Status: idek ksjfak

Right From the Start

Waltz

“All set, Isa?” My father said, fixing his bowtie as I carefully made my way down the stairs. My floor-length dress and my three-inch heels did not make things any easier.

“Yes, Dad. I’m not quite sure about Mom though.” I chuckled as I took a seat on the couch in the living room.

“I’m ready, I’m ready!” Mom said, her heels tapping on the stairs as she came down. Her navy blue dress was also touching the floor and it was flowing. We carefully made our way outside the house and inside the car and in no time, we were off to Lily’s party.

I considered Lily to be my closest cousin. My mom and her dad were the best of siblings as well. When we were little, we always played with each other. As years passed, we never got to see each other much, but whenever we did, we would always hang out and catch up on life. We weren’t exactly alike — she was certainly girly and fond of extravagant things and she was outgoing and fun to be with. I guess our personalities just complement each other.

A fancy party is definitely of Lily’s taste. The theme was going to be red carpet. Which was why all girls were to come wearing a gown while the boys would need to wear a tux, both in dark colors. My silk gown was dark platinum green. It had an asymmetrical neckline, with one strap draping over my right shoulder. On top of it perfectly sat a large, embroidered rose made of tulle. Pleats made the bottom half of my dress flow waist down. It was plain and I liked it, although I was already bothered by the fact that my other shoulder was bare. I was pretty much that kind of person, but my mom told me that if I wore something that was too conservative, people would think I was weird. I didn’t exactly like to wear heels too, but I had to, as advised by my mother. My black heels are hardly visible though due to the length of my dress.

And did I mention that there’d be ballroom dancing? When I got out of bed this morning, I suddenly found myself having a Ballroom Dancing 101 session with Mom. She taught me every proper dance technique and step she knows. If there was one thing I didn’t know about my mom, I didn’t know that she was good at ballroom dancing. I tried my best to tell her that we were already taught how to dance formally last year for junior prom (which I did not attend) but she still insisted. I was most worried by the fact that probably trip and fall because I wasn’t the most graceful when walking with heels, so what more when dancing?

I don’t know, but somehow my thoughts drifted back to last night. Just everything that happened last night. John taking my hand, leading me to the blanket on the hill, John keeping his gaze on me as I stared on the falling meteors, John leaning in to kiss me… Not to mention the phone call that changed the flow of last night’s events. I sighed as I looked out of the window, images of Arizona city life blurring past my sight. I’ve been trying to preoccupying myself with these party preparations and I guess my effort have now been put into vain because John popped back again in my head.

I guess I’ve been too caught up with my what I was thinking that I realized that we arrived at the venue, some five-star hotel that I probably heard about a few times before. The hotel was probably one of the tallest buildings in the area. As I looked up to it, I saw many porches and the glass sliding doors beneath it. Each room had a red curtain, concealing the view of the city from inside. We pulled into a cul-de-sac driveway as I adored the extravagant fountain in the middle of it. Mom, Dad and I got out of the car as we turned it into the hands of the people who work in the hotel’s valet parking.

Dad put on his coat and straightened out his attire before we stepped through the big doorway. We made our way on the carpeted walkway of the lobby, passing under a big chandelier in the center of the room. I shuddered as we did so. The lobby was almost deserted at that moment; only people were working at the front desk and a guest who was checking in, were there. We went into the corridor to the ballroom where the debut would take place.

“Hello, are you guests of Lily Fedrow?” There was a table outside the ballroom, where some people were attending to guests and dealing with the presents. My parents however, have already started to converse to some other guests that they know by the table, so I was left to deal with all the guest stuff myself.

“Yes, we are,” I said, handing her the present we got for Lily. She handed it to another person, who started labeling it as I signed something that had to do with gift registry.

“May I kindly know your name?”

“Isa Thames.”

“Isabelle Thames? You’re at table 8, while your parents are at table 7,” she said with a smile. “Maybe you’d like to sign her guestbook?” I nodded and signed it as she continued to talk. “Are you aware that you’ll be a part of the eighteen candles?”

My head snapped up. “Eighteen candles? What?”

“Oh, you see, Ms. Fedrow has hand-picked eighteen guests to say a special dedication, which would include a memory with her in it. After your speech, you’ll need to light a candle on the stage,” she explained.

“Alright, thank you,” I said with a smile. I finished signing and handed the marker back to her. Great. Now I have to prepare a speech in time for this “eighteen candles” thing. I’ll probably just do it extemporaneously. I walked up to my parents and told them their table number. They told me to go in the ballroom ahead and I had no choice but to follow.

The floor was carpeted with a shade of dark blue, but a single red carpet flowed straight from the main entrance to the center stairs of the stage. Chandeliers illuminated the room from the high ceiling they were hanging from. On the far end of the room, there was a stage and a big television screen standing behind it. Big clapperboards stood beside the screen, which displayed a picture of Lily. Lines of round tables draped with white tablecloths stood right before the dance floor, which was in between these tables and the stage. Buffet pans were neatly arranged on long tables on the opposite sides of the room.

I looked for my table, keeping off the red carpet because I seriously don’t want to walk on it. Fake Oscar statuettes, Golden Globe awards and Grammy awards held up the number of each table. I found table 8 quickly and pulled a chair. I was apparently the only one there, so I was left to wonder who I was going to be seated with. I looked around the ballroom. Other guests about my age were in many groups, laughing and just talking. And there were adults in one big group, discussing something as they occasionally took a sip or two from their own wine glasses. I was the only one who wasn’t engaged in a conversation as of the moment. I was caught off-guard though, as someone took a seat beside me.

“Uh, hi Isa.” He stuttered, a smile evident in his words. I knew that voice. I looked around me just to make sure I wasn't at school or something but no, sitting right before me was Garrett Nickelsen. Who would have thought.

“Garrett? What are you doing here?” I laughed. I couldn’t believe it. Lily knows Garrett? He was wearing a tux with a maroon tie and he didn’t look so bad himself.

“Lily and Trey are kind of close, and uh, she kind of decided to invite me as well. How do you know Lily?”

“She’s my first cousin,” I said, grinning.

“Well, what a coincidence then.” He looked down at his feet and rocked back and forth. It was cute how truly shy he was in public.

“Isabelle!” Someone called me from behind, and it was surprising that I could hear whoever it was, despite the classical music blaring from the speakers. If classical music could blare. Garrett mumbled incoherently, “Isabelle?” as I turned around to see my cousins Stan and Chris walking up to me.

“Stan! Chris!” I exclaimed, as I gave them a hug each. Stan was Lily’s brother, who was just older by two years. He shared her light blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, which covered a lot of his forehead. He was taller than me by about three inches or so. Chris was our cousin (his mom was my mom and Lily’s dad’s sibling) who inherited his father’s jet-black hair and sea green eyes.

“Call me Stanford. And call him Christopher. You can’t just give us nicknames like that,” Stan said, sternly. I don’t know since when these guys have become so mature and formal, but it was amusing. I giggled and then I heard Garrett cough behind me, probably unintentionally.

“Oh, who’s this, Isabelle?” Chris asked, his body slightly tilted to the left so that he could see who was behind me.

“Stanford, Christopher,” I started, enunciating their names. “This is Garrett. Garrett, Stan and Chris.” They exchange handshakes and hellos and then Stan and Chris gave me death glares.

“I’ll just uh, get going. I’ll be over there,” he said, pointing out to me which table he was going to be at. I watched him as he inched farther away from me.

“Isabelle’s got a special someone,” Stan said in a song-sing voice. He then snickered with Chris as I slapped his arm.

“No, I don’t.” Well, I do, but not Garrett. I had John. But then again, I don’t. I don’t know. I felt my cheeks go hot as they continued to laugh. Good thing though eight more of my cousins joined the group.

“Isabelle!” There was Zoey, Christopher’s younger sister; Peter and Phillip, twins of my mom’s other brother; Gabrielle, the twins’ younger sister; Jacob, the oldest of us cousins and his sister Sherridan; and Taylor and his younger brother Harry. A lot of names and people, I know.

“Hey, guys!” I gave each of them a hug and we then took a seat at the table. We got along pretty well and we were able to converse about anything since we were all either in high school, college or were working already.

All the guys already drifted off to talking about their own love lives and video games while Sherridan, Gabrielle, Zoey, Taylor and I were left to talk amongst ourselves.

“What course are you planning to take, Isabelle?” Sherridan asked. They were all in college already; only me and Lily were in high school.

“Well, probably I’ll go to interior design.”

“Where?” asked Taylor, leaning forward.

“Probably ASU, since I want to stay here.” I shrugged.

“But your you get high grades. How could you not want medicine or engineering or business or something?” Gabrielle asked. I was already used to this question. My parents, some teachers and some schoolmates asked me this.

“Well, I’ve always wanted to be an interior designer, Gabe.”

“It’s Gabrielle,” she said, pouting.

“What’s wrong with nicknaming?”

“We have to be all formal tonight,” Zoey explained, rolling her eyes.

“It was the birthday girl’s demand,” Tay said with a chuckle.

“I mean, she wants everything to be perfect. You only turn eighteen once,” said Sherridan. We all nodded in agreement when suddenly a person walked up to a glass podium on the stage. Yeah, just like in some celebrity awarding thing.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please settle down as we are about to start the program.” Everyone then went back to his or her proper seats and ceased talking. I noticed how there were about two hundred fifty guests in the room.

“Tonight we give a certain young lady the prestige and award of turning into adult,” the host said. He gave a brief overview of tonight and we watched a video of Lily’s “evolution” from her young self to what she was today.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Ms. Lily Anne Fedrow.”

Then the television screen divided into two, just like what you see from time to time in American Idol, to reveal Lily, in a beautiful lilac tube gown. Her dress was made of chiffon, but a layer of tulle enveloped it in such a way that it also draped over her left shoulder. The bottom half of the dress was pleated and the tulle flowed freely away from her. Flowers were sewn to it and it really suited Lily’s style. She was smiling like there was no tomorrow and looking around the ballroom to see who made it to her party. Her guests applauded and cheered as she sat on a comfortable-looking single-seat sofa. I could tell she was feeling like a princess and the look on her face said it all.

After a few more words, dinner started, simultaneously with Lily’s picture taking with each table of guests. Each table took turns in getting up for the picture and the buffet.

And soon enough my table finished eating and having the picture taking. Not to be boastful or anything, but Lily was more than happy to see me than anyone else.

“Isa, you came! I haven’t seen you in like a year!” Lily exclaimed, getting up from her chair. She pulled me into a tight hug and I laughed as I hugged her back.

“A simple hello would suffice,” Harry said expectantly. All the boys nodded in agreement. Lily went towards her seat of honor and waited for us to gather around her so that we can have the picture taken. When no one budged, she rolled her eyes, stood up and walked back to us.

“Fine, fine. Hello, all of you guys look stunning. Can we have the picture now?” Lily said, unenthused. Everyone snickered and we had many snap shots of us taken. We then sat back at our table.

Sooner or later the program started again. I watched as more videos made by her friends played. Some were actually very amusing. They were about all sorts of things – crazy versions of happy birthday, a “How To Act Like Lily” demonstration, animated pictures of Lily’s favorite celebrities that wished the best for Lily and said the funniest things, some compilations of videos of many memories Lily and her friends did and the list goes on. A group of her friends, including Trey, who was on the guitar, even performed her favorite song for her. It made me see how Lily was truly loved by her friends.

I glanced over at Garrett’s table. He was one of the few who were there, since I was guessing that Trey and his friends belonged to that table. He was smiling as he watched Trey play. It struck me that Garrett must really look up to his older brother when it came to music.

As I was caught up watching the performance, a lady with a clipboard came up to me.

“Isabelle Thames?” I nodded in return. “Please come with me. The eighteen candles will begin in a while.” I stood up and followed her to the side of the stage, feeling quite confused since I was still unprepared. She told me to stay put as I watched her and other people who were organizing the party tell other guests to line up behind me.

“Am I the first to make the speech?” I asked, when one of them was somewhat near me.

“Ms. Thames? Yes,” she said. Great. She gave me instructions on what to do on stage during the speech and I mumbled a thank you in return. I wasn’t particularly nervous about this speech. I’ve been used to speaking in public ever since I was in grade school, since teachers would assign me at times to make speeches or say words of enlightenment during honor assemblies and other important school gatherings. The only different thing though was that I did not prepare for this one and that I was just going to address Lily.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we will now begin the eighteen candles ceremony. Ms. Fedrow had chosen eighteen special guests to say a special dedication to her. Starting off is Ms. Isabelle Thames, her cousin.”

I carefully went up the stage, smiling as Lily grinned at me from her seat. I walked up to the glass podium and adjusted the microphone to the perfect level for me. I began my speech, my head directed at Lily.

“Hi Lily! I know it’s been a while since we’ve seen each other, but that doesn’t change the fact that I consider you as my best cousin. So…I guess I should start with a memory or something…” I trailed off, not knowing how to continue my speech. I racked my brain for any good things but ended up thinking about that pool incident where in she pushed me into the blue abyss. I sighed and gave up.

“I remember going to Lily’s house just so I could swim in her pool…” I trailed off once again and gave a short laugh, remembering what happened.

“You pushed me in the pool while I was minding my own business. I was walking around the pool, trying to get some sun block and out of the blue, you pushed me.” I saw her snicker at the memory while the audience bestowed upon me raised their eyebrows in confusion. This was a Lily-Isa moment so I doubt any of them would understand.

“I remember getting pissed at you then ignoring you for the rest of the week. Well, within that week of completely neglecting your existence, I had some sort of epiphany as touching as that sounds. I realized that you, Ms. Lily Anne Fedrow, are one terrible cousin.” She had feigned a shock expression over her face but I knew inside she was dying to laugh. We were that close. We knew what were talking about despite being so vague.

“You may push me around like I’m totally worthless and you may drag me into unwanted situations but I know that you will always remain that cousin who will always stick up for me no matter what. Sure you can prank me with your dear brother whenever you want to but mind these few words of inspiration.” I took a deep breath and glanced at Lily who was smiling from ear to ear. I giggled softly and looked back at her guests who were eagerly awaiting the message.

“Prestige is not the all-access path we dream of. It is one big fabrication that apparently we haven’t seen through just yet. If that was too long, then here’s a simpler version. There’s no easy way out.” I took another deep breath and smiled at my cousin and at her guests. I honestly didn’t know if what I said was even sensible or not but as long as I gave a speech, it was a good one right?

“So happy birthday, Lily. I wish you all the best,” I concluded, lighting up the first candle on the stand. The stands were at the right corner of the stage, lined up in two rows beside a table covered with gold cloth. Lily stood up and gave me a hug, thanking me genuinely before I descended the steps, back to my table. My other cousins gave me pats and nods of approval as I smiled back to them. We all listened as others gave their own dedications until the very last candle was lit up.

“Now, a few words from Ms. Fedrow.”

Lily stood up and made her way to the glass podium. She was too busy delivering her own speech for the guests to notice that people were setting up a cupcake tower on that table with gold cloth. I stifled a giggle. Oh, how Pat would love to eat all of them.

Lily gave her biggest thank you-s to her parents, all her guests, and everyone else who helped with the party. She explained how she came with the party and expressed how badly she wanted this since she was eight. She also invited all her guests to join ballroom dancing. I probably won’t though, even if my mom taught me well for this.

She gasped as she saw the cupcake tower on the table. Each cupcake was probably decorated with clapperboards, awards, stars and all sorts of celebrity or Hollywood-related stuff. On the top of the tower was a big pink star, which had Lily’s name in gold and a circular emblem with a microphone just below it.

We all then sang her a happy birthday and she blew out the eighteen candles beside the table. And soon Lily and her friends began to dance on the floor, waltz music playing from the speakers. A number of guests had already decided to leave as well, bidding farewell to Lily before doing so.

Wine and cocktails were starting to be served from waiters, too. I was perfectly fine with my glass of water though. I guess my male cousins weren’t in their case, since they began gulping down a glass or two each of wine with 12.5% alcohol. Stanford got up from his seat, surprisingly not tipsy at all.

“Come on guys, let’s dance,” he said. He formally asked Sherridan to dance and she just shrugged and followed him. Pretty soon I was the only one at the table, watching a lot of Lily’s guests dance and have the time of their lives. Who knew ballroom dancing could look so fun? Those who were not dancing were engaging themselves in conversations. I looked over to my parents, who were laughing off with my aunts and uncles. It didn’t seem like I was going home anytime soon.

“So Isa, tell me why you don’t want to dance.” I looked up to my right and saw my dear cousin Lily, with a smirk on her lips. I thought she would be caught up with dancing as of the moment, but apparently not.

“Because I don’t feel like,” I said crossing my arms.

“Come on, it’s my birthday! I’m gonna find someone who’s going to dance with you. Besides, you don’t really have to be an expert dancer to waltz around. I don’t even know how to dance like that! Go, stand up. Remember, there’s no easy way out,” she mocked, tugging me up with a smirk on her lips. I just groaned and complied, since it was her birthday anyway. Just as Lily grabbed my hand to drag me to the dance floor, someone called my name hesitantly and tapped my shoulder, causing me to turn around.

“Uh, Isa! Wait,” he said, fumbling with his fingers and looking down at the floor. I couldn’t help but to smile at how awkward he was. I managed to let go of Lily’s grasp and she moved over to my side. She was about to demand for an explanation when she saw Garrett standing in front of me, shifting his weight from one foot to another.

“Hi, Garrett!” Lily said giving him a bright smile.

“Hello,” he said, looking up at us.

“You wanted?” I asked, giving him a smile.

“I was, uh, going to ask… Do you want to, uh… dance?” He asked, his voice so small. His looked as if he was expecting a slap in the face or a punch, Lily nudged me in the elbow and I just ignored her.

“Sure, let’s dance,” I said, smiling at him. He grinned in return, his face getting slightly flushed and the three of us headed to the dance floor together.

“I’ll go look for someone to ask me to dance,” Lily said, winking at us when we reached a good spot on the floor. She then turned around and maneuvered herself in between other dancing couples, careful to not bump into them.

“So, uh, shall we?” Garrett said, hesitantly.

“Wait, you know how to dance?”

“Uh, let’s find out,” he said, that coming off more like a question. I nodded in agreement. He carefully put my hand on my back and I put my left hand on his upper arm. Our eyes met as he held my other hand and he quickly looked away to the floor. I giggled at uncomfortable he looked.

“One, two, three and…” And at his count we took off, moving like everyone else. I stepped back as he stepped forward and stepped forward as he stepped back and soon we started waltzing around the dance floor. We weren’t dancing like experts and professionals, but at least we weren’t bumping into anyone or stumbling. I could tell Garrett was as amazed as I was because of how we were moving in sync and at well we were doing. I kept my gaze at his face as he watched our feet move around the floor.

“Come on, Garrett, at least look at me while we dance. It’s making your partner feel very lonely as a matter of fact,” I said, teasingly pouting at him.

“Uh, sorry,” he said and then looked up to me, his blue eyes locking onto mine. I then gave him a smile and soon he returned it, his white teeth flashing at me. We just continued dancing, spinning around the dance floor along with everyone else, enjoying every bit of it.

Eventually the song came to a halt and we all stopped dancing, giving a round of applause. Garrett asked if I wanted to take a seat for a while and I gladly accepted it. Waltzing around in heels wasn’t a really easy thing to do. We made our way back as another song started to play and as people started dancing around again.

We got ourselves glasses of water and I led him to my still deserted table. Surprisingly, he pulled out a chair and told me to go sit to which I did.

“Why, thank you, Mr. Nickelsen,” I said, as he pushed my chair back a bit.

“You’re welcome,” he mumbled, giving a small smile as he took his own seat beside me.

“So who taught you how to dance?” I was curious. I mean, he was only in his sophomore year. He didn’t have to worry about prom and how to dance yet.

“Trey. And Mom too.”

“Well, they did a good job then.” I chuckled, taking a sip from my glass. I watched as the other guests danced the night away in their extravagant dresses and high heels. I was more than content sitting down with a glass of water in one hand, talking to Garrett. Well at least we were because now things have turned silent and Garrett wasn’t talking anymore. In fact, he was looking down and playing with his glass. He was swirling its contents every now and then before looking up at me with his striking blue eyes. They were mesmerizing and I already knew what kind of future this boy in front of me would have. Tons of girls would fawn over him and his band would make it big.

“Isa…?” I turned to Garrett who was looking at me straight in the eye. A little surprising since he doesn’t look at me straight in the eye. Usually he looks anywhere but me which was a little rude but I got used to it. He was a good kid.

“Yeah?”

“Why are you uh…smiling?” I blinked twice and looked at my reflection on the glass. I looked back at Garrett was awkwardly glancing from the dancing people to my stunned expression. I cleared my throat and placed my glass back on the table.

“Is it bad to smile?” I replied, a smirk tugging on my lips. He coughed and looked away, obviously finding the idea of me smirking repulsive. I think.

“No it’s not...” He mumbled silently. I barely heard him through the violins playing in the background. I smiled even more and playfully punched him on the shoulder, hoping he wouldn’t act all shy and nervous anymore.

“Then you should smile too! Come on Garrett, do one for me please?” I pouted on him, giving him the best puppy dog look I could do. He looked at me and rolled his eyes, scoffing at my failed attempt.

“Nah, I’ll pass.” Way to go Garrett, from being awkward to downright arrogant. I shrugged and continued drinking my beverage. Silence took over in the air and it wasn’t really uncomfortable. I was actually relieved of it.

Moments have passed and I was already at my third glass of water. Garrett remained across from me, not talking at all. I sighed and set the glass down. I opened my lip gloss stained mouth to start another conversation but I was rudely cut off.

“Excuse me, but may I have this dance?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Probably the longest chapter yet. 11 pages wooo. Haha, okay.

Thank you Aikkaaa!
I just realized how the Mibba links that we posted in our stories might not even work anymore because of the new Mibba layout. Probably will work on that sooner or later.

Thank you so much for the comment, majoji! You don't know how motivated we got when we saw it. We started questioning why the heck we were taking a writing break and all. It was very meaningful to us. I hope you and our other readers enjoyed this update. :)

Well, our so-called "break" ends on Monday. Though I have to say, it's like we never had a break anyway. Haha.

So, please comment and subscribe. Doing so really means a lot to us. :)
Oh and recommend, I guess? Woo.