Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Detest You Not, I Detest You

"Tristis, I have been calling you for a few minutes now. Are you okay?” Jonathan smiled.
“Tough day, I think Anita’s mad at me.”
“What happened?”
*I told her the truth.* “I said something I probably shouldn’t have. Don’t worry, I’ll fix it later.” I smiled reassuringly.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, thank you for worrying.”
He smiled and then asked, “Do you wish to try and make a dagger?”
My face immediately lit up as I squealed, “Yes!” causing him to laugh and I eagerly followed him to his shop. Robby was working and waved without looking up. I waved back and dressed in the proper attire for working. I quickly braided my hair and pinned it up so it would not catch on fire or cause problems. With Jonathan instructing, I slowly worked the metal into a decent shape. By the time dinner time came around, I had made the blade as perfect as angelically possible on a human world.
“I have to say, Tristis, I think your blade is better shaped than mine.” Jonathan grinned as I dipped the heated metal into cool water and placed it off to the side.
“That’s because I’m a major perfectionist and won’t be satisfied until even the tiniest bumps are flattened out.” I replied as I wiped a hand across my sticky forehead.
“I understand you perfectly.” He cackled and took my apron to hang up. “Would you like to stay for dinner?”
“Thanks, but I should really go back. We have a guest at the castle.” I almost growled out the latter statement.
“You do not seem to like this new guest.” Robby commented.
“Do not like sharing the lime light, Tristis?” Jonathan teased.
“Hey, any other guest I’d probably like, this new person however is someone I do not like. At All.” My eyes narrowed at the thought of Carson.
“Who is it?” Robby asked, slightly concerned.
“Oh, I’m not gunna tell, you’ll hear soon enough.” A teasing smiled played across my lips. “Later, Jonathan and Robby, thank you so much for letting me work.”
“No problem, come back soon to finish the dagger.” Jonathan hugged me a good-bye.
“I’ll no doubt be back soon, especially if the guest stays long. Bye Robby.” I hugged him and left. I jogged back, realizing it was later than I originally thought. As I passed a guard I asked, “How late am I?”
“Just got in there, you may want to hurry though.” He gave me a look over and cringed.
“That bad?” He gave me a sympathetic nod and I groaned. I did my best to at least make my hands less dirty, but with little success. “Sorry I’m late.” I apologized as I entered. “And for being dirty.”
“Try to clean up next time, okay Lady Tristis?” King Able smiled kindly and ushered me to sit. Anita gave me a slight glared and I ended up sitting next to Carson. The food was brought out and conversation was light. King Able mostly talked to Carson about his kingdom and different customs, and in turn Carson asked about Able’s kingdom. I kept my eyes down on my plate, but listened intently on the conversation. Eventually the topic was run dry and Carson started talking to me, much to my displeasure.
“Tris, how did you come to be so dirty?” Carson placed down his utensils and turned to me. I glanced up and replied.
“I was learning to make a dagger. It’s long, grueling, dirty work, but I have to admit I do enjoy it.”
“Oh? How far did you get?”
“Well,” I leaned back and thought, “I was able to mold it and finished the blade portion. I still need to make the hilt, wrap it, sharpen the blade, and if I choose to, carve it.”
“How long have you been working on it?”
“I spend the latter part of the morning, all afternoon, and until I ran here working on it.”
“It took you that long to make just the blade part of the dagger?” Carson raised his eyebrows in surprise. *Wow, for once I don’t feel any sort of disgust towards him. I’m actually enjoying this conversation.*
“I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so I had to make sure the blade was perfect; had a smooth surface. Plus you have to keep heating it, pounding it, cooling it, and then repeat the process, so it takes a while.”
“I see, that is quite interesting. I unfortunately was unable to learn how to craft a weapon since I had to learn to care for a kingdom.” I nodded in acknowledgment. “Have you gotten into any fights lately?” He grinned.
*Here we go.* “I have.”
“Lady Tristis warned a village of an ambush and protected Anita from being killed.” King Able smiled. “She is quite the fighter.”
“I must agree, I saw her fight twice. Once against a plethora of thugs and another time against one of my best guards. I was so impressed with her, I asked her to join my army.”
King Able’s eyes widened in surprise and before he could ask anything I replied, “Yes you did, and I told you no.” Carson opened his mouth and I quickly growled, “And the answer is still no.”
“Why make a weapon and have the ability to incapacitate dozens of enemies if you do not fight for someone?” Carson asked exasperated.
“To protect those who can’t protect themselves and who said I do not fight for someone? If I recall, at one of the dinners at your castle I said I was from a far off place. I am a fighting member of my own society, therefore I will not be fighting for your country or any country besides my own.”
“What your country does not know, will not hurt them.” Carson tried to persuade.
I looked straight into his eyes and with an annoyed face replied, “No, and that is final. Do not ask again.”
“Would you join King Able’s army if he asked you too? I am sure he has seen how much of an assent you would be if you joined.” *A trap, I see right through you.*
“No, I am merely a guest here. Please stop pestering me about joining an army other than my own.” I replied neutrally, doing my very best not to hiss at him. *So much for a nice talk.*
“What if you got stuck in a fight or a war? Would you fight?” Carson pushed, snapping my patience.
“As a civilian, now if you will excuse me I am tired and wish to retire. King Able, Princess Anita, and Carson, good-night.” I did not even bother to ask to be excused; I got up and left for my room. Anita did not knock on my door that night or any night here after, and I regretted that our friendship could never be the same again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Listening to Trock and dressed in Ren clothing, definitely got my creative juices going. Here's a fun dinner with Carson!
So Lexicon came from a friend requesting me putting the name somewhere so I did, so if you want a little something in here since you are awesome readers just put it in the comments and I'll try to include. Cheers! and wish me luck on my A&P exam =)