The Bunny Queen and Her King

Chapter Six: Confident

XAVIER


She was so bruised and distressed. For the longest time she just kept screaming at the blonde haired girl. Eventually I couldn’t take it, and started doing CPR until the nurse came. Soon the ambulance.

Bunny kept screaming at the top of her lungs in full-fledge hysterics. One of the EMS guys actually had to sedate her.

She was sent home, seeming to be too unstable for school.

Nobody ever bothered to ask how the two girls got bruised. That infuriated me.

“Dude, I think I found my mate,” Kurt said.

I looked at him in surprise. “Who?”

He paled. “The blonde.”

I couldn’t help but feel sorry for him.

As school ended, I followed my mate’s scent. I drove in my truck to a fairly big house. Bigger than mine, at least. It had a flower garden in the front, and the scents overloaded me. The lawn was freshly mowed, the bushes trimmed, and the weeds pulled. The entire house seemed to be my idea of the American Dream.

I walked up the steps, and knocked on the door. A couple minutes later, it opened to a red-eyed, snotty, and battered looking Bunny.

“You okay?” I asked as she gestured me inside.

She nodded.

“Aw! You’re not Josh!”

I looked in surprise to see a boy of about eight or nine with golden blonde hair and dark brown eyes.

“Trey, go to your room.”

“Dad said you’re not supposed to have boys over.”

“He’s just stopping by.”

I watched the siblings bicker. It reminded me of my home life with my brothers and sister.

“I’m telling dad!” Trey yelled.

“Fine.”

Trey went stomping away.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. “He’s only eight—”

“It’s fine,” I said, smiling at my mate. “I have brothers, too.”

She smiled. “So, are you thirsty? Hungry?”

I was a little parched. “Uh, I’d appreciate something to drink.”

She nodded, and gestured for me to follow her. Her house looked bigger on the outside than it really was. Though it was very spacious, it wasn’t the mansion size I had imagined.

Her kitchen was state of the art, and blindingly clean. It had a little island in the middle, and I sat down on one of the stools as she looked in the huge fridge and started naming drinks.

“Uh, water, please,” I said.

She grabbed a cup. “Ice?”

“Uh, sure.”

I was feeling nervous, if that wasn’t obvious enough. I was in her house with her. The only thing stopping me from claiming her was her eight year old brother who I didn’t feel like taking the chance of watching what I was eventually going to do.

She passed me a cup, and sat down next to me with a glass of apple juice.

“So, what would you like to do?”

A lot, my wolf said.

Shut up, I told him.

“Umm…” I took a long drink. “So, was it Candy again?”

Her eyes widened like a deer’s at hearing Candy’s name. She nodded slowly.

Just Candy?”

Candy was a skinny little bitch, and I doubt she could cause that much damage to Bunny and another girl all by herself.

She shook her head.

“Who else?”

She hesitated. “Tanner,” she muttered.

I had to fight the impulse to assert my leadership over him. “Tanner,” I repeated. “That son of a bitch.”

Her eyes widened, and her mouth opened like a fish’s.

“What?” I asked.

“We’re not supposed to cuss around Trey,” she murmured, looking behind me.

I turned to see her brother looking exactly as his sister had a moment before. Once he recovered from his daze, he screamed, “I’m telling mom!”

“Trey! He didn’t know!” she said, standing up to tower over her brother. “He knows now, and it won’t happen again.”

“But mom says that we’re—”

“He. Didn’t. Know.” She pronounced each word slowly. “It won’t happen again, Trey.”

He seemed to be thinking very hard over what his sister was telling him.

“Josh will be here in a second, and Xavier will go. Okay?”

He nodded slowly. “Okay.”

Then there was a knock on the door. “JOSH!” Trey yelled, running toward the door.

She looked at me apologetically. “I’m really sorry, but I think it’ll be easier on him if you left.”

I nodded. “Of course. I’ve overstayed my welcome, anyway.”

“See you at school, Xavier.”

I nodded as I showed myself out.

* * * * * *


“Her brother is…strange,” I said as I finished telling Kurt about him.

“It sounds like he might be autistic,” Kurt said. “Did you ask?”

“I was more concerned with Bunny getting in trouble than her brother possibly being autistic.” I chewed on my hot dog. “Besides, what does it matter? My mate is flawless.

“Speaking of which, I’ve got a date.” He was scraping the mustard off his hot dog.

“Really? With who?”

My mate.” He grinned. “She just flat out asked me to go out.” He had a dreamy look in his eyes. “I love girls that just say whatever’s on their mind.”

“Good for you, man.”

I was sincerely happy for Kurt, but at the same time a little jealous that he was getting farther than I was.

“Oh, and by the way, Bunny’s coming, so would you mind escorting her away from us?”

“I’d be more than happy to.” I grinned.