‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Maybe you two need a break..."

Frank and Gerard left with Busy and Thora a few minutes later. Fran sat closer to me, smiling sadly, "What's going to happen between you and Gerard?"

"I don't know." I muttered, "I'm so... Confused."

"What caused this?"

"He said that he was bored."

Her brow rose, "Bored?"

"That's what he said. He said that Eliza brought up this stupid excited feelings." I shook my head, "He tried to justify it, and it only made me feel worse."

Fran sighed and wrapped her arms around me again, "Gerard is an asshole, October."

"I just don't understand what's going on in his head."

"He's a guy," she pulled back, "Maybe you two need a break... Let him evaluate his life, and you try and see things without him."

"I can't." I sobbed quietly, "Gerard is my entire world, he's the only man I've ever loved. As cheesy and childish as this sounds; he's my soulmate."

Fran nodded sadly, "I know, hun... I remember all the things you told me when we first lived together, but maybe this is what God intended. You're both older, maybe your needs are hidden within a different route."

I blinked away tears, "I can't imagine my life without him. The girls... They adore him."

"October, I'm not saying you two should divorce, only that you take a break. See how things are."

I sighed, "You're right... I need to... Take a break. I need to relaunch my career; start over, really."

Fran smiled, patting my hands, "Shrink your head into your work. Get busy designing and sowin'. Let Gerard take care of the girls, let him see what it's like for you. See how bored he ends up," she added with a smirk.

I couldn't help but to laugh, "Yeah, you've got a point."

"I'm brilliant." She grinned.

"Yes, you are, Fran."

•••

Gerard returned with the girls at dinner time, without saying a single word. The girls came in, same as the day before, running to wash their hands. Gerard leaned on the counter, looking at me, "How was your day?"

I smiled, thinking about my morning talk with Fran and my busy afternoon, "I found a boutique and a distributional clothing company. I won't have to sow my fingers to bone."

He smiled surprisingly, "You were busy today, huh?"

I nodded, "Yes. And, I also did some thinking."

"What about?"

"Well, I thought about everything and I think it's best if me and you took some breathing room. We need to evaluate our lives, start things fresh."

Gerard looked upset, surprised again, "Breathing room?"

"Not a divorce, not a break up... Just a little time to ourselves." The girls came rushing in, "You do what I did, and I'll do what you did. I'll work on the boutique and you be Mr. Mom for a while."

Gerard frowned, "What?"

"So you can see how boring it gets." I held back a smirk.

"That's not fair." He hissed at me as I turned towards the kitchen table.

"No one ever said life was fair, Gee." I turned to him again as the girls scrambled to sit, "Are you staying for dinner?"

He gave a small nod before coming around the counter.

"Daddy, you's stayin'?" Thora asked happily.

"Yeah, I'm staying."

She and Busy both cheered happily, "Yay!"


As much as I wanted to refuse Gerard, I let him sleep in bed with me. He rolled over on his side, looking up at the ceiling, while I rolled onto my side and held the pillow beneath my head. I felt and heard him shift over towards me.

I tensed up when I felt his arm around my waist. I grabbed his hand and moved it off; "I can't spoon?"

I held in a laugh, "No."

He sighed, "C'mon."

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because you've been a real dick."

Again, Gerard sighed, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to fix this, neither is cuddling or spooning." I rolled over on my side, "I can't just forgive you Gerard, you've truly hurt me... I've never hurt you before."

He grabbed my upper arm and made me look at him, "Yes you have." He muttered angrily.

I glared at him, "What? When?"

"When you would ignore me when I was drinkin'."

I sat up, "What?! I hurt you?! You hurt me! And even then, I forgave your sorry ass! You pushed me and shoved me and kicked in a door! You were gonna rape me before I told you I was pregnant!"

Gerard retreated back, shrinking almost, towards the edge of the bed. My lip trembled as the memories came and went quickly; "I never ever hurt you, Gerard. Never."

He looked away, licking his lips and began to get out of the bed; "You're right. You're always so fuckin' right... I'm nothing but a fucking hypocrite... A monster. I..." He trailed softly and I immediately regretted unloading on him.

"Gerard, just come back to bed--"

"No. I need to leave. I need to get out of here." He started towards the dresser, grabbing his shoes and sweatshirt.

"Wait, don't leave! The girls--"

He shook his head, "You should keep them away from me, October." He looked at me with those sad, heavy and tired eyes, "I'm... I'll see them soon."

"You can't just leave! They need you! I need you." I added that last part quietly.

"I'll be back soon." He mumbled, "I won't be gone for days... I just need a couple of hours."

"Where are you going?" I asked him meekly.

"To... Somewhere." He muttered quickly, "I love you, Sugar."

I didn't get to utter another word before he jetted from the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Despite how sad these chapters are, stallion duck.'s comments always kinda make me grin like an idiot. All of your guys' comments make me smile, but hers are hilarious.

Thanks for reading, guys :)
xo ali