The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Four: Smart

XAVIER

There were certain things an Alpha’s mate needed:

•Confidence
•Intelligence
•Beauty


There were many other things, but those were the big ones.

I knew my mate was beautiful, and with beauty came confidence. But intelligence? That I’d have to wait and see.

I walked to the library with the rest of my class. We had to do research for some stupid project. I was into it just the other day, but now that I had found my mate nothing else seemed as exciting or important. She was my—

There she was! And she was…bruised?

I felt anger surge through me that was quickly extinguished as she glanced at me. I grinned stupidly and walked over to her.

“Hey.”

She looked up, and smiled at me. “Hi,” she said shyly.

At least they didn’t harm her face, I thought. “Mind if I sit with you?”

“Uh, sure.”

I flashed her a smile as I sat down. “So, who did that to you?” So we can kill them, my wolf growled.

“Uh, nobody.” She wouldn’t meet my eyes. “I’m just really clumsy.”

That was probably the worst lie I’ve ever heard. Why isn’t she confiding in us? my wolf growled impatiently. She belongs to us!

Be quiet!
I snapped at him.

“You sure? Because I don’t think anyone will buy that,” I said, hoping that she’ll tell me the truth this time.

She sighed, and looked up at me with the most gorgeous eyes in the world. Honey brown. “Meet me after school,” she whispered.

I nodded.

* * * * * *


She was seated at the side of the building, reading a book. God, she was beautiful. Every part of me was screaming at me to claim her. And I wanted to. More than anything in the world. I wanted to mark her and let it be known who she belonged to.

“Hey,” I said, smiling as she held up a finger to silence me.

She turned the page and inserted a bookmark before looking up at me. “Hi.” She smiled. She had the most amazing smile in the world. It was warm and lively and…wonderful.

“So, who did that to you?” I gestured to her body.

She sighed. “Candy and her boyfriend, Tanner, with his friends.”

I felt sick. Tanner was in my pack. I could hardly believe that he had done such a thing.

But when I get my hands (or paws) on him…

“Why would they do this to you?”

“I knew that you wouldn’t believe me!” I was surprised by her sudden outburst. “No one ever believes me.” She buried her face in her hands and started crying.

I wrapped my arms around her before I could stop myself. “I believe you, Bunny. I’m just trying to figure out why.”

She sniffled as she rested her head on my shoulder. “Because I told Candy to go in a hole and die. She told me that I needed to learn manners.”

I nodded to myself. I remembered Bunny saying that yesterday. But that didn’t justify Candy and Tanner in any way. Nobody hurt my mate. Ever.

“I’ll take care of this, Bunny.”

“No,” she whimpered, “you’ll just make it worse.”

I nodded.

“I’ve gotta go.” She stood up. “My dad will be here to pick me up.”

She left me feeling empty inside.

* * * * * *


I pushed Tanner against the wall. “Why the hell did you do it?”

He looked at me dazedly. “What are you—”

“Why did you hurt Bunny?” I growled in his face.

“X, I think you need to calm down,” Kurt said.

“Don’t fucking tell me to calm down!” I snarled.

“I don’t know what you’re going on about. The chick was asking for it,” Tanner said, shrugging nonchalantly. “Why do you—”

That was my mate!

He dangled from where I held him, blinking as he processed it. “Look, man, I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” He held his hands up in surrender.

“Just don’t let it happen again.” I set him down, bumping shoulders as I passed.