Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

They Missed That Detail?

As I was lacing my boots there was a knock on the door. “Come in.” I looked up to see Anita inching the door open. “Good morning Anita.”
“You mean after noon.” She laughed. I took at her appearance and for the first time actually believing she was a princess. Her long hair cascaded down in waves with two braids on either side, and she wore a cobalt blue kirtle under a forest green Sulis dress. Around her neck was a silver choker with a blue gem in the middle and a knotted silver circlet resting on her head.
“You look beautiful.” I marveled as I stood up from the bed.
“You pull off the male outfit quite well, Tristis. Not many females probably could or try too.” She laughed. “Well, I am here for another reason outside of trading fashion sense. Lunch is about to be served if you wish to join us.”
“Yes please!” I cheered. I walked over to my bag, grabbed my boot knives, and offered my arm to Anita. “Shall we, Princess?” I grinned.
Anita giggled and took my arm. “We shall.” We walked out the door and walked forward. “You do realize we are going in the wrong direction, right?”
“We are taking the scenic route of course!”
“Oh of course, silly me.” By the time we walked into the dining hall we were laughing at the grand adventure of me escorting her through a castle I knew nothing about.
“Ladies, what took you so long?” King Able asked with a pinch of concern.
“We got lost a few times trying to find the hall.” I replied as a seat was pulled out for me next to Anita.
“I thought we were taking the scenic route to the hall?” Anita gave a sly smile with a raised eyebrow.
“That too of course.” I smiled back.
“Well, now that you have joined us, we may start the meal.” King Able raised his hand to signal the ready. Copious amounts of food was brought forth and placed on the table. “Lady Tristis,” I looked to the King. “May I introduce to you Master Luke Bane, his wife Lady Lucile Bane, Master Cole Haron, Lady Izra Haron, their son Young Master Nicolai Haron, Master Jasper Cast, Lady Moira Cast, their two daughters Lady Isabelle Cast, and Lady Cynthia Cast, Master Jonathan Hart, his son Young Master Robert Hart, and his daughter Lady Rayna Hart.” He pointed to each one as he introduced them. Save for the last family, the look of disgust or hunger in each person’s eyes burned holes through me.
“Hello everyone, I am Tristis Nox, it is a pleasure to meet all of you.” I nodded to them as elegantly as I could. They each nodded back, most of them half heartedly. The lunch began and a murmur of conversation settled over the table as people caught up with each other. I ate quietly observing the people around me; I wanted to know how aristocrats acted around each other and the royals. I gave a small, almost inaudible laugh at how similar this meal was to the last time I ate with higher ups.
“Miss Nox, I hear you saved our princess from some rebels.” I turned to see the kind eyes of Jonathan.
“Please Master Hart, call me Tristis or Tris.” I smiled at him. “And I did help out An- Princess Anita. I must say though, if need be, she can take care of herself.”
“Is that right?” Jonathan asked intrigued.
“Quite, she put many of those men in their places.”
“I am glad to hear that she can take care of herself.”
“Woman should not fight, it is unsightly.” Lucile sneered, “Of course I am glad you were able to protect yourself from those nasty men, Princess.” She quickly amended. “But generally women should stay out of the field.”
“I agree, women would be just a distraction.” Cole piped in.
“Why do you say that?” I asked with a cocked head.
“They are delicate creatures and having that much stress is bad for their health.” He replied.
“If women can go through childbirth or survive their monthly, I believe women are capable of handling the ‘stress of fighting’ just like any man.” I calmly shot, receiving shorts laughs from a few of the guests who tried to cover it up with a cough.
“My word, such language!” Lucile cried.
“Language? I am merely stating a fact that most women go through and if they can go through that, I believe they can handle a battle.”
“What would you know of the trials of being a woman?” Izra glared.
“I may have never had a child, but I’m not unaccustomed to the woes of being female.” I stared at her.
“What are you saying?” Confusion not only crossed over her face, but most of the others. *What are they so confused about? Didn’t they hear the ‘ladies’ and ‘Lady” at the beginning of the mean?*
Jonathan cleared his throat and answered for me, “I believe Miss Tristis is say that she is a female.”
“Wait, they don’t know I’m a woman?” My head shot to Anita who looked almost as surprised as me.
“Apparently not, my dear.” Jonathan said with a small laugh.
“Oh, well that’s embarrassing.” I could feel a renewed sense of judging from around the table.
“Do not worry about them,” He leaned in closer and whispered, “They are nothing more than pompous asses.” I started silently laughing. “Feeling better?” He grinned.
“Yes, thank you.” I smiled at him and finally looked at him. I could tell he was a nice fellow and for a 40 something year old he was quite attractive; the grey in his hair adding to his features. “So Master Hart, what do you do?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Apparently I made some of these people quite stupid... my bad. But I don't like them so it's okay. Please don't think that I believe all aristocrats are dumb, I don't. Well, cheers!