Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Twenty Six

“So Aria, tell us about yourself.” Justin said when the waitress had taken drink orders. He crossed his arms and stared at her.
“There’s not much to tell. I’m going to college for psychology, and I met Vic there when they played a show.”
“Did he take you hostage? He’s tiny, you could take him.” Kellin told her, grinning at her, then gave her a light jab with his elbow.
“She came on her own free will actually.” Mike told them, fiddling with the pack of cigarettes he had in his pocket.
“What kind of psychology are you going for?” Gabe asked. His smile was warming and Aria knew immediately she liked Gabe. He leaned back easily in the chair, his arm resting on the back, a lazy grin on his face as he studied her.
“Uhm, just general right now, hoping to get into counseling psychology though. Maybe fix some of these brains I’m around.” She grinned as Gabe laughed.
“Speaking of brains.” Kellin said, trailing off and digging into his pocket for his phone.
“Here we go.” Justin sighed from the other side of Kellin.
“Oh let him. He’s proud.” Jack laughed. Kellin held up a finger for them all to be quiet, then all but dragged Aria’s face near to his and his phone.
“Have you ever seen a cuter baby?” Kellin all but squealed, scrolling through the pictures of Copeland he had.
“I haven’t.” She smiled. Vic leaned over her to look also. Mike rolled his eyes and grabbed the phone from Kellin.
“Let the godfathers see.” He said as the others huddled around Mike. Kellin turned back to Aria.
“Do you want kids?” Kellin asked. Aria shrugged and looked down at her hands, which were placed on her lap.
“I don’t know. Maybe one day when I’m ready, and if I’m with the right guy.” Aria answered.
“Smart girl.” Kellin said, taking a sip of coffee the waitress had put down in front of him, then motioned at the waitress. “I’m really sorry, but I’m really hungry. Is the food almost done?” He asked, a smile creeping onto his lips.
The waitress faltered for a moment, staring at the group of them as a whole, realizing now that the whole group was a large group of attractive males, plus one female. “Uh, yeah, it’ll be soon.” She stammered, the tripped as she walked away.
“God Kellin, leave the poor girl a tip.” Jesse told him. Kellin shrugged, grinning widely.
“I can’t help that people can’t resist my face, right Aria?” He nudged her and winked at Vic. “I’m playing. I have a daughter. And I’m getting married. My wife is so perfect.” Kellin’s eyes glazed over a little and then he refocused on the group. “Tony! Tell me about your life.” He said.
Vic slid his hand onto Aria’s thigh and slid it down to take her hand in his. He gave it three squeezes and then let go. Aria grabbed it back, gripping it tightly within her fingers. She could feel his callouses from playing the guitar and the worn down skin. She closed her eyes then, running her thumb along the edge of his palm, realizing she was falling in love with him. Vic gave her a slight nudge and she opened her eyes to see a huge plate of food in front of her.
“You good?” Vic asked, leaning closer to him. Aria met his eyes and felt her heart melt. She nodded in response and let go of Vic’s hand. She looked over at Kellin, who gave a light, knowing smile. Aria felt her heart plummet, but Kellin turned to his pancakes without saying a word and dug in.
The conversation dulled as everyone began eating. Aria paused her food around for a moment, then excused herself, heading outside. She leaned against the wall and sighed deeply. She heard the door open and two voices. A shadow fell across the sun, sending Aria’s sight into darkness. She opened her eyes to see Kellin and Mike looming over her. Mike smiled and leaned in closer and Aria lurched away.
“Cigarette?” He offered, holding out his pack of smokes. Aria accepted, taking the lighter he offered also. She lit it and exhaled, then looked at Kellin.
“So?” She said to him. “You obviously didn’t come out here to smoke like Mike did.” She said as Mike wandered off, flicking the lighter to light his cigarette and grumbling all the while. She inhaled deeply then, watching the embers flare up.
“You are smart.” He said, leaning away from her as Aria exhaled a cloud of smoke away from him. “So…you and Vic.”
“Me and Vic.” Aria repeated, flicking ash.
“Yup. So, you love him.”
“Excuse me?”
“You do, I know you do. I can see it in your face.” Kellin answered, then stretched. “Nothing to be ashamed of. Love is a beautiful thing.”
“Love doesn’t exist.” Aria heard herself saying as she took another drag on the cigarette. “There is no such thing because two people cannot be around each other that much.”
“You can’t really believe that.” Kellin said, leaning against the wall next to her. Aria shrugged and dropped the cigarette onto the ground, stubbing it out with her foot before picking it up and tossing it away. “I mean, look at you and Vic, and me and Katelynn. I mean, we have Copeland and everything and we’re still together.”
“What are you getting at? That me and Vic are going to fall madly in love and have Copelands?”
“Nope.” Kellin answered, pushing off the wall as Vic came out. “You’re already there.” With that, he walked away. Vic walked over, looking at Aria with a puzzled expression on his face.
“What’s he talking about?” He asked. Aria shrugged and stood up straight, folding her arms over her chest and moving the snapback she wore so it didn’t fall into her face as much.
“I wish I knew.” She sighed, leaning against Vic’s shoulder. She felt his hands slide around her waist and she stepped into his chest, breathing in his smell. “Dammit.” She said, her voice muffled.
“Hm?” He asked, moving back a little so he could see her.
“Nothing, my feet just cramped.” Aria said quickly. “I’m going to go back inside to finish eating, ok?” She kissed him softly on the cheek and headed back inside.
“Mike.” Vic said, flagging down Mike as he headed back inside. “What were Aria and Kellin talking about?”
“Something about Copeland and you.” Mike answered. “I was a little far away, so I didn’t hear everything.” Mike took in his brother’s worried face. “Relax. I don’t think its anything bad.”
“I suppose you’re right.” Vic muttered, then followed Mike back into the restaurant.
♠ ♠ ♠
God. I feel like I am such a bad writer. I think these stink...

Whatever. Enjoy I guess...