You'll Never Outrun What Waits for You Tomorrow

I Drink to Numb the Pain and Forget...

My eyes ripped there way open from a restless night’s sleep as I pushed myself up. I turned to my nightstand and popped open my pill bottle grabbing my dose and dry swallowing them. About ten minutes later my mind woke up enough to decide to call Kari. She had been so pushy on the subject of Dj and I that she wanted to constantly check up on me, I felt like I was on suicide watch.

“Hey Kari,” I spoke into the receiver, “What’s up for today?”

“Hey dude! I was just about to call you, Beckett wants us to come over and help her with some stuff… Then James invited us for a kickback.”

“Dj won’t be attending will he?” I asked knowing the answer.

“No he won’t Audrey… Sheesh.” She sighed.

“Awesome,” I stated, “You down to pick me up?”

“No problem.” She replied, “I’ll be there in ten.”

When Kari arrived we stopped off at becketts house gathering some undisclosed information before heading to James’ house. He greeted us with a warm smile and invited us in. Kari and I snuck away slightly giving Beckett a chance to gaze at the house and the man she’d become quite accustomed to.

“I’m glad you guys could make it, There’s drinks in the kitchen--” James got cut off by my mind which was strictly aimed to liquor.

I quickly put a spring to my step and headed for the kitchen. My heart skipped with joy as I saw all the alcohol lined up in a row. Grabbing the first glass I could find, and filling it with ice, I poured straight Vodka in my glass.

“Egh…” Kari gagged, “You’re not mixing it with anything?”

“No,” I stated flatly, “Against my diet.” I lied.

“Oh…” She mumbled grabbing herself a drink and heading into the living room with me.

No sooner than later James and Beckett joined us and we all started to converse.

“You sure you’re okay with straight vodka kid?” James joked, “I’m sure I got some wine coolers in the fridge.”

Kari looked at me closely eyeing my reaction, clearly sweating bullets next to beckett.

I laughed, surprising her, “Nah, I blame the beach situation on fatigue and starvation! Just saying! I am in no way a lightweight!”

He laughed, “Sure, sure.”

I really enjoyed James’ upbeat aura, something about him made me want to give him a chance as a person instead of a scumbag. A few moments later, a knock on the door startled me as I looked to Kari who seemed a bit uneasy. James got up on cue to answer it and my Jaw clenched.

“Kari… If that’s” My warning was cut short when Dj entered the room.

“What is HE doing here?”
“What is SHE doing here?”
We yelled in unison staring at Kari for an answer.

She stood in between us, “You two are here because you have mutual friends, and you two ARE going to PLAY NICE.”

I sighed grabbing my empty glass and stepped into the kitchen to refill it. When I finished, I sat on the couch next to Beckett. We all tried the best to act civil considering the giant elephant in the room. However the nerves were just too frayed to ignore when Dj’s knee touched mine.

Something inside me snapped and I looked to Beckett, “Switch seats with me Beckett, I can’t sit near DickJ. I might get a disease.”

Dj replied with a snide comment and I retaliated before Kari stood up.

“I’m tired of this!” She yelled, “We always have to put you in separate corners like three year olds! We are all adults, so you two better start acting like it or else!”

Silence washed over the room from Kari’s sudden outburst before I spoke, “I’m not the one that needs to act like an adult, I can be civil, Dj can’t.”

“I’m more mature than you, little girl!”

“Convincing” I snarled.

Dj’s POV-----------------

“FINE,” Kari sighed, “Have it your way.”

James stood up and looked down at Audrey sadly, “I’m really sorry about this….”

She gave him a strange look and before she could even ask why he picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder. She screamed and thrashed and I laughed at the sight before Kari came to me grabbing my earing tightly dragging me along. We both yelled in protest as they shoved us into the shoe closet before locking the door. Audrey was screaming and banging on the door as I found the light and pulled it on.

“KARI!!!!” she screeched, “LET ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

She beat at the door a few more times before turning around and started shaking.

“Audrey…?” I asked quietly as tears brimmed her eyes.

She whimpered and started to scratch the walls as she slid down the door. Her breathing got heavy and she started rocking back and forth.

“Audrey…?” I asked again getting in front of her, “Are you okay?” I touched her arm lightly.

She flinched and screamed before sobbing. She continued rocking back and forth as her breathing continued to increase at a dangerous rate.

“Audrey, Breath.” I commanded shaking her.

“I-i-I don’t wanna be here. I don’t wanna be here. I don’t wanna be here.” She repeated over and over scratching at her arms and rocking back and forth.

I got up to go scream at the door but she held me there tightly, “Don’t leave me. D-don’t leave me.”

I stopped and held her as she continued to cry and shake.

“KARI!!!” She shrieked again in a sob, “P-PLEASE!! Let me out!!!!!”

She sobbed out and we heard nothing in reply.

She screamed in anguish and looked at me, “D-daren, please. Please! I-I’m so sorry. Get me out of here. I can’t be here please let me out.” She begged.

I looked at her, almost through her; her eyes were filled with fear as she held me tightly.

I nodded and looked around the unfamiliar closet, “Okay, okay, I will. Don’t worry Audrey. Just take a deep breath okay?”

She nodded and tried to regain control of her frantic breathing, I started to stand and she grabbed me again, “Don’t leave me.” She squeaked.

“I’m not gonna leave.” I promised her.

She moaned in fear and held onto my left leg as I stood up. “Kari! Let us out now or else.” I threatened.

We heard nothing for what felt like an hour.

I fumed and turned to Audrey, “Cover your eyes.”

She looked up at me helplessly, and with her arms still around my leg she covered her eyes.

I put my hands on either of the closet walls and kicked out my leg bending the door forward. I set myself and kicked again, and with one more I smashed through the door falling out into the walkway. I quickly got up and glared at the three surprised faces.

“What the fuck is your problem Kari?!” I knew I was fuming.

“I--” She was speechless.

Audrey had finally gotten up and stumbled out of the closet, she looked to everyone and they all saw her makeup smeared and the scratches on her arm.

“Oh Audrey--” Kari went to hug her but she flinched away and quickly grabbed her purse running out of the house.

I looked out to her then to James, Beckett, and Kari, Then back again. For some reason I can’t understand, I was driven to follow her. I looked back to James who was scratching his head awkwardly.

“I-I’ll buy you a new door.”

He nodded and with that I grabbed my keys and ran to my car to go searching for Audrey.

Audrey’s POV-
I ran.
I ran away from everything, from my memories, from my emotions, from the whole situation I was put in. I ran until I got to a public street and a stop light, I pushed the crosswalk button and stood there enclosed in my own mind. I looked down at my reflection from a puddle in the street and sighed. Slowly, I ran my fingers through my hair and sniffed. I didn’t know the area very well so I decided to just walk in a straight line till I got somewhere, anywhere. A little over ten minutes later I heard an engine right behind me going at a slow pace. Curiosity getting the best of me, I looked and saw Dj looking at me.

I stopped as he pulled up to me and rolled down the window.

He looked at me with soft eyes, “Do you want a ride?”

I nodded, robotic, and got into the car. It was silent for a few blocks before he sighed.

“I’m sorry but I need a drink…”

I nodded agreeing and looked to him, “You wouldn’t happen to have a cigarette?”

He nodded and handed me his pack and a lighter, “Can you get me one too?”

I handed him one and lit it for him as he rolled down the windows before I lit mine inhaling the sweet nicotine. With my first exhale I was a bit more relaxed.

A few minutes of driving and Dj pulled up to a gas station and got out before looking to me, “Anything in particular?”

I started getting my wallet out, “A bottle of tequila and some reds please.” I handed him some money and he waved it off.

“Hey!” I called out, “I can pay for my own shit. I don’t need you to pay for me big shot.”

He glared at me and snatched the money shaking his head as he walked in. I sighed as I leaned back in my chair running my hands through my hair. I inhaled deeply into my next cigarette hit and it felt as though I was exhaling my soul. I flicked it away and waited for my reds to come to me. A few minutes later Dj walked out of the store with a bottle already open and a bag with my stuff in it. He got into the car and handed me my change and items.

“Would’ve been faster if you just let me pay” He sighed taking another drink.

I cracked open my bottle of tequila and took a long drink while the engine started again. I lit another cigarette as Dj drove on what looked like the outskirts of town. I had no Idea where we were going but I decided not to care as I fixed my makeup in his mirrior. We drove for what felt like 20 minutes in complete silence, nothing but the wind made any noise. He finally pulled up to a secluded area that over looked the LA River and part of the town.

He pulled up the E-break and turned the car off before sighing loudly.

“Audrey…” He sighed, “A—are you okay?”

He just said it, like he feared that question. And hell, I don’t blame him. Had it been any other day I would have slit his throat with my words. But not today, like this, I was so vulnerable.

“I will be okay.” I replied.

He nodded and another wave of silence floated over us.

“Daren…?” I spoke so softly.

“Yes Audrey?” He looked to me.

I swallowed my pride knowing he had already seen me at my worst, “Th-thank you.”

He didn’t gloat like I had expected him to, “You don’t need to thank me Audrey. Just... what happened?”

“It’s personal.”

He sighed, “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to….”

I sighed looking to him. I knew he deserved an answer considering all the events that occurred.

“M-my name is not Audrey Leanne Aries.” I started quietly, “My birth name is Audrey Lee Croach. I was born in Sunnyvale California to a family of three boys.”

I gathered myself for a moment from all the memories seeping through the cracks I’ve built for so long. I looked to Dj, somebody I’ve called my enemy for so many years, with optimistic eyes knowing in my heart he would no longer judge me.

“When I was three my mom left… And when she left, my dad I guess… gave up on me. He had three sons, what was the point of dealing with me right?”
I inhaled a shaky breath and breathed out.

“My brothers were my own meaning of hell; they did everything and anything you can think of. I was a human punching bag for all of them…”

“The closet though…?” Dj asked after a moment.

“When my father or brothers got really angry or didn’t want to deal with me they’d put me in the shoe closet. I’d sit in there for days… To feed me they’d shove fruit snacks and shit under the door… It was just me, in the dark...” My lip quivered as I tried to hold in my tears, “Who would do that to a little girl? I didn’t know any better!” I shook my head.

There was a shift of silence before I felt myself be engulfed in his arms. Something deep inside me shattered and I fell apart right in his arms. After what felt like so long I pushed him away and sat up readjusting myself.

“That’s just why I don’t like closets okay?” I snapped at him.

He wiped a stray tear from my cheek as I flinched.

“I sorry Audrey… If I had known…”

“You’d what? Pity me?” I snapped lighting a cigarette letting his hand stay on my knee, “I don’t need your pity Daren… just your understanding.”

“I understand.” He looked to me, “And I’m sorry. For everything I’ve done. I know it may not erase all these years we’ve spent hating each other, but I hope you give me another chance.”

I chewed on my cheek for a moment before looking away to the river. I shook my head before looking back to Dj.

“I just don’t know what to do right now Dj…”

He seemed let down and looked away sadly.

“Just let me get back to you on that… okay?”

“I just want you to know I’m really not an asshole.”

I nodded biting my lip, “Just—Can you promise me one thing?-- As a test for my forgiveness.”

He nodded, “Anything.”

“All the events you’ve seen today… Heard… Can that just stay between us?” I couldn’t look at him as I spoke these words.

He put his hand out to me, “You can count on me Audrey.”

I sighed as I looked at his extended hand my heart racing as I put trust into the first man of my life.

“Don’t let me down Daren…” I shook his hand.

I kept our hands entwined together as we looked over the LA River. I needed to be cared for, and I needed human contact. Dj seemed to understand that as he put his arm around me.

“You know…” he started, “I think this is the closest I’ve ever been to you.”

I laughed, “Am I making you uncomfortable DickJ?”

“No.” He chuckled.

“How’d you find this place?” I asked.

“It’s somewhere I came across when family shit started getting to me. It’s been my sacred place ever since.”

I nodded sitting up, “It’s getting late…”

“Yeah…” He said, “Let me take you home.”

“Thanks Daren.” I told him, “I’ll see you when I see you…”

“The art show,” He stated more like a question, “Am I invited?”

I nodded after a second, “Sure. Did Kari tell you about it?”

He smiled as I got out of the car, “Nope.”

“Well how did you know…?”

He smirked starting the car back up, “Who do you think sent them the samples?”

And with that he sped away.

I stood there for a moment, mouth open in shock. I couldn’t believe it was DJ who sent the art pieces to the show. Did he bribe them to showcase my art? His car roared into a U-turn and he sped away waving as he drove by. I waved slightly as a real smile cracked through my hard shell before I was interrupted by my front door opening.

“Audrey…?” A small voice asked.

I turned around to see Kari and checked the drive way to see her car, “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to make sure you’re alright...” She sighed, “I never meant for that to happen Audrey… I just wanted my family to stop all the fighting…”

I waved for her to stop and shook my head, “I know you only tried to do what was best for us. For me… You had all the best intentions and I am sorry for treating you so badly it came to all this.”

“It was just too much pressure set on the dam that led to the city drowning.” She shook her head.

I laughed at her face when she tried to picture her vision, “All is forgiven if you forgive me for being such an asshole all these years.”

She shook her head and pulled me into a hug, “You being yourself is what makes me love you. I just never see it very often.”

“Well, I’m going to try and change that. Just trust me, okay?”

She nodded as we pulled away.

“No more trying to help please.” I smirked.

“Well how’d you get home?” she smirked, “Obviously I helped somehow.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Huge hugandkiss to misssssss Car.crash.hearts <3
You know I love you!