My Best Friend's Brother

Chapter 3 Blake's Dilemma

~`Chapter3`~
Blake's Dilemma

“A number of human traits are controlled by a single gene with one dominant allele and one recessive allele.”

“I wonder what Jazmine brought us for lunch today.”

I thought, as I sat in science class twirling my pen in my hand. I could have been listening to the Crash CD on my phone. But, since that unfortunate event happened, with that unfortunate boy, I have to actually pay attention. Once every week Jazmine and I bring each other lunch. The School’s lunch is disgusting. One time we had chicken, and I could have swear it moved!

(*Ring! Ring!*)

“That’s all the time we have class see you next week.” said Mr. Lee

I grabbed my green backpack and walked out the classroom. I’m so glad it’s Friday. I’m going over Jazmine’s house for our monthly sleepover. I put my books in my locker and headed to lunch. I eat lunch with my band members. There’s Loni, Chelsea, Rachel, and Blake.

Loni had short black hair with neon blue streaks, dark brown eyes, and light brown skin. Rachel had long curly orange hair that was usually kept in a high pony-tail. Which made her look like she had a giant fire ball on top of her head and green eyes. Chelsea had short curled dark brown hair and blue eyes. She was originally a natural blonde but she dyed her hair.

Jazmine’s not part of the band but she sits with us every now and then, when she not hanging with the drama club. Jazmine was really into theater and acting, so she joined the drama club at our school. The drama kids were really weird and eccentric. I didn’t really talk to them much.

“What are you having for lunch today, Loni?” I asked.

Loni sat down and pulled out a McDonald’s bag from her purse.

“There’s nothing like fresh McNuggets.”

“Yum! I agree,” Rachel stole one of Loni’s nuggets.

“Hey!” She yelled.

The whole table laughed.

“Guys, Tony said we still need three more songs to complete the album.” Chelsea took a bite out of her sandwich.

Tony, our manager is Chelsea’s uncle. He used to be a record producer back in the day(before he turned fifty- nine.) He closed up his studio, but he lets us use it to record music. We are trying to make a full length album that we can send to record companies. I’m trying to get signed at least by my senior year. If our dream doesn’t happen, I have a back up plan. I might go into nursing, but as of right now music is my life.

We started the band in 7th grade. I’ve been leaning how to play to guitar since I was ten and singing since I was three. After I saw Crash in concert I knew I wanted to be a professional musician.

“Hey guys!” Jazmine walked in with a huge bag of goodies.

“What do you have today Jaz?” Rachel asked.

“My mom cooked Angie and I some Bulgogi (Grilled Marinated Beef) and rice.” Jasmine replied.

“Oh my gosh! Your mom’s the best!” I pulled out my fork and started eating. I finished the Bulgogi so fast you’d think I hadn’t eaten in days. I loved when Jazmine bought Korean food for lunch. At my house we don’t eat to much of international foods because me dad doesn’t like to try new things. So my mom my sis and I all have to sacrifice for his taste buds.

Jazmine finished her lunch and was wiping her mouth with a nearby napkin.

“I have to tell you something, Angie”

“What is it?” I hoped it was the secret she was keeping from me last Wednesday.

“Alex is back home…”

My happy smile suddenly turned into a disturbing frown.

“What!?” I shrieked.

I can’t believe her! How could she keep this from me!? Alex is Jazmine’s older brother, he’s a total nerd. He used to have a crush on me when I was eleven, and he’s super annoying. I hate him! He stole my favorite doll “ Sir Poopsy”. So I ran after him to get it back. It was very muddy that day, I tripped and fell in a huge mud puddle in my favorite outfit. I had mud all over me, my mom couldn’t get the stains out, so I had to throw it away.

I took a deep breath trying to hold back my anger. “So…when did he get here?”

“Last Wednesday….” Jazmine stopped making eye contact with me once again.

I shot up from the table. “WHY DID YOU KEEP THIS FROM ME!” I shouted. The whole cafeteria was silent, no one said a word. Everyone was staring at me, but I didn’t care. I stormed out the cafeteria; Jazmine was quick on my heels.

“Angie, wait!” she called.

Jazmine dashed out the cafeteria doors after me. She walked down the hall and spotted me sitting on a bench in the courtyard. She sat down next to me and put her hand on my shoulder. I stared at the ground for a couple of minutes so I could calm down. If I looked at Jazmine’s face then I would have tore her head off. I was just that pissed at her.
If you think that’s to harsh then oh well. I was furious at her. She was suppose to be my best friend and she kept one of the biggest secrets ever from me! If I had a brother who she hated, I would be the first one to tell her he’s back home. Especially if she was spending the night at my house.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked her.

She looked at me and sighed, “Cause I knew this would happen.”

“How did you know?” I questioned getting irritated by her statement.

“Because, you always get like this when it comes to Alex. If you got to know him, he’s really a nice-”

I rudely cut her off, “I don’t want to get to know him.”

I turned away from her, “And I don’t want to come over anymore either,”

Jazmine’s face fell, she put so much effort into making this sleepover one of our best yet. She wasn’t about to let it go to waste.

“Come on, We’re going to have so much fun!” She insisted.

“You don’t even have to talk to Alex. He probably won’t even be home; yah know he has a car now.” She smiled at me.

“Hmmmm…..” I thought.

“You can even sing your new song for me?”

“Sold!” I shouted.

“Yay!” Jazmine cheered.

“But, don’t keep secrets from me okay?”

“Deal!”

We hugged each other.

Meanwhile, after my dramatic exit out the cafeteria, everyone at our table just sat there for a minute and looked at each other. Finally, Loni broke the silence.

“Drama Queen,”

Everybody laughed except Blake. He had been mad for the entire week, no one had any idea why. He sat at the edge of the table and angrily scowled at the air. Every time someone tired to talk to him he didn’t say a word. I just assumed he was having one of his episodes again, but man was I wrong. I had never seen him this mad before in our whole entire friendship, this was a new side of Blake I had never seen before. For the record, it scared the crap out of me.

“What’s wrong with him?” Rachel whispered to Loni.

Blake sat at the table with his arms crossed looking like he just murdered someone. He overheard the girls talking and decided to confide in them. They are his best girlfriends after all.

“Justin Kenmore is back.” he groaned.

“Justin Kenmore?” Rachael gave him a puzzling look.

“I think that’s Alex Park’s best friend.” Chelsea answered.

“Jaz’s brother?” Loni inquired.

Blake nods as he continues to stare a hole into the air.

“What about him?” Rachael asks.

The angry brown haired boy sighed, “Before he left for California with Alex he made out with Jazmine.”

“What?” The three of them shouted.
******************************************
Flash Back 5 years earlier…..

“Hurry up or we’re going to miss the plane!” Jazmine yelled as we dashed into the airport.

Jazmine slept over my house the night before and my mom made us late to air port. She had to drop off my sister at her dance recital. Alex and Justin’s plane was about to leave in exactly thirty minutes.

“Where’s Blake?” I asked.

“His mom wouldn’t give him a ride.” Jazmine replied.

“That’s to bad, we we’re supposed to hang out today.”

We ran past the check out counter and jumped over thousands of suitcases. Then we approached the customer service desk. Their was a women with short brown hair present. She had green eyes and wore cherry red lipstick. The women was reading a seventeen magazine, she looked like she could careless about doing her job.

“Excuse me miss, where is the departure place for the 2pm flight to California?” I asked.

The women looked up at me and groaned, “Let me check the computer.”

It took her about ten minutes to figure out how to find the exit times.

“She must be new..” Jazmine whispered to me.

“Here it is! You should go to exit 243. Sorry for the wa-”

We ran off before she even finished the rest of her sentence. The women had wasted ten minutes of our time. I called back to thank her as we hurtled threw the busy crowds of the airport. When we arrived at the exit the boys were waiting for us by the loading doc.

Meanwhile, Blake just arrived at the airport. He lied to us and said he couldn’t find a ride. He really wanted to surprise Jazmine. He bought her a hug stuffed bunny, this was going to be the day he confessed to her. Jazmine loved bunnies she would have bought one as a pet if Alex wasn’t allergic to pets. That boy had more allergies than I had CDs. (My music collection takes up half of my room.)

Alex looked at me and blushed, You could see his eyes widen through his thick glasses, as soon as he saw me. I took one look at him and shivered in my pink Air Jordan’s. Alex has had a crush on me ever since our parents made him escort me in the Little Miss Denver Pageant in 3rd grade. I was quite the pageant queen in my youth. I won about four trophies. It wasn’t to much wrong with the boy, he had an average looking face. He wore glasses that were almost to big for his head. He always wore turtle necks, polo’s and sweater vest. Alex was super annoying and allergic to everything that moved. He couldn’t even use band-aids, they gave him a discussing rash!

Alex always tried to help me, even when I didn’t want or need his help. One time he tried to help me finish my science project that he ended up breaking. Even though he repaired it for me, I still got a C instead of the B+ I was striving for. Alex frequently tried to sit next to me when him, Justin, Jazmine and I went on outings together. Life was so difficult when he was around.

Jazmine hugged her big brother, “I’m going to miss you.” she cried. She buried her face into his shoulder as Alex softly patted her head.

“You too,” Alex smiled.

Justin and I looked at them and smirked.
“What a wonderful family moment.” Justin teased.

“Shut up!” they shouted.

Justin whispered something in Alex’s ear and the next thing I knew he was dragging me away from the rest of the group.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

Alex’s face turned red, “I have something to tell you.”

Jazmine frowned at Justin as she folded her arms.

“Why isn’t Jessica here to see you off?”

“Why does she have too?” he question her.

“Why wouldn’t she? Since you’re dating and all!” her eyes started the water.

Justin looked down at his shoes with his hands in his pockets and shrugged.

“I broke up with her.”

Jazmine’s tear-filled eyes grew large. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard.

“Why?”

There was anger present in Justin’s blue eyes. He glared at her with clenched fist.

“How could I continue to date her when I knew it was hurting you like this?”

Jazmine groaned, “ You didn’t have a problem with it when you were tonguing her down at Alex’s birthday party.”

“I’ve been thinking about what you said lately and I think I may actually have some feelings for you.”

Alex dragged me across the hallway to the food court.

“Don’t you have to leave soon?” I asked.

He pushed me to a table in the corner of the food court.

“This will only take a minute.”

We sat across from each other at the table. He grabbed my hand and placed it on his right cheek.

He sighed in relief. “Oh my fair Angelina,”

“It’s Angie,” I corrected.

“I know I haven’t always been the man you wanted me to be…”

I gave him a puzzled look, “Are you delusional? You’re barley thirteen.”

Alex suddenly stood up and placed his finger on my lips.

“Shhhh…You don’t have to say a word. I already know your crazy about me. When I return to you my love, I promise to be the man of your dreams!”

He winked at me and marched proudly back to the exit. I shook my head, “What is wrong with that kid?” I thought

“I can’t wait to give Jaz this bunny,” Blake thought to himself as he strolled to exit 243. When he arrived at the exit he dropped his gift in horror. Tears formed in his light brown eyes. Justin pulled Jazmine into him and kissed her. It lasted about 10 seconds. The two abruptly stopped when Alex and I were insight. Blake’s heart was shattered.”
End of flash back…..
***************************************

“I feel so sorry for you,” Chelsea cried as she wiped tears from her eyes.

Blake frowned at her statement.

“So that mean’s Angie and Alex don’t know either?” Loni asked.

He shook his head.

“I think it’s best to keep this problem a secret for now.” Rachel advised.