Status: Finished

I'll Be There

The Golden Gods

“Hurry up, we’re gonna be late!” I yelled to the boys. James stopped beside me as we both turned around to see Nikki and Dj hurrying up behind us carrying guitar cases. Tonight would change everything. A night of firsts, I suppose. Ample environment for something to go wrong too, but that’s just my negative side speaking. It was Sixx: A.M.’s first live show in about 4 years, my first time doing anything technical for Dj (as practice for Guns, he says), and our first time in public together as a couple. Fangirls were sure to put my face on a dartboard tonight. What’s worse is all of the junkmail I’ve been getting on Facebook and Twitter after Nikki announced our relation on Sixx Sense. I suddenly realized that the people of the world were both diverse and opinionated. Many congratulated me, others resented me, others still didn’t believe me at all. Nikki helped me learn how to ignore them though. “They aren’t worth your time.” He explained. I also met my half-sister Storm and insisted that she had the coolest name on Earth. I also couldn’t believe how much she was like Nikki. I knew I had some Sixx in me somewhere, but Dj keeps me under control most of the time. Speaking of all of this, I still couldn’t bring myself to call him “Dad”, which he understood completely. He didn’t mind at all that I still called him Nikki, and insisted that we act like we normally do. That seemed to be working out great. It was normal for everybody, with the added perks of Sixx “family reunions” as we called it. Let’s just say we have our moments in public.
Dj and Nikki tossed their things into the trunk of the limo and jumped in, me behind them and James right behind me. I gaped like a moron at the interior of the vehicle. The boys each gave me a weird look. They kept forgetting that I wasn’t used to the rockstar lifestyle yet, and I sometimes forgot they were. But I might as well get used to it. Besides, the media will never leave me alone again, not between Nikki AND Dj. As I put on my poker face and watched the streets roll by from Nikki’s house I thought about the upcoming Guns tour. It would be strange, touring the world with a band, and being away from Nikki. Supposedly Motley was touring there as well around June, and Dj said I could tradeoff between bands for a bit. For that I was grateful. As I was beginning to realize, I think I love Dj, but I would miss my dad too. I smiled at the thought. I was grateful to have a father for once. It wasn’t long before we got there. We pulled up back first to drop the guitars, then had to appear on the black carpet for the pre-show. I was giddy with excitement. Sixx: A.M., Slash, Alice Cooper, BVB and Dee Snider, it was going to be a rock fest from hell, and it was going to be amazing.
We had almost made it to the door when one of the reporters caught us. She was staring right at me. “Raven!” the woman cooed, “here to watch your father perform for the first time?” I put on the nonchalant smile that Nikki had taught me. “Actually, I’ve seen him play before.” She nodded with her preppy smile and turned the mic to Nikki. “Mister Sixx, how have the past few weeks been with your new daughter?” He gave the woman his signature glare that was reserved for only the annoying reporters, and I held back a giggle. “Well first of all it’s Nikki, not “Mister” anything. Secondly, she’s not very new is she? In fact she’s almost 20.” Then he smiled sarcastically and left the woman speechless. Dj, being the kind killjoy that he is, took my hand and caught her attention. “Mister Ashba, do you have anything to announce?” she looked suspiciously at our locked fingers. “Actually Ms. Reede, I do. Raven and I have been in a relationship for a while and have decided to stop hiding it due to her newfound fame.” He kissed my cheek and I smiled, not at the kiss but at his wordplay. Somehow he managed to make that kind and a sarcastic comeback all at once. Her eyes got wide and we could all see the questions popping into her head. Nikki tapped his shoulder and turned away before she could speak. “Sorry Ms., we’ve got a sound check to do. Thank you for your time.” And with that we filed off through the door as quickly as we could.
Our hands separated and I beamed at them. “That was sweet! I love being sarcastic to reporters.” I laughed and ran up to the stage ahead of them. I bounced up the steps and stood center stage, throwing my arms out. “I so wish I could be up here with you guys!” They all stopped and stared at me. I put my arms down. “What?” The three were silent. I glared at them and saw Dj barely nod at me to turn around. There behind me was Alice Cooper.
“Alice Cooper?!” I screamed, instantly throwing my hands over my mouth after I said it. He smiled at me. “Ah, the newest Sixx right? Nice to finally see you. Nikki is a cool guy, you’re lucky.” I was still standing there like an idiot, and thankfully Nikki walked up and hugged his friend. “Long time no see Coop, how have ya been?” “Same old Sixx.” Nikki smiled to the older musician. “You should hang out with me at Sixx Sense, by the way, weren’t you going to play with-“ “Slash!” I mumbled a scream from behind my clamped hands. Nikki raised an eyebrow at me and looked beside him to see the guitarist. “Ah, him.” “What’s up you old motherfucker.” Slash greeted him, hugging his friend. Dj appeared beside me and tugged my arm gently. “We’re on first, so let’s go set up the equipment alright?” I nodded absently, staring at the duo only feet from me as he pulled me backstage. He led me to the guitars and rig and finally managed to pry my hands off of my mouth. I instantly started blabbering “Alice Cooper was right behind me and he talked to me and then Slash was right there and then” Dj put his hand over my mouth and looked in my eyes. “Focus Ray, I know you’re not used to this but you can’t be a fan anymore. Not only being my girlfriend but Sixx’s daughter you have to act professional. Help me set this up now?” I hesitantly nodded, knowing he was right. Dj showed me how to set up everything for his rig and went to grab the guitars.
I began plugging everything in and turning it on when there was a voice behind me “I wouldn’t do that.” I squinted and took a breath, who was it now? I turned around and swallowed my gasp. “Wouldn’t do what?” I asked nonchalantly, putting on my Sixx poker face. The spikey haired boy took the amp chord from me and plugged it into the next jack over. “That should sound much better.” He smiled. Then he held out his hand. “Jake Pitts.” I took it and returned the smile. “I know. Raven.” I replied, I never added Sixx at the end unless they already knew who I was. “I know.” He released my hand. “Who’s rig are you setting up?” He looked it over. “Dj’s.” I said, returning to my work. He laughed. “Ashba? I love that dude. He worked on a Motley Crue album right? Man what I’d give to work with someone with that talent. Motley was a huge inspiration for Black Veil Brides.” I finished up and clapped dust off my hands, turning to Jake. “Well Jake, nice meeting you, and thanks. I’d hate to mess up on my first job.” “No problem.” He smiled again, looking slightly emo but adorable. Dj appeared behind the guitarist with his own guitar. “Everything okay baby?” he asked. Jake flinched and turned around. I smiled warmly at Dj and took his guitar from him. “Everything is great, Jake was just helping me out. Good thing he did too! I wouldn’t want to mess up.” I applied my innocent look and put his guitar on, starting to tune it. Jake held out his hand once again. “Dj Ashba, an honor sir. I’m Jake Pitts.” He took his hand kindly as usual. “Guitarist in the new band right? Good luck in the awards categories as well.” “Thank you.” Jake beamed. “Well, I better get back to Andy so we can rehearse once again, good luck Raven!” and he ran off. Dj raised an eyebrow at me. I set his guitar on the stand beside me and looked up at him. “What?” “Nothing, nothing.”
“Ray-Ray!!” James screamed, running up. I prepared myself for his strong embrace. “Sup blondie?” I greeted the singer. I could hear the show beginning outside. He literally shivered with excitement. “I can’t wait!! Not much longer now!” I beamed back at him. Being around the blonde so much lately has made me happier for some reason. “I know!! Oh my gosh, Sixx:A.M. is getting back together!” We held hands and jumped like kids. When we stopped I looked up to see both Dj and Nikki shaking their heads with their hands in their faces. I scratched my arm absent-mindedly. “So uh, let’s finish setting this stuff up?” I asked. “Please!” Nikki said sarcastically, plugging things into his rig. I grabbed his bass and checked the tuning. Dj fixed up his hair, tossing his hat to me. I smiled, remembering the first time I ever had it, and put it on. Nikki and I looked up at each other at the same time, both finished. James grabbed his mic, their cue drawing nearer. Dj came up and hugged me. “You’ll be great” I assured him. He nodded and I fixed his already messy hair. Then Nikki hugged me as well and gave me his cocky smile. I shoved him away playfully. “I know you’ll be okay!!” I yelled to him. “Aww, you worried about your dee-jayy?” He drew his name out with a sneer. Dj punched his arm. “Knock it off man she’s supposed to be worried about me, boyfriends are more important than dads.” Nikki was about to say something when James jumped between them. “Alright guys c’mon we’re about to go on!” Their drummer ran past them at that moment. “Let’s go guys!” He said, climbing onto the dark stage. I turned on all the rigs and smiled at the guys. Nikki grabbed his bass and went to the other side. James and Dj stayed here. The intro to “This Is Gonna Hurt” Began. Dj kissed me quickly, then strummed his guitar. I could hear the drums pounding outside as he strummed again. I took a step back. “Go get em.” I said, and he went onstage.
“What’s up?!” James yelled before singing. I watched from behind, making a face at James. He should have practiced more. I peered farther out and saw Nikki bobbing his head to the music. Dj was improvising short solos into the song, which sounded amazing. I cringed as I heard a squeak. But the levels on his rig were all okay, everything was plugged in right, I made a face. Maybe it was that guitar he never uses. I wondered if he checked the pickups before the show. I pulled the earpiece off of my head and listened. It sounded fine. So it must be a problem with the broadcaster. I threw it down and watched the band, the crowd cheered. I bet half of them didn’t know who Sixx:A.M. even was. Then they played “Are You With Me.” I loved this song, and I sang along quietly.
It ended all too soon. Dj and James came running back to me, James screaming “That was so awesome!” and continuing to boast about it. I hugged Dj and fluffed up his hair. Nikki showed up soon after. “Well, just gotta stay for my award, then we can go.” He said. I frowned. “We’re leaving?” then it dawned on me, “and you won?? Yay Dad that’s great!” I hugged him enthusiastically. He didn’t hug back though. I let go and looked at him. “What?” “You called me Dad.” He said slowly, like I had spoken in another language. I blinked and thought back. “I did?” He nodded. No wonder he was a little freaked, we were closer than anything but I had still never called him anything but Nikki. “I…I guess I’m proud of you, I’m finally proud to have a father.” My heart drummed, and I knew it was truer than anything I had ever said. I was proud of him. I was proud to be related to him. He smiled at me and opened his arms, offering me a real hug. I took it happily. Then I put on my pout again. “But I wanna watch the rest of the show!” I complained. Dj took my hand. “I’ll stay with you.” He assured me. “Really?” “Yes.” He smiled. James cut in, “I’m staying to! Then afterwards, the party’s just beginning.” He grinned a simply devious smile, and we made our way to the back of the audience.