A Time to Love

Dinner

I watched as the group of people I classed as my family, all laughed and mingled so perfectly. Jimmy was laughing at Johnny who was coughing up beer. Zacky was teasing Gena and Leana, whilst Matt and Alisha looked more loved up than ever. This was a family that was stronger than blood and it made me smile to think how I was a part of it.

“Are you okay? You’re a little quiet,” Brian said into my ear, his brown eyes looking at me with woe. I smile and place a gentle kiss to his lips.

“I’m fine, honestly,” I laugh and place my hand to Brian’s cheek, “Just taking in this moment. It’s perfect!” I blush as a huge smile rips at Brian’s mouth, like I had just confirmed something for him.

We all order our starters and main dishes, everyone then moving back into a group conversation once the waiter leaves. The topic seems to be the baby room and how well the guys had done on it. I was still yet to see the final result, so I decided I would pop in tomorrow and have a catch up with Alisha as well; just us two girls.

“Doesn’t it get you all broody, seeing how everything is coming together,” Gena sighs, causing Zacky to spit his drink out. Everyone laughs as Gena gives him a playful smack. “Get over it Baker,” she chuckles along with everyone else.

“I know it sure makes me think about where I am in life,” I speak up and everyone looks my way. Im not sure, but it seems like everyone is sharing a smile as they take in what I just say.

“Elaborate, Jaime…” Jimmy urges and I begin to blush as everyone watches me, a few of them looking like they are on the edge of their seats. Am I missing something here?

“Well it just put’s things into perspective for you,” I reply, “I realise that everyone moves through life at their own pace and doing things in their own order. I know this wasn’t planned, but seeing how happy it makes Ali and Matt, well it makes me see things a little differently,” I notice Brian tense beside me. I place a hand on his leg and smile, “Im not ready for a baby just yet, but hey, I’m ready for whatever else comes my way!”

Brian relaxes and everyone beams a smile. I know for sure there is something going on here and somehow I have just said something they are happy with. Brian clears his throat and with a nod from Jimmy and Zack, he turns to me.

“Jaime,” Brian begins, his voice shaking a little, “For a while now I have been trying to figure out where we are and what direction we are heading in,” I watch Brian, trying to work out what he is trying to say, “I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you and so I figure there is no long to prolong the inevitable… What I’m trying to say is…” Brian abruptly stops and his eyes linger on someone behind me, his face of pure anger and terror.

“What the fuck is she doing here?” Leana growls, causing everyone to turn towards the door, just as the woman makes a beeline for our table. My breath hitches and my hand immediately finds Brian’s, who squeezes it with reassurance. Michelle looks as gorgeous as ever and instantly I feel like a little girl beside her; my paranoia slowly creeping in.

“Well if it isn’t the Brady Bunch,” Michelle drools, her eyes moving over the table but to linger on Brian and myself.

“What do you want, Michelle?” Matt snaps, his hazel eyes a much darker shade. I don’t think I have ever seen Matt so angry before and if he wasn’t on my side here, then I might just be scared of him.

“Oh nothing, just was in the area,” She replied, smiling seductively at Brian who was looking ahead, pretending like she wasn’t even there. I looked at Brian and smiled a little as he started talking to Johnny, his arm around me as he places a kiss to my temple; almost like nothing is happening beside him. Michelle looks frustrated and we both know that the only way she can get his attention, is by firing her hate at me. I watch her cold grey eyes as she smirks. “It’s so good to see you, Jaime. You’re looking youthful as ever. How old are you now? Fifteen? Sixteen?”

“She’s twenty, almost twenty one, actually,” Alisha speaks up and I can see Matt placing a protective arm around her.

“Sorry, what was that?” Michelle turns to Alisha, “I was too busy not caring what you have to say!” She giggles and instantly I begin seeing red. But as Im about to open my mouth to say something, Brian beat’s me to it.

“Shut the hell up, Michelle,” He shouts and by now we have the attention of all the restaurant. Michelle steps back a little startled, “How long will it take you to realise that none of us cares for what you have to say. Why won’t you walk away and move on already?” Brian shouts just as a waiter scuttles over.

“Is there a problem, sir?” He asks, looking like a star struck fan as he looks at Brian.

“Yes, can you please escort this woman out the building or we will be forced to leave,” Brian declares. The manager, who was listening in, obviously values the guy’s service so gets the waiter to walk Michelle out the building. She is too startled at Brian’s outburst too even leave with a spiteful remark.

After that, silence pretty much falls over the table as we eat our food. I’ve pretty much lost my appetite so I just push it around my plate until the waiter takes it away. After that everyone goes their own way as we all say our goodbyes. Brian is quiet on the way home and I’m taken back to speech he was about to make. I was sure he was about to get on one knee before Michelle showed up and that pissed me off. I had been waiting so long for a sign from Brian, to show me that he was ready to take the next step, but until tonight, I hadn’t been sure. I was sure now that Brian was moments away from proposing. It might seem a little judgemental, but I know what a proposal looks like.

Brian doesn’t speak much and I feel a stab of annoyance. We both go to bed though I’m happy when Brian pulls me into his side and places a kiss to my temple. If it was a proposal, I’m sure another opportunity will arise. He could propose in the kitchen and I wouldn’t care. I just hope he doesn’t think Michelle turning up tonight is some sign. I want to marry Brian, so all I can do is wait now…
♠ ♠ ♠
I suck, I know. I had this chapter written up weeks ago and stupidly I thought I had already posted it. Obviously not, so I apologise to both readers and my amazing co-writer, Tegan!

Thoughts on Michelle interupting Brian when he was about to propose? Do you think he will see this as a sign? Let me know what you all think (: