The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Five: Insecure

BUNNY


I pulled the beenie closer to my face. I was hoping that Candy would leave me alone if I just minded my own business.

“Hey, loser!”

Oh, great.

I stood up from where I sat by the lockers, running in the opposite direction from her. I didn’t get very far. I bumped right into the brick wall known as Tanner.

Tanner was six feet even, and bulky like The Hulk. Black hair, blue eyes, and lips that a good majority of the girls wanted to kiss.

“Where do you think you’re going, shortie?” Tanner grabbed each of my arms, turning me around and carrying me back to Candy. “I think my girlfriend’s got something to say to you.”

“You must think you’re so cute,” Candy growled in my face. “You’ve gotten the lead in the play, you got your perfect little family, and you’ve got Xavier wrapped around your little finger.” She grabbed my pinky, and bent it back.

I whimpered in pain as she grabbed my ring finger. “I don’t know what you’re—”

“You know exactly what I’m talking about, you ugly little dwarf.”

Now that was taking things a bit too far, but I didn’t comment. “Xavier and I are just friends.” I whimpered as she grabbed my thumb and twisted it around. I think she just immobilized my left hand.

“Oh, really? Then what were you two doing beside the building yesterday?”

My eyes widened. “Wh-what?”

“I saw you two outside yesterday,” she sneered. “All happy and snuggling. An ugly little dwarf like you doesn’t deserve happiness.”

“Aye!” Cookie yelled. “Put Bunny down!”

Cookie was beautiful, too. Pretty blonde hair, chocolate brown eyes, and a slim figure. Cookie could have been the most popular girl in school if it wasn’t for me.

Cookie charged, but Tanner lifted her up effortlessly, balancing the two of us in his hands. “Well, lookie here, Candy. Two losers.”

She smiled.

Then the pain started. Tanner slammed our heads together. We whimpered. Candy punched our stomachs, and then our eyes. One eye each. She was going in for another punch, but someone yelled, “Hey, what’s going on?”

“It’s Kurt. Let’s scram!” Tanner said as he dropped us. Then they ran away.

We laid there, groaning in agony until Xavier and another boy came down the hall.

“Bunny?” Xavier kneeled beside me. “Are you okay?”

I shook my head, and groaned. I looked at Cookie, who was passed out. “You’ve gotta help her!” I said in alarm. Cookie had Mitochondrial disease. It was an energy deficiency. Her body was probably stressing with the process of healing what Candy had just done.

I crawled over to her. “Cookie!” I shook her. “Cookie!”

“Is she okay?” the guy who had been with Xavier asked.

“Don’t just stand there!” I screamed at him. “Go get the nurse!”

He darted away.

I started crying. “Cookie!”

“She’ll be okay, Bunny,” Xavier tried to comfort me.

“You don’t know her! She can’t handle this!” I could barely see past my tears. “Cookie!”
♠ ♠ ♠