Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Feel More Pain than Him

“Miss come with me, please.” I was tugged away from the bloody library, all the while still staring at my deceased friend.
“Tristis?” my maid called to me once I was in my room and sitting on the bed. “Tristis, you need to get up and change.”
I sat emotionless; still in my trance. The bells outside charmed and shattered my trance bringing me back to reality. “Where am I?” I whispered as I looked around the room still slightly out of it.
“In your room. You need to change your clothes or you will get sick.” She said soothingly as she ushered me to the changing room. She filled the tub with warm water, helped me into it, and got me clean clothes to wear. I soaked in the water, watching as the clarity of it turned pink as blood dripped off of me.
*So much blood. Man that dude can bleed.* I laughed to myself before tears once again ran down my cheeks and fell into the red water. I stayed in the tub until the water grew cold, then I stepped out, grabbed a towel, and stood in the morning light. After soaking in the warmth I dried myself and got dressed.
Once I composed myself, I walked out and was greeted by my maid. “Tristis! Are you okay?”
“Yes, I am now. Thank you.” I smiled gently to ease her worry.
“They, the guards, want to talk to you. If you follow me I will take you to them.” I nodded and followed her out the door. “I’m sorry you had to see all that. You must have been there for a while with all the blood that covered you.” She shivered at the memory of me soaked in the red fluid. “Do not let them get to you. They suspect you, but remember to just be honest.” She smiled as she opened a door and motioned for me to enter. “Good luck.” I nodded and then walked in. There I met Carson, two interrogators, and four guards. I noticed the guard from before and smiled at him, and in return he nodded a greeting.
“Hello, Tristis. How are you?” Carson smiled, showing no hint of sadness.
“How do you think I’m doing considering I just had a man die in my arms?” I shot at him, my eyes narrowing.
“Yes, I guess that was a stupid question to ask.” He laughed to himself.
“And you? You look just fine even though your father just died.”
“I must be strong. I cannot break down now. What of my people? How would they feel if they saw their soon to be king crying like a child?” I merely grunted a response. *True, that would cause problems, however it is okay to feel some sadness. Which sir, you have no trace of, not even in your eyes.*
“Sir.” One of his men interrupted. “We must ask what happened.”
“Ah yes, we cannot forget that. Thank you.” He turned to another guard and ordered, “Get a chair and place it in the middle. Now my dear Tristis,” I jerked away as he tried to grab my arm, “You are going to be questioned by these two men. Just relax and be honest. See you soon, my dear.” He grinned as he left the room.
*Why does he have to say “my dear”? The way he says it sickens me.* I walked to the chair and sat waiting for this to end.
“Why were you in the library last night?!” one of the interrogators barked.
“What happened?!” the other one shouted.
“Why did you not go get someone!?”
“Did you kill King Lucas?!”
The bombardment of questions were thrown at me one right after the other. I had no chance to answer, so I stayed quiet until they were done. Or that was my plan; however when I was accused of killing him I finally spoke up.
“I bet you murdered him! Admit it and your punishment may be less severe!”
“ENOUGH!” my voice vibrated through the room, silencing the two interrogators. Shock shone in their eyes. “Don’t accuse me when you know nothing of the event. I have no reason to harm him, he was the kindest person to me. This is what happened so listen up because I’m only telling it once.”
“I had a nightmare and wanted to take a walk. I saw the library door ajar so I went in and--“ I broke off trying to recompose myself. “I found King Lucas on the floor bleeding. I went over to him and he told me what happened. I went to get someone, but he stopped me… he wanted someone to be with him when he d-died. He knew he didn’t have much time and he didn’t want to be alone, so I stayed with him. Soon after he died in my arms.” I went silent, signaling I was done with my statement.
“Why would he choose someone like you to stay with him?”
“Cuz who else was there? Who else was awake? If you were dying and all you had was limited amount of time and there was only one other person with you, wouldn’t you want them to stay with you?”
“Well… he would not have wanted that. He is not the kind of person to just give up.”
“Could you have stopped the bleeding? If you did, could you keep infection from taking over and also resulting in a more painful death? Half that blood was already there by the time I found the King, there was nothing anyone could do. He accepted his fate and I was merely there to keep him company as he faded.” The room was quiet and I waited bored. *So they have nothing to say.* I smirked at how quiet they were. *They have nothing, so let me go. They just want me gone, out of this castle. I’m a hindrance, but why?*
I got up and started walking out. “Where are you going?! We are not done here!” an interrogator yelled.
With only a slight turn of my head I replied, “You don’t need me. You have my story and if you need me any further I stay in this castle, you can find me. But I have a meeting to go to, therefore I bid you men farewell for now.” Then I exited without looking back. I walked a bit more before turning a corner and leaning against the cold wall. I breathed heavily as I tried to calm the black sadness in my soul. I clutched at my chest and tried to regulate my breathing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Tris. Comment and Enjoy!