Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

The Fight is Coming

I woke the next morning to the castle being eerily quiet. *This can’t be good.* I quickly dressed and went downstairs to find everyone in the great hall. “What’s going on?” I asked as I approached Carson.
“Ah, Tristis. How are you?” he draped an arm over my shoulders.
“Depends, what’s going on?” I asked as I slid out from under him.
“I had a meeting with everyone to tell them what I’ve decided to do.”
“And that is?”
“After I announce the sad departure of my father...” I noted how he was not sad at all over his father’s death. “We will have his funeral in two day's time, same day as my coronation, and then I will go to “meet” with King Abel to discuss the peace treaty.”
“You mean to stop the peace treaty and declare war on him.” I stated it as a fact, not a question.
“You are an insightful one, my dear.” He laughed in delight.
“Your father’s rolling in his grave right now because of what you are planning to do!”
“Impossible, he is not buried yet.” He laughed harder at his own joke as I rolled my eyes in disgust.
“You know what I mean, Carson.”
“My father was too peaceful. If it weren’t for me this kingdom would have fallen to King Abel long ago.”
“I doubt that.” once again he laughed at what I said, although his eyes were saying something else. At the time, however, I did not know what.
“So will you fight for me, warrior maiden?”
“Are you stupid?” the hall went silent, all astonished I just said that to the king. “Why would I fight for you?”
“So you will fight for him, our enemy?” his voice held a challenging note.
“No. I fight for no one; I’m Switzerland.” He raised an eyebrow, not understanding my analogy. “Never mind. What you are planning is not well thought out and only shows how much you thirst for blood.”
“No, my dear. They are evil people who only want our land. They’ll betray us once the Peace Treaty is signed! Who says Aye!?”
Almost everyone yelled in agreement. I looked around and sighed. *Damn, he’s poisoned their minds and made them believe that King Abel is evil. I bet he wants peace as much as Hitler wanted peace.* I shook my head in disappointment as I turned to leave.
“Where are you going, my love?” Carson called over the roar of the crowd.
“Out of here. I want no part of your ridiculous plan.” I then sprinted out of the hall, out of the castle, and into the waking village. I kept running, avoiding anyone who crossed my path. I ran all the war to the forest line and finally stopped under a pair trees. Although I knew I should not and the trees sure did not deserve it I still punched full force at the trunk. It vibrated and a few leaves fell, but I stood there with my fist still on the tree.
“What did that tree ever do to you?” Vātēs asked as he walked up beside me and grabbed my arm. I growled but did nothing more; anger stilled bubbled in me. “Let me see your hand.” I still did not move, it was like I was made of stone. “Please, Tristis, your hand is bleeding.”
I growled once again at him; this time louder and more threatening. *I want to be left alone; why can’t he see this!*
“Tristis Infidelis Nox! Give Me Your Hand Now!” he never raises his voice at me, he was always gentle. And no one, and I mean no one, ever called me by my full name. Too surprised to know what I was doing, my hand automatically went to his. “Thank you.” He muttered as he examined my knuckles.
We both remained silent as he washed and wrapped my hand. I winced at the pain, but I never whimpered or cried out. As he worked I felt ashamed and foolish at my behavior just now. *I shouldn’t have growled, I’m so stupid. He’s must be pissed at me.* I was about to talk, but Vātēs beat me to it.
“You are done. Put ointment on it when you get back to the castle.” He turned and started to leave.
“I’m sorry!” I shouted at his retreating form. “I… I won’t be at the castle much longer. I mean, I’m leaving tomorrow morning.”
He stopped, but did not turn. “Why?”
“…I need to go… go to King Abel’s kingdom.” Vātēs remained silent and waited for a further explanation. “Carson plans on not signing the Peace Treaty and declaring unnecessary war. I need to warn Abel and try to stop it.”
“You do not Need to Do anything. For once you could sit back and wait.”
“You know damn well I can’t do that, that isn’t me. No matter what I’m going to help any way I can.”
Vātēs sighed and turned to face me. “What do you plan to do? You tattoos are already very light.”
I gazed down at my arm and replied, “I’m going to leave at sunrise and travel to Abel’s court to talk to him.”
“If he does not want to see you?”
I grinned with mischief glittering in my eyes. “He’ll see and hear what I have to say. He’ll ultimately have the choice, but I’m going to tell him what I know first.”
Vātēs remained silent for a moment before saying, “I will not be able to come with you. Last night I was summoned back to Lexicon.”
“But you just got here.”
“I know, but it sounded urgent. I’m sorry.”
I sighed. *I’m alone again… *“When are you leaving?”
“Sunset.”
“I see. Have you checked out yet?”
“No.”
“Then let’s go, I have to get supplies anyway.” We walked quietly into the village and seamlessly merged with the crowd. We first went to the tavern to check Vātēs out.
♠ ♠ ♠
DO you think Carson actually likes Tris?