Sequel: Fall Away
Status: Complete.

Trust Me

Chapter 10

As all the tributes waited for our interviews, they packed us all into one little room just off-screen. We were glued to the TV as we watched Caesar step out and do a little introduction speech. Jill caught my eye, and I saw the male tribute from her District with his arm around her, trying to calm her down. Her eyes were wide and her face was already starting to sweat. There was no color to her cheeks. The boy from 7 leaned in and whispered something in her ear, patting her shoulder, and she nodded slowly.

I looked away, fighting the urge to go talk to her. I wasn’t sure if we were officially friends, but I still felt indebted to her for talking to me on the first day. Parq gave me a soft elbow to the ribs to get my attention, and I realized he was sitting next to me.

“Nice score today. Eleven, wow.” He murmured.

“Thanks. You too. I’m really glad I’m in an alliance with you and Terra, especially after seeing your scores.” I said. I wasn’t sure how to talk to him. Sure we were in an alliance, but that was a purely strategic move. We hadn’t even spoken up until this point, and I wasn’t sure if an alliance would put us in the same category as ‘friends’. Probably not, since most friends don’t have to ponder the possibility of killing each other.

“It’s a shame Ingrid and Adri are so dead set against being in an alliance.” Parq mused. “We could be unstoppable.”

“Do you really think it’s a good idea to be around Ingrid while you sleep?” I asked with a dry laugh.

Parq chuckled. “Yeah, that’s true. She’s a bit of a nut case, isn’t she?”

I cast a glance at Ingrid to see if she could hear us, but the music from the stage seemed to be loud enough to cover our voices. “Just a bit.” I agreed.

Just then, Terra was called on stage. Her angle had been friendly and kind, so she wore a huge smile on her face and a bright yellow sundress. She waved at the audience happily as she practically skipped on stage. Her face still looked a little off when she smiled. It wasn’t natural.

I listened absently to her interview, aware of all the tributes scoping each other out with the news of our scores. Adri and I were the subject of wary glances, while Kip was the subject of pitiful looks.

Before I knew it, Adri was called up to the stage. I was extremely curious to see how he’d act on camera, as I couldn’t imagine what angle he’d try to pull. He didn’t seem to care enough to try and seem intimidating – though with his size and his scores, he didn’t have to try – and no other angle seemed to make sense for him.

“Ladies and gentlemen, District 1’s tribute, Adri!” Caesar bellowed out, and the audience went wild. He must have become famous already for his scores.

Adri flashed a half smile and waved at them once before taking a seat next to Caesar.

“So, Adri, you’ve pulled some very impressive scores today!” Caesar declared.

Adri nodded. “I’m quite pleased with them.” He offered.

Caesar laughed. “I’m sure you are!” The audience laughed along with him at that. “But it looks like you’ve got some firm competition. Winnie, the girl from District 4, has mirrored your score. How are you feeling about that?”

“I’m not worried in the slightest.” Adri said easily.

The audience and Caesar let out a chorus of ‘Ooh’. “I admire that kind of confidence. What advantages do you think you have over her?” Caesar asked, leaning in. This was the gossip he loved dealing with, I could see.

“I didn’t say I had any advantages. I’m just not worried.” Adri corrected.

“Sounds like you’ve got some tricks up your sleeve.” Caesar said, raising an eyebrow and leaning in.

“I guess you and Winnie will both just have to wait for the Games to begin.” Adri said with a crooked grin at the camera, and I felt as though he was grinning specifically at me through the screen. A shiver ran down my spine.

Everyone was watching my face, trying to see my reaction. I could feel the air of smugness rolling off of Ingrid as she was satisfied to learn that she was not the only one who wanted to kill me the second we all set foot in the arena.

I gave an easy laugh. “He can bring it on. I’m not scared.” I muttered, just loud enough for everyone to hear. I hoped everyone had heard it. I didn’t want to look scared. I couldn’t afford to show weakness in front of everyone. Inside, however, I felt like running into a closet and screaming until my throat was raw.

Ingrid was next to go on the stage. She had gone for the sexy look. Her bright red gown made her pale skin and jet-black hair stand out, and the cut was a very deep V-neck. The way she walked onto the stage was very feline-like. She sat down and crossed her legs daintily, a half-smile dancing on her lips, though her eyes looked somewhat deranged.

Her interview went well. She played her part perfectly, flashing coy smiles to the audience and engaging in witty back-and-forth with Caesar. Caesar brought up her score, and Ingrid said she was saving her best for the arena and brushed his comment off with an easy giggle, but I could see her eye twitching. When her interview was done, she sauntered back into the off-stage room with a grimace on her face, as though she hated playing a part for the audience, and she sat back down next to Parq wordlessly.

I didn’t pay much attention to the rest. Parq’s interview went flawlessly. The tributes from 3 had dressed in matching costumes and they both played their part as modest, though it didn’t make them very memorable. And then I heard my name called. My knees shook and the room began to spin. One of my feet caught on the other, and I stumbled. A pair of arms shot up, hands settling around my waist to steady me, and I looked down into Adri’s face. His face was lit up with smug joy as he looked up at me, his hands lingering around my waist.

“Thanks, kid.” I said, ruffling his hair, though I cringed as I touched him.

“I’m a year older than you.” He informed me, letting go of my waist.

“Oh, really? I never would have guessed.” I said sharply before turning on my heel and walking on stage. I flashed the audience my most dazzling smile and waved at everyone, blowing a few kisses at the crowd and a few at the cameras before taking a seat next to Caesar.

“Well, Winnie, you look amazing. Remind me to send your stylist a request to do some outfits for me! I mean, the hovering mermaid costume was phenomenal, even with that little tripping mishap.” Caesar said.

I giggled. “I was just so happy to be in the Capitol, I guess I lost my footing.” I didn’t tell them it was a power pack mishap. I didn’t want to get anyone in any more trouble. “It’s just so spectacular here.”

“Isn’t it just? I can’t blame you. If I was in front of so many people and in such beautiful clothes the first time I came to the Capitol, I probably would have fainted!” Caesar said, and the audience roared with laughter. “You don’t seem to be very easily overlooked, though. I mean, your scores are absolutely fabulous. The best scores District 4 has seen in a while!”

I smiled. “I’m very pleased. I’ve trained very hard since I got here, and I’m glad to know it’s paid off.”

“What about Adri though, hm? He seems to have something up his sleeve.” Caesar said.

The words were spilling out of my lips before I could stop them. I turned to the camera, as if I were looking right into Adri’s eyes, and said in the most sugary voice I could muster up, “He can talk about his plans all he likes. Actions speak louder than words, and I’m saving my actions for the arena. He can count on that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so pleased with the amount of feedback I got on the last chapter. ^^ Thank you to everyone who's reading, subscribing and commenting, because it really makes me so happy to know people are liking this story.