Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Gossip Topic?

Please call me, Jonathan. I am in the weaponry business for the king.”
“Really?” I was intrigued.
“Yes, every weapon you see the soldiers or king holding was made by my company. We also create the shields, but I mostly specialize in the weapons.”
“I would love to try one of your daggers or swords.”
“You like them?” He arched an eyebrow.
“Oh yes, the art of weapons have always fascinated me. I’m not one for killing, but weapons hold a story and beauty you can’t get anywhere else. If you add a beautifully crafted weapon to the art of fighting, it could be the most magnificent thing to behold ever.”
“You are correct in that. The balance between weapon and fighting is very important and if someone masters both they would not only be deadly, but a marvelous sight to see.” His eyes sparkled with life and understanding of the balance.
“I think it is wrong for a woman to even consider fighting.” Isabelle huffed in distaste.
“Then you’ve never held a weapon before?” I asked annoyed.
“No never!”
“Oh but you have held one; anything can be a weapon in the right circumstance. Those sewing needles you use? Place them on a pressure point and that person is out like a light. You shouldn’t judge something before you’ve given it a chance.” I can’t take this anymore, they are worse than King Lucas’ company. “If you’ll excuse me, King Lu-Able, I wish to see how Aries is doing.” I pushed back my seat and stood.
“You may go, Lady Tristis. I will see you later today.” I nodded and hurried out of the hall. After getting lost a few times I finally made it to the stables. I whistled a tune and Aries immediately answered. “Hello Aries, how are you today?” He nuzzled me in reply. “You ready for some freedom?” He eagerly neighed and I lead him out to the pastures. Once he was free, he trotted over to Anita’s horse and nuzzled her. *Awww I’ve been ditched for one of his own. No Fair!* I sighed in defeat and turned to leave. *Have fun my friend.* I wandered around until I was too bored to think and headed out into the town. I walked the streets like I was invisible and was glad to be, I was tired of how different I was. This place was not for me but I had a mission and was going to see it through.
I walked into a nearby tavern to see what it had to offer. I ordered some ale and took a seat at an empty table. I watched the people mill about; coming and going. I didn’t stay long because it brought back memories I was in no desire to remember. The memories of the Four Leaf made the reality of the situation all too real and painful. *Stop getting close Tris, all it does is cause pain… yet being alone is just as painful. I can’t win.* I shook my head and left. *This isn’t me.* I scratched my head unable to keep my feelings under control. Giving up on trying to distract myself, I headed back to the castle for some company.
“Welcome back, Miss Tristis.” Thorton greeted as I walked through the kitchen.
“Hello, Master Thorton.” I sat down at a table in the kitchen, watching him make the dinner.
“What is wrong?” He asked without looking at me.
“What do you mean?”
“I can feel that something is wrong.” He smiled back at me.
“Can’t hide it, can I?” I chuckled. “I don’t belong here. I like Anita enough and King Able, but I was never one for dealing with aristocratic people. I don’t mean to butt heads, but I can’t fight how I feel! I mean I fight, don’t wear skirts, talk weird, I’m not even from here! And yet as a guest I should play nice, but I seem to be lacking in that area. I can get along with almost anyone yet put me in a room with people with high statuses and I freak, make mistakes.”
“I’ll give you something about those people… they be ones with sticks up their asses. Pay them no head, Miss Tristis, just be you.” He suggested soothingly.
“I guess, well I best be off.” I gave him a side hug and headed to find people I knew. I heard voices coming from a small sitting room and headed to see who it was. I first saw Anita and went to get close when I heard her laugh. I slowed down and peered in only to see her laughing with some young man. He held her hand and kissed it with genuine feelings gleaming in his eyes. *Ah love, one of the strongest emotions a person can feel.* I turned and left to go back to my room.
“Miss Tristis.” I looked to my right to find Jonathan’s son and daughter walking towards me.
“Hello Master Robert, Lady Rayna.” I greeted.
“Care to join us for a walk?” Rayna asked.
“Sure, are you staying for dinner?” I asked as we started the walk towards the outside.
“Yes, we are. I am excited to finally speak with you!” She smiled with true happiness on her lips.
“Why is that?” I grinned. “Don’t you know I’m a trouble- maker.” I winked.
Robert and Rayna laughed in unison, “You may be, but I am like you, I believe women should know how to fight. Father has taught both of us how to sword fight. For me, it is for protection just in case of something, while Robert is his heir and a man thus he should know his way with the sword.”
“I find that silly, that man must know how to sword fight while a woman should not.”
“Why do you find it silly?” Robert asked quietly.
“Well, as stated before I believe woman should be able to learn the art of fighting if she wishes, while in turn if a man doesn’t want to learn, he shouldn’t be forced. I know someone who is a great person, but he doesn’t really know how to fight. By now he’s probably forgot how to fight with a sword.” I laughed, trying to picture Vay with a weapon. *Nope, can’t picture it!*
“You do not meet many men who cannot fight. Is he considered a ‘man’ in your society?” Rayna asked with surprise in her voice.
“Oh yes, he is a very well respected man, but his job isn’t to know how to fight but to keep order and peace. He’s actually my partner.”
“Partner?”
“Yes, where I am from most people are placed into two man teams; a fighter and a seer. I am the fighter, while he oversees everything I do and takes care of the boring political aspect of our job. Therefore, he is trained in the art of people dealing, while I am not.”
“Where are-“ Rayna was cut off as we entered the training grounds and her father waved us over.
“Robert. Rayna. Miss Tristis, how are you?” He smiled as he sheathed his practice sword.
“Fine father.” Rayna replied as she leaned in and kissed his cheek.
“Careful, I am full of sweat.” He kissed her back without touching her.
“I am well.” Robert nodded.
“And you Miss Tristis?”
“Please, Jonathan, call me just Tristis or Tris. I don’t need any fancy honorific and I am doing better.” I smiled.
“Getting a bit stuffy at dinner, were you?” Understanding gleamed in his eyes as he smirked.
“Oh yes, you have no idea.” I laughed.
“Well, would you like to give those people something to gossip about?” He smirked again but this time with mischief written all over it.
I cocked an eyebrow. *This should be interesting.* “Oh, and how can I be even more of a gossip topic?”
“Would you do me the honor of sparing me?”
“Sure.”
“Okay, let me tell the training captain and meet me over in the circle when you are ready.”
“Weapons?”
“Any you wish to use and it does not have to wood. If you choose to use wood weapons I will also use them.”
“Okay, I will be over there soon.” He bowed and left to set up the match.
♠ ♠ ♠
A longer chapter than normal, but a lot happens in it =)