work out in my favor.
♠ ♠ ♠
(Finally right??? Sorry guys, I've been sucking at writing lately. I'm going to sit down tonight and plan out the rest of the story so maybe I'll know where I'm going with the next chapter.)