‹ Prequel: Heavy

Three Cheers

"Stress is my middle name."

"October," Dr. Green began to speak, "We believe you have Polycystic cysts." He looked over my chart, "The cyst aren't massive, and we aren't sure yet, if they are cancerous. I'd like perform a biopsy and get a sample for testing."

My heart was at ease, but only for a minute, "And... If they're cancerous?"

"Since they're small, we'd immediately put you on the ER to have them removed."

I exhaled lowly, Gerard squeezed my hand, "When do we do the biopsy?"

"I'd like to do it in a couple of days after your results come in. Is that alright?"

I nodded, "Yes."

"You should rest up, take those pills I gave you. Please, I recommend you take it easy, October, we don't want you in anymore pain than you already are."

"Thank you, doctor," Gerard spoke up, "I've been trying to keep her stress free."

Dr. Green smiled, "That's very good of you, Mr. Way. I'm happy that October has great support."

Gerard smiled back, "I got to," He replied, "We got a baby to take care of, we need October around."

My chest tightened at those words. I squeezed Gerard's hand, thanking him silently.

We finished up the appointment, then I made another. Gerard kept his hand close to mine and squeezed it along the way to the car. Inside the car, Gerard let out a heavy breath, "That went better than I anticipated."

"Yeah." I said lowly.

"You still scared?" He asked.

"Yep," I licked my lips, "I will always be scared, benign or not."

Gerard leaned over, kissing my cheek, "Me too, but your doctor sounded hopeful."

"I'm not going to rejoice just yet." I told him.

"Don't start stressing." Gerard warned as he leaned back in his seat.

"Stress is my middle name." I mumbled.

Gerard gave a small sigh, "For the next couple of days I'm gonna take care of everything. Don't worry about shit."

"Your tour starts in a few weeks, don't you have to get ready for that?" I asked curiously.

Gerard's face hung, "Shit, that totally spaced my mind."

"Gerard, I can handle everything. As long as I don't worry about finding another store right now, I'm stress free. I just want to be with Busy."

Gerard rubbed his chin, "I don't wanna fuckin' go on tour now. I can't leave you, especially right now, you need me."

The words flew out of my mouth faster than I meant them too; "Gerard, I don't need you."

I regretted saying that the moment it left my mouth.

"That's not how I meant it to sound," I said but he turned his head anyway, "I meant that I got my dad, my mom, my brothers. I'm good if I need someone to take care of Busy."

He looked at me, "You know what?"

I was afraid of what he might say, "What?"

"I need you." He said softly, "I don't think I can handle being away from you."

"Well, you got to."

He sighed again, "I feel like I have no one, October, except you and Busy. My brother has been my worst enemy the past couple of weeks and my mom don't understand..."

I leaned over and pressed my lips to the corner of his own, "Gee, it'll get better, I promise. Mikey's upset right now, but he'll get over it."

"I feel alone right now." He said quietly, "I never... I haven't felt this way since before I met you."

I wrapped my arms around Gerard, "I'm sorry you feel that way, Gee. I'll do my best to make those feelings go away." I murmured against his ear.

"Thank you."

"You won't hurt yourself, would you?" I asked him softly; I wondered if he felt those suicidal feelings.

"No, I won't. I swear. I ain't gonna do that, I love you and Busy too much."

I kissed Gerard's lips, "I love you, too, and I know Busy loves you more than anything."

Gerard was silent for a moment, he turned his head and returned the kiss, "I don't know how I'm gonna get through the tour. I'm gonna be worried out of my mind about you."

"I'll be fine. If I'm not, I'll call you, promise."

He shook his head, "You ain't gotta do all that," He exhaled lowly, "We'll call each other everyday, more if its necessary," He kissed my lips, "I don't want you to have to call me every time you feel you don't have to."

I nodded, agreeing, "Whatever you want, Gee."

He placed a kiss on my forehead, I sat back in my seat, letting my hand reach over to his and intertwined our fingers.

•••

I had to tell my parents about the cysts, and I was beyond nervous about it. I was sure my mom would bring up something about custody and a will and other unnecessary shit. My mom, she's out to get Gerard out of my and Busy's lives. She hates him. Still, and I don't know why, really.

So, I went over with Busy and Gerard the following day. My dad smiled, happily greeting Gerard, "Hey, good to see you again." He said to him.

"Yeah, same here, Mr. Fredrick."

"Just call me Bill." My dad patted his back. My dad hugged me, "Hey, darlin'."

"Hi dad." I returned the hug.

My dad happily picked Busy up as we followed in, "Queen B!" Busy giggled.

"Hi ganpa!" She wrapped his arms around his neck.

"Uncle BJ and Jill are here. They're in the back yard." My dad told her.

Busy looked at me, "Mama, I go play?"

I nodded, "Yes, you can go play."

My dad set her down, and Busy jetted out the back door. She squealed my niece, Jill's name, "Jilly!"

I smiled watching her still. I turned my head, seeing my mom with her arms crossed, "So, what did you need to speak to us about?" She asked, her eyes rolling over to analyze Gerard.

He balanced uncomfortably on his feet. I rubbed my neck, then took his hand in mine, "Do you have coffee?"

She nodded and gestured for us to follow her.

I sat down at the table with Gerard, and my dad. My mom gave Gerard a cup, and gave me a water bottle, "I know you don't like your coffee in the afternoon, October."

"Yeah." I replied quietly.

"So, what's going on?" My dad asked softly.

"Dear Lord, don't tell me you're married and pregnant." She seemed to roll her eyes.

Gerard stiffened, his hand landed on my thigh, squeezing it gently. It hurt a bit how quickly she assumed things.

"No, mom, it's much more serious than that." I told her through gritted teeth.

My dad furrowed his brows a bit, his mustache twitched as he tweaked his lips, "What's going on?"

I licked my lips, placing my hands around the water bottle, "I was sick last weekend, and I went to the doctor and... They performed an ultrasound on my lower abdomen, and they... They found several small cyst on my ovaries."

My mom's jaw slacked, as did my fathers, but he quickly opened his mouth to speak, "Well, is it serious? Do you... Do you have some type of cancer?"

I shrugged, "It looks harmless right now, they're small, and they can give me medication to treat them, but the doctor wants to do a biopsy to take a sample and see if they're cancerous or not." I explained.

My mom held her mouth a moment, "October, I'm so sorry honey."

"I just came here to tell you all, because Gerard is leaving for tour in a couple of weeks and I need some help taking care of Busy." I told them, "I'm not sure what's really going to happen."

My dad nodded, "I'll come stay over whenever you need me, October. You know we'll help you with B whenever you need us."

I exhaled, "Thank you."

"Honey, you don't ever have to feel afraid to ask," My mom added, "We love her."

"I just wanted to inform you. I don't want to be a burden with asking."

"Busy isn't a burden, October." My dad smiled.

"I know, but I know you guys have a handful with Jeremy, Evan, John and BJ's kids." 

Gerard gave a confused look, "Man, I forgot you had 4 brothers."

I chuckled, "They each got 3 kids of their own."

Gerard shook his head, turning to my parents after, "You guys do have your hands full."

"We love having them." My dad replied, "But Busy's the youngest and the one with the most energy."

I smiled, "She tires me out."

My mom crossed her hand over the table to take hold of mine, "Whatever you need, October, we'll gladly help."

I smiled wider, "Thanks."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is totally unrelated to the story, but I was wondering if I should write another Gerard story or somebody different? I've been thinking of this new concept and wondering who I should feature in it, so... uh yeah.

thanks for reading
xo ali