‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Happy Birthday Daddy."

I was sowing when my door bell rang. I stopped what I was doing and went to the door; I unlocked it, opened it and saw Gerard carrying Busy. She was asleep, "You can put her in my room." I told him simply.

He didn't reply, he just went down the hall. I went into the kitchen to make her a bottle for when she woke up. I then put it in the fridge, then went back to finish sowing the dress I was working on. 

To my surprise, Gerard was standing in there, looking at it. I raised my brow, "What are you doing?" I asked.

He looked back at me, "I never actually seen any of your shit half finished before... You were either getting started or finished."

I had a smart reply, but I bit my tongue. "I'm making a dress for Busy."

"For what?"

"Disneyland next month. It's a surprise for my birthday," I said with a small smile, "I want it to look like Belle's, that's Busy's favorite princess."

He nodded, "Yeah, she told me." He moved away from my desk, "That's pretty awesome, October."

"Thanks. Did she have fun?" 

He smirked at me, "She's asleep, ain't she?"

I smirked back, "Well, you're right."

He sighed a bit, "I'm gonna go now... I leave in a few days and I won't be back for like 6 weeks. I thought I'd let you know."

"Well, I hope you have fun." I told him softly.

"Thanks. I'll see you later."

"See ya." I waved to him.

Gerard gave me this little knowing smile that I didn't know what he meant by it. I had frowned a little, but I didn't give it anymore thought. I went back to my desk and began to work on the dress.

•••

The next day, Busy got me up, "Mama! Mama, we make daddy present!"

I rolled over, "I know, I know." 

She looked at me, "Let's go!" She giggled jumping up and down.

I smiled and got up, "I got to shower, go watch TV, then we'll have cereal and start your present."

Busy giggled and ran to the living room. I hurried myself in the bathroom and took a quick shower. I dressed comfortably, put my hair up and went to the kitchen. Busy followed me, I sat her in the counter and gave her cereal.

"Daddy like my present?" She asked.

"He will." I told her.

"You call him?"

"Yes, B, I'll call him."

Busy ran into the living room after she finished eating, and I grabbed the things to make Gerard's gift. She was making him a clay ashtray. I had thought of it when I told her his birthday was coming up. She wanted to make something he'd used every day. Gerard will definitely use an ashtray; he and Frank.

"I drawed a picture." She told me.

I folded a bright piece of construction paper for her card, "Spell for me?" Busy asked.

"Spell what, baby doll?"

"Happy Birthday Daddy." She told me with a smile, "Loves B!"

I spelled it across the card, then Busy drew her picture. Inside, she had me write 'I Love You' in big black letters. She drew some more, then, after we let the clay dry, she painted it. She painted it so many different colors, then we let it dry. Busy then urged me to make him a card of my own.

"What you drawed?" She asked.

"Uh... I'll draw him." I did a little doodle of Gerard, then I put Happy Birthday on it.

Inside, I glued a small picture of Busy inside of it. She grinned when she saw it and clapped, "Call daddy!"

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Get the gift box, then."

Busy ran to the hall closet, then I grabbed my phone. I gave a small exhale as I called him. A few minutes passed, then Gerard picked up, "'Sup?"

I snorted a laugh, "Uh, happy birthday."

He chuckled, "Thanks, you're the first one to call and not text me. So, uh, what's up?"

"Busy made you a gift." I told him.

"And a card, daddy! Come over!" Busy shouted with a giggle.

Gerard laughed softly, "Alright, I'll be over soon."

I hung up with Gerard, then I helped Busy put the ashtray in the box. She put the lid on, "Mama, what the ashtray for?"

"When Daddy smokes."

Busy made a face, "I no like when he does that!"

I chuckled, "I used to like it."

"Yucky, why?"

I shrugged, "I thought you're daddy was cute when he smoked."

Busy giggled, "Mama that silly!"

I exasperated jokingly, "Yeah, B, I know."

Gerard arrived 15 minutes later, just as Busy had finished her bath was was dressed. He knocked and she ran to the door, with her hair up, "Daddy! Daddy! C'mere!"

Gerard came in and picked her up, "Hey, BB." He kissed her cheek.

"I mades you somethin'!"

Gerard came over to the couch, I sat down, as did he with Busy on his lap. I gave her the box to give to Gerard; "Oh, wow, what a nice box."

"I picks it. Open." Busy urged him.

Gerard looked to me, then back at the box. He pulled the top open and he grinned, "Wow." He said softly.

He pulled the ashtray out, Busy grinned, too, "You likes it?" She watched him.

Gerard nodded, "I love it, Biz. Thank you."

She giggled, "Yous welcome. Mama help."

Gerard looked to me, "Well, she asked me what you would like."

He looked it over, still smiling, "This is amazing, Busy. I love it, a lot."

"You takes it with you, Daddy?"

Gerard nodded, "Of course I will."

I handed her the card she made him. Gerard looked at it when she gave it to him, and I think his smile got wider, "This is wonderful."

"Mama writes it for me." 

"Thanks, October." Gerard said.

"Mama makes you one!" Busy told him.

I grabbed mine from the table and handed it to him. I rubbed my neck, shyly; he looked at the front, "Whoa, October, this is bad ass."

"Thanks." I said quietly.

"Look inside!" Busy urged him.

Gerard opened it up and he chuckled, "Busy, you look so beautiful."

"I know, Daddy" She giggled.

Gerard laughed again with a shake of the head, "Thank you, October."

"You're welcome." I said to him.

"Daddy, you stay with me?" Busy asked.

He looked at me, "Uh..."

"Go ahead, I have to get some things done." I told him.

"Thanks."

I nodded, "No problem."

Gerard stayed and played with Busy for hours. I had cleaned up, finished some deadlines, then I started to make Busy's dinner. Gerard sat Busy down at the counter, "I'm gonna go now. Mikey's been looking for me."

Busy stood up in her chair, "Loves you, Daddy!" 

Gerard hugged her, "I love you, too, B." He looked over at me, "I'll see you, October."

"Bye." I said to him.

"I'll be back tomorrow."

"Kay, bye, Daddy!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler... Maybe the next chapter will be better