Status: Finished

I'll Be There

Rehearsal

I now had my own pair of AshbaSwag pants that I wore with dignity, along with my Guns N’ Roses tee. Dj’s rig manager was showing me all the bells and whistles of a real stadium-sized set up. I was in awe. Not only that, but I was home. I memorized every switch and button, then followed around the rest of the crew and learned their jobs. I felt like I could take on the world and put on the whole show myself. Dj soon found me amongst the mess of people and led me away. “Where are we going?” I asked, still looking around me at all of the interesting sights. He smiled, and I remembered the first night. The buzz of cleanup, the eerie moon, the crash of waves…
We stopped and he handed me leatherface. I beamed and grabbed the instrument, it was my favorite one. “Put it on.” He instructed. I did as he said and he adjusted the strap. “Perfect.” He looked down at me happily and I stared back up curiously. “Oh, almost forgot.” He said, taking his hat off and placing it evenly on my head. “There.” I scratched my arm. “Dj, what are you doing?” He laughed. “You remember the solo I taught you a few months ago?” I nodded, wondering where he was going with this. He hooked a receiver onto my pocket, then he grabbed my hand and led me through the people once more. I saw the stage up ahead. “Alright, new lead guitarist of Guns N’ Roses, have fun!” He yelled, shoving me onstage. I stared back at him in shock. He was kidding right? I glanced back and saw a few crew members in the crowd, and noticed the drummer and bassist onstage as well. Bumblefoot came up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder. “You ready for your first gig? Center stage, let’s go Ms. Sixx.” “Uhh.” I stuttered. I remembered playing with Motley, but that was different. It was a small place and nobody was watching. This however was a huge arena with crew watching and people in lines outside that would probably hear. “Count of 4!” The drummer yelled. I heard four symbol taps. Without further ado I stepped onto the amp center stage and began Sweet Child O Mine.
I felt much better when the rest of the band kicked in, this way I knew I wouldn’t mess up. Dj’s hat weighed on my head and I knew he was watching, cheering me on. I suddenly felt carefree, happy, and excited. I jumped as I heard Axl’s voice cue in. I stepped back off the amp and went to Dj’s side of the stage. Axl really was singing. Holy shit. I thought he hated me. Richard looked over to me and smiled, a sign that I was doing good. I beamed back and lifted the guitar for the chorus riff. I was having so much fun! “Wooooah woah oooh Sweet Child of Mine.” I sang along. I glanced beside me and saw Dj laughing and clapping. He did his little dance, and I had a flashback to the LA concert. I laughed at him and copied it, not as good but still good enough. I heard the guys in the crowd yell and I smiled more, I thought my cheeks would fall off.
Bumble came over to me and we doubled the bridge before the solo. Then he backed off and glanced at the center stage amp. I nodded and jumped up, tapping my foot and clapping, then brought up the guitar and began the solo. I did it! I played the whole thing flawlessly! I started jumping as I played I was so thrilled. Bumble picked up after the solo for all the bends and I fell back with Richard. Axl came over to me and shared the mic. “Where do we go now?” We sang. The song ended and I screamed. “Hell yeah!!” I was out of breath from jumping so much during the song. Dj ran onstage and hugged me, picking me up and swinging me around. I was surprised that the guitar didn’t come off the strap and wondered what sort of black magic could allow that. Some professional gadget I was sure. He let me down and kissed me. “You were great!” He cheered. I took his hat off and replaced it on his head. “Now it’s your turn.” I said, already feeling the weight of the guitar on my shoulders. He must be tired as hell after these 3 hour gigs. He nodded. “Indeed it is.” And I followed him backstage.