Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Twenty Seven

That night, Aria looked at her phone which was charging next to her. Vic slept on the other side of her, one arm draped around her waist, fingers brushing her skin. Her phone read three thirty. Aria sighed and untangled herself from Vic’s arm and slid out of bed. She opened the door, heading out into the main room. Jaime was on the couch, stretched out and watching a movie. He looked over when Aria shut the bedroom door.
“Hey Ar. What are you doing up?” He asked. Aria shrugged and Jaime sat up, giving Aria room to join him.
Aria shrugged again, leaning back on the couch. “I could ask you the same thing.”
“I couldn’t sleep.” Jaime replied, his eyes flicking to her. “Which is why, I assume, you’re up.” Aria shrugged in response again.
“I have a lot on my mind.” She finally said, crossing her legs on the couch.
“Want to talk about it? I won’t tell anyone.” Jaime made an X over his heart. “Promise.” Aria thought for a moment, watching the TV flicker.
“I think I’m in love with Vic.” Aria finally said. Jaime glanced at her quickly, then turned and stared at her.
“And this is causing you emotional strife why?” He asked suspiciously. “You two are dating, and he obviously either likes you a lot, or maybe even loves you right back.”
“Love isn’t real.” Aria replied. Jaime laughed then and shook his head.
“You’re kidding me, right? Look around you Aria.” Jaime gestured around him. “There’s love everywhere. Kellin and Katelynn, for example. Or Vic and Mike’s parents. My parents. Come on Aria. Love is real.”
“Or maybe they’re afraid that they’ll be alone.” Aria replied, realizing she was wrong.
“Everyone is afraid of being alone. There is not a single person who isn’t. That’s why there’s love. To show people they will never be alone. That’s what love is. And you and Vic, you have it. Accept it.”
“The last time I loved someone they hurt me. Physically and emotionally. Everyone I have ever loved has hurt me.” Aria snapped.
“Love is just you giving that person that power, and hoping they don’t use it.” Jaime explained patiently.
“Maybe. And if Vic hurts me?”
“He’d hurt himself before ever hurting you.” Jaime said softly. Aria felt tears suddenly pricking her eyes, realizing Jaime was right. Vic would never hurt her. She loved him.
“And what if I hurt him?” She asked shakily. “I get scared. I start running.” Aria felt the couch shift and Jaime’s arm go around her shoulder. She leaned against him, glad for the support.
“Don’t be scared.” He whispered. Aria let out another shaky sob and felt Jaime pull her into his arms, holding her. “You don’t have to run from him or be afraid of him. He will never hurt you the way whats his dick did.” Aria nodded against his chest.
“Can I ask whats going on here?” A voice asked from next to the couch. Aria looked up to see Vic looking at them, arms crossed. Aria pulled away from Jaime and opened her mouth, unable to say anything.
“Aria had a bad dream and didn’t want to wake you up.” Jaime lied.
“So she woke you up.” Vic clarified.
“No, I was already up. She wandered out here. I was watching a movie because I couldn’t sleep. Aria came in and she just needed someone to talk to and cry on.”
“I’m feeling a little overemotional. And you seemed really tired. I was just planning on coming out for a drink, but then Jaime was up and asked me if I was ok and, yeah.” Aria finished lamely. Vic looked unconvinced, but held his hand out to Aria.
“You want to come back to bed then?” He asked. Aria nodded, taking his hand and following him into the bedroom. She curled herself into Vic when they were both laying down, resting her hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat.
“Aria.” Vic said into the darkness, his voice low. He wrapped his hand around hers, clasping it firmly. “Were you telling the truth back there?”
“No…” Aria sighed. Vic let go over her hand then. “Vic, listen.”
“Why don’t you just go back to Jaime.”
“Vic…”
“No.”
“Vic, dammit. Listen to me.” Aria hissed, she met his eyes in the dark. “I was not out there cuddling with Jaime or anything. Jaime is like a brother to me. Just like Mike and Tony. We were talking about you, me. Us, I suppose.” Vic remained silent, watching her. “I’m falling in love with you. Wait, no, I’m already there. I’m in love with you Vic and it scares me so much.”
“So you went to Jaime.”
“Yes and no. I was just talking to him and the next minute, I was so scared because I realized how much I loved you and how afraid I was of being hurt again.”
“You are aware of the fact that I would never hurt you, right? I would kill myself for before hurting you.”
“Don’t say that.” Aria said as Vic found her hand again.
“Well its true. I don’t want to hurt you. And you afraid of loving me? Aria, I’ve been in love with you for the moment you said hello to me. I loved you the night I snuck into your room, and the first night you spent here, and when I thought you loved someone else. Sorry to tell you this Aria, but I’m in love with you, whether you like it or not.”
“Say it again.” Aria breathed, creeping closer to him.
“Like it or not.” Vic smiled.
“That’s not what I meant.” Aria frowned, wrapping her legs around him.
“I love you.” He whispered, turning onto his side and pulling her tightly against him. He kissed her cheek, then her lips, savoring the way she tasted.
“Again.” Aria whispered.
“I love you.” Vic repeated. Aria smiled, pressing her forehead to his and breathing out. She closed her eyes, feeling Vic’s breath on her face as she drifted off.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize fifty million times. I fucked up on the chapters. I can't count, or remember things. Ugh. Twentyfive is now there. I'm so sorry